4.0 out of 5 stars they were in a hurry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced rush job, November 5, 2009
Russell J. LEBAR (O' Fallon, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
If you like the original Japanese then this only has dubtitles (i.e. the subtitles are for the English adaptation which do not always match the original). And if you like the English dub, the final scene (after the credits) in the final episode is only in Japanese even though it was broadcast in English. Whoever did the DVDs likely treated this final scene like the previews after each episode which are also only in Japanese.

So we have a high priced item, especially considering that prices have come down in the Anime market, and they didn't even do a good job on it. And so far there is no word if Sony will allow us to exchange the final disk for one that gets the English dub correct. So I'm dinging them for it. If they do respond favorably I will create a new review with a better rating.

The series itself of course is really good, it's just too bad Sony didn't put more effort into a decent DVD boxed set. My advice for now is to wait till the price comes down or you can find it on sale.

Update 2009-11-10: Word is that Sony will *not* be addressing the English dub issue in the final scene of the series, so my two-star review stands. :-(

4.0 out of 5 stars they were in a hurry, October 29, 2009
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
well, finaly they release the 2nd part of blood+, my fave anime, but i think that they were in a hurry to get it done, while overall it is good, there were a few things that dod bother me, 1. they left the previews and the final part of the final episode in japanese with english subs, while i have no problem with watching it that way, i kinda just would have liked to see it in english as well, 2. i dunno if it was just me, but when i had to change the language to enlgish and turn subs off, again no problem watching it in japanese but its just the way i watch it the 1st time, and there seemed to be long pauses at the begining of each episode and after break, unless it was just me, also the interviews are kinda messed up, the translator (sp?) seems boring and i dont think he is translating everything right and also, this is the 2nd part, so why do some of the questions seem like they dunno about 2nd part at all, well if you love blood+ you should get this for sure, but they are a few minor problems to those who want their anime expierence to be perfect, like me

like i said, it seems they were in kind of a hurry to get it out

and one last thing, they labeled the final episode name wrong, yes it is correct in the english translation, but the true name is Nan-kuru-nai-sah

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cut Above, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
If you have seen the first half then this is a must see.
Many questions are answered..Who the Schiff are and how they came about. Why Saya was killing everybody in Vietnam 30 years ago. What was the promise Haji made to Saya. As with the first half of the series the music(execellent) makes the mood and the animation remains true from start to finish of the series. There are twists to keep interested. This half takes you to Paris,London and New York on Saya's quest to kill Diva. I will not tell you what happens as you need to see it for yourself. I hate reading reviews that give away to much of the story. There is no real nudity/fan service and next to zero foul language. Fight scenes are great and still a far amount of Blood.
This is the same style box set as the fist half. You get a total of 5 DVD's (full screen format) in 3 thin-pak DVD's-one on each side. Also you get Manga sampler and a knit hat,instead of a T-Shirt. Extras..only on disc 5 which is interviews and a few previews of Live Action movies. When you watch the Writer/Director interview you get the feeling that he wants to do more of Blood +.
Even though it is rather expensive I highly recommend this entire series.
In the product discription it says "Languages-JAPANESE" I ordered from AMAZON and mine has both ENGLISH & JAPANESE and as far as the subtitles I had English and French(did not check the French). When it comes to the subtitles the English version is pretty much word for word with the voice overs. Also there are still no English credits as was the first half....for me all those things are minor...still an Excellent show!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ending to a Great Series, April 9, 2011
Angela H. (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
I can honestly say that Blood+ Part II is among my favorite anime ever, just behind Wolf's Rain. I bought both Part I & II back in 2009 and just never got around to writing review, but there's no time like the present so here goes!!! For the sake of time and my sanity, I'm going to assume that everyone has seen Part I. If you haven't seen it yet and need a good review, E.A. Solinas wrote a great one under the Part I Box Set page here on Amazon.

In Part II, we see a new version of Saya, resigned to her fate and a series that is obviously racing towards its climax. Whereas sometimes Part I seemed a bit ponderous, most of Part II (with the exception of a couple of episodes) is packed with more battles, intrigue, secrets you won't even see coming, betrayal, blood, and thankfully MUCH less Kai (seriously if I had to hear that boy scream "SAAAAYYYYAAA one more time it was not going to end well for him, even if he is just a cartoon). All the secrets and conspiracies of the first 26 episodes begin to be answered and a whole slew of newer and much crazier secrets and conspiracies arise to take their place. This isn't a show that ends with a lot of unanswered questions. You may not like the answers to the questions, or you may find the way they get to the answers completely confusing, but at least you don't feel cheated. Less like Lost and more like the X Files when that show was good.

Part II is all about confrontations... Saya and Diva, Haji and Amshel, Haji and Solomon, David and himself, the Schiff vs. Diva and her Chevaliers... and best of all - the confrontation between Saya and Haji. Confrontation is the core of this season - confronting your demons and putting the past behind you so that you can live in the present. Let me tell ya, without trying to spoil your dinner with too much dessert, the Haji/Solomon, Haji/Amshel & Saya/Haji confrontations are worth the price of the box set. Seriously.

As for the DVDs, yes, Sony rushed them. The extras are minimal at best. There are interviews but only with the Japanese cast and crew which is interesting, but the English dub on this anime is really great for the most part. A lot of these English actors also worked on anime like Ghost in the Shell and Wolf's Rain. The subtitles are a direct English translation, which is lazy in my opinion. And yes, the final scene after the credits is only in Japanese. Lazy, but thank heaven they included it at all.

The music is great. Diva's theme is outstanding. It reminds me a bit of that aria from The Fifth Element. My favorite of the themes is the opening from season 2 (there are 4 seasons even though there are only 2 box sets). This is one of two sound tracks that I own - the other being both sound tracks by Yoko Kanno for Wolf's Rain.

So, to sum up, in my opinion Blood+ is a fantastic anime and more than worth your time. Part II is much more intense than Part I. It's a very well balanced show. It's a great action show, a great love story, beautiful animation, pretty well written, and beautiful music. My complaints are: that I'd like a real English subtitle track; I wish they'd fix the final scene so that it's in English; since the series was so popular, I'd like to see some really good extras aimed at the American market; and last but not least, despite the bluray controversy, I'd really like to see it on bluray since Sony owns both the series and the technology.

*** One last note on the Blood+ series***

If you haven't seen it and you're considering buying it without watching it, I suggest getting a free trial to Netflix first. It's part of their streaming service if you're a member. You get like 10 days with your free trial. Hopefully, you'll be able to get far enough into the series to figure out if you really want it or not because buying the box sets for both Blood+ I & II is really expensive. Trust me.

Hope my review helps! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conclusion to an amazing anime series!, August 12, 2010
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
This box set ties up all the loose ends to this amazing anime masterpiece! These final 25 episodes digs you deeper into the characters and the situations each of them are in and will be facing. The masterful storytelling continues and allows you to become even more attached to the characters and heighten your view experience more. The animation quality is as beautiful as ever, the action sequences are intense, the drama and revelations are gripping, the quality of the soundtrack remains high, and the storyline keeps getting better and better. By the time the final episode approaches, you will be sitting on the edge of your seat. The conclusion to this series was very well done and satisfying overall, in my honest opinion. A must see for fans of vampire-related anime or just fans of HIGH QUALITY anime in general!

5.0 out of 5 stars The End to a great series., July 13, 2013
Richard Ranta "rranta" (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
This is the second part of the 50 episode TV series "Blood +". I loved this series with it's character development and also, the changing of the main characters upon learning their background. This part two is special since for some reason, part one is no longer available. Terrible way to run a company!
But this series is all and more that the original "Blood; the last vampire" film was. That was great and this series carries on from there. I found no fault with anything in this series. I hope you all enjoy it like I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
Blood is an awesome series! I was so excited to learn that the company finally came out with the Part 2 bookset. The price was great! I highly recommend this series. It will keep you watching nonstop. It's definitely better the real life movie version that came out this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, December 24, 2009
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
This is for anyone that bought the Part 1 box set that came with the t shirt a few years back. Why Sony took forever to finally release this part is unknown to me. However, the story is a different way to look at vampires in modern times. The show's writing is very well done. You can definitely see character development as the show progresses.

When it aired on Adult Swim, I saw the first episode and was not impressed with it. Later flipping through channels one night I caught an episode that was much later in the series and the show had really become interesting. I would recommend this product to anyone that enjoys the vampire myth and has an open mind to it being presented in a different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am certainly a follower of Saya!!!, October 23, 2009
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
I first want to clear something up, this second half (episodes 26-50) of Blood+ is in English and/or Japanese. There was a comment left giving 3 stars bashing the Japanese producers and crying about how it's only available in the Japanese language. This is not true so if you're holding back on buying this because of that you are being misled. This last half is awesome and comes with a beanie cap and a small booklet. The sound is in stereo only like the first half and the picture is in full screen as well.

The beany cap that comes with it is pretty sweet even for somebody like me.

So 5 stars all the way. An absolutely must have to finalize your Blood+ craving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood + part two, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Blood +: Part Two (DVD)
If you own Blood + part one. The first 25 episodes left me wanting more out of Saya. When I say more I mean a stronger, more tough character. One that could hold her own. In part two, I was quite happy to see how Saya's character had transformed into a fighting machine. Even her little girl school outfit changes into some thing more kwel. I would definitely recommend part two the last 25 episodes. The ending is a little strange but it is an ending. I felt completely happy with the series in it's entirety.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blood +: Part Two
Blood +: Part Two by Junichi Fujisaku (DVD - 2009)
$159.99 $19.18