5.0 out of 5 stars A Brief Recollection, January 20, 2012
Douglas Doepke (Claremont CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Passion: The Ludlow Massacre and Class War in the American West, First Paperback Edition (Paperback)
I recall growing up in Colorado only 100-miles from Ludlow and never learning of the tragic events that unfolded there. My schooling was in the 1940's and 50's, so it wasn't too long afterwards. I guess those events of 1914 were part of the buried history of an area that many folks wanted to keep buried.

Thanks Mr. Martelle for writing the history all Coloradoans and others should know about. The book is a highly detailed account of the armed struggle between unionizing coal miners and resisting mine operators. It's more like a battle account as we follow the shifting lines of union miners, on one side, and industry hirelings, on the other. Add the behind-the-scenes manueverings of the various political factions, and it's a pretty crowded account.
Fortunately, the author attaches a helpful appendix listing the key figures for handy reference.

However, I think readers would have benefitted from an area map of southern Colorado and, if possible, a local map of the key struggle sites. In their absence, it's rather difficult to visualize the ebb and flow of the many military-like movements. Still, the text remains a riveting one as we follow events on the ground and how they were received by such major politicians and key industrialists as President Woodrow Wilson and John D. Rockefeller Jr., respectively. What's at stake is an epical one, that is, who will control conditions in the mines-- workers or profits.

I don't know about recent years, but in my day that Hispanic southern part of the state was largely ignored by the Anglo northern half, and even today remains a long way from such touristy watering holes as Aspen and Telluride. Nonetheless, thanks to Martelle's excellent work, I now know a lot more about a subject and an area I should have learned about, lo, so many years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons-Learned from History, November 24, 2009
Kurt D. Hamman (Idaho Falls, ID USA) - See all my reviews
Excerpt from page 1, Introduction:

"What experience and history teach is this -- that people and governments never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it."
-- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, from the introduction to Philosophy of History, 1832"

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten history, January 27, 2009
Too often history is written by the winners but not in this case. This should be required reading in school along with the Iron Heel by London. The money changers and robber barons of today would have you believe that they are benevolent employers when in actuality they are direct decendants of the main players in this book. If they could they would treat us just the same. Get it and read it to educate yourself of the forgotten struggle of labor in this country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on Ludlow and the coal strike, June 11, 2014
E. Kist (Hartsel, CO) - See all my reviews
I didn't buy the book on Amazon. I got it an a museum in Pueblo, Colorado that had a special exhibit on the Ludlow massacre. I know some of the events that had happened leading up to the coal miners strike, but I didn't know everything. This book had enough details to be complete and interesting, but not so many bits minutia to be a boring, dry read. I enjoyed this book very much even though the events sickened me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Colorado History, May 5, 2014
Seems to be a well-balanced account of a very contentious and passionate situation. A good in-depth account of a dangerous period in Colorado history.

$21.95 $19.76