4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting intro to VI
Published on May 13, 2001 by Christina P. Branson

3.0 out of 5 stars South Chicago native
How fun was that! I grew up on the streets of south Chicago. I think I really identified with the characters and the politics as I remember them. What memories.
Published 5 months ago by bkb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting intro to VI, May 13, 2001
This review is from: Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski Novels) (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first VI Warshawski book I ever read, and it did an excellent job of whetting my appetite for more. I think Paretsky did an excellent job of drawing me into VI's world, which is rich with unique characters. VI comes across as individualistic and principled, and I like how Paretsky resisted cliché temptation on several counts: the complex issue of chemical responsibility is not wrapped up in a tidy bundle by the end of the book, and there is no "obligatory sex scene." Not that sex scenes don't have their places, but I just hate it when I'm reading along and I can almost hear the agent say, "Okay, author, you need to steam this up a bit right here if you want to sell this book." In this story, VI is all business, which is a delightful change of pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars layers of mystery and suspense, August 3, 2013
This many layered book has plots and sub plots. It has great characters and is a great read ...summer or winter it will keep you on your toes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 3, 2013
I love that V.I. Warshawski is a strong woman and takes no crap from men. The storyline was good also.

5.0 out of 5 stars blood shot, March 27, 2010
This review is from: Blood Shot (Hardcover)
I'm going back over some older VI novels, and they're all so good. Love how you can see the progress of technology through the novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Shot is another example of Paretsky's honesty, February 24, 2000
Sara Paretsky's writing has its faults and its biases, but I enjoy her Warshawski novels for their honesty, the uniqueness of her detective, and the warmth of some of her characters, like the older neighbor Sal Contreras. I don't think V.I. is in the least like Kinsey Milhone, in fact, she is more like Sam Spade, and I appreciate her for it. The Warshawski novels get progressively better, with Killing Orders as the worst, for its hints of bigotry, and Guardian Angel as the best, for its humanity. Deadlock is another favorite of mine, for the characters and the tremendous writing of the shipping business and the shipping catastrophe. V.I. is unique, and I cannot get enough of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love VI!!!, December 13, 2001
Kenda "kakiharrison" (Shelbyville, Tunisia) - See all my reviews
Vic is one of my favorite literary characters of all time. I adore her no nonsense toughness. She has been much criticized for her lack of humor, lack of friends, and her approach to life, which to me make her a unique character in the world of the fuzzy warm soft hearted female PIs. Vic takes nothing off of anybody, and I love her for it! Carry on Sara Paretsky...I hope Vic gets tougher and tougher and time goes by.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read!, May 27, 2014
Keep me coming and I will kep on reading them. I need to have a map of Chicago on hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Again and Again . . ., May 22, 2014
V. M. Ricks "Vinita M. Ricks" (Out and About often Beyond USA) - See all my reviews
Paretsky delivers. What starts off as an ordinary request, an atypical investigation for V.I. turns into something very powerful and engaging. We again get into the closet of V.I's past life and from that the tale is so unexpected, yet clear and clean. V.I has her hands full as she engages her own past demons and others to create a believable current day financial thriller that does not end in the expected way. It ends nonetheless with V.I showing courage, fortitude and patience. Good job.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read as always!, March 30, 2014
I so enjoy the warmth an real life persona of v.i. Warshawski. Keep writing Sara! You are a fantastic story teller!

5.0 out of 5 stars VI's best yet. This case will keep you going to last page, March 27, 2014
As always, the character development, the plot twists and pace are pure Paretsky. Settling mob control, environmental travesty and dodging hired killers all tie together in an explosive storyline.Enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski Novels)
Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski Novels) by Sara Paretsky (Mass Market Paperback - May 1, 1989)
$7.99 $7.19