5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tale - Could Be an Outline for a Full-Length Novel
Published 19 months ago by Michael Gallagher

3.0 out of 5 stars the ending wasn't what I expected
This was really good until the author decided to end it. Abruptly. I did like it a lot until that point, however.
Published 15 months ago by Vanessa Welser

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tale - Could Be an Outline for a Full-Length Novel, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
This is a fairly short work, and took me about an hour to read - in that short period of time, the author did a great job of quickly pulling you into the action as well as his characters. Without having a spoiler, I think he did an even better job of having you mentally picture the surrounding countryside and events taking place, which is impressive as compared to a full-length novel due to the limited amount of words on the Kindle. You feel like you are right there instead of an observer reading along with the story. I could see this one being expanded from the shorter format to a full-length novel.

I picked this up for free during a Kindle promotion and, as I write this review, I see the pricing has reverted back to 99 cents: you will certainly receive more than 99 cents worth of entertainment value out of this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different Side of Michael Wallace, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
"Blood of Vipers" isn't your usual Michael Wallace thriller, but it's a spell-binding novella that starts fast and doesn't let go. An American pilot goes down behind enemy lines in Nazi Germany and has to avoid capture, a difficult task in itself. But it's made tougher as he gets attached to a local family, and before long he's the American savior to a group of innocent Germans who fear Russian invaders as well as their own relentless Nazi leaders who refuse to admit the war is lost. Wallace carries the pilot through one layered war-is-hell complication after another, trying to sidestep Germans and Russians, sometimes winding up in or near the paths of battle. With exhaustion the unseen additional enemy as he dares not give in to his need for sleep, the pilot hopes to reach his fellow Americans to save himself and his newfound followers. Lots of twists, and the reader can get lost in the pilot's point-of-view, through which the entire story is told. Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Michael Wallace!, October 18, 2012
Lauren (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
Blood of Vipers is a bit shorter than the other books I've read from this author (the Righteous series) but definitely no less quality and no less interesting. Mr. Wallace is a great story-teller, putting in just the perfect amount of details that help you to really get to know the characters. Even in this shorter-than-average work, the characters were well-developed - even though I was surprised, at the end, by one character's actions. Not in a bad way, just unexpected. That same character dropped a very thought-provoking line to the main "hero" and it is one that I think will cause readers to really stop and think... IS there really a "Good" leader when it comes to war? Is each country (and their leader) really what they appear to be? Or is it possible that there may have been less-than-noble intentions even from the (supposed) good-guys?

The main character in this story, set in Europe near the end of WW2, is facing overwhelming odds... almost impossible odds, and his choices will decide the fates of several POWs. I found myself cheering him on, and hoping he made "the right" choices. I can't really say much more without spoiling the story, but suffice it to say that you will not want to put the book down until you know how it all ends.... (just like every book I've read from this author, who is now one of my all-time favorites.)

This is not the type of book I would have typically chosen, as I'm not normally drawn to war stories, but I really truly enjoyed every single chapter. I received this book free from the author, with an optional request for an honest review, which this is. I really loved the book! (and finished it in one afternoon) :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
Seriously boring. I was hoping for some twists and turns... something to make this different. Instead, good soldier refuses to give up Germans he doesn't know, shows bravery goes to sleep after a long March...Don't. bother

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a typical Michael Wallace, May 2, 2013
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
I have read many of Michael Wallace's novels, and liked them all - except for this one. It was a big disappointment. Not much substance compared to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars the ending wasn't what I expected, April 17, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay story, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
I have read several of Michael Wallace's other books and this one didn't feel up to par. Maybe it needed to be expanded with more story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blood of Vipers, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
I am a WWII buff, and am always ready to devour stories on the subject- this was no exception. I find Mr Wallace's characters intriguing. I love the depth of their back stories, and he is gifted in translating history into story form. My only criticisms are that I found my 'suspension of disbelief' stretched beyond breaking at several points in the story, the dialogue was unrealistic- not BAD- just implausible, and the book was too short. If more time were spent developing the character's relationships (in a longer story) the dialogues would have more believable. I'd give another 1/2 star if given the option...

3.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, February 16, 2013
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
As an avid military fiction fan I really enjoyed this book. Too bad it was so short. I really would have liked to find Cal seeking out Greta afterthe war.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast read, great read, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Blood of Vipers (Kindle Edition)
I am not sure why, but there is something about this writer that keeps me reading. Second book I read from him, he knows how to captivate me, I can not put his books down.
No, I am not a friend of him or I do not personally know him, so do not think I get anything for writing this. I just want to tell you all that if I see a book from him, it doesn't matter what it is about I know that I will enjoy it, his writing is superb. This is my honest opinion.
Blood of Vipers was a great read, I like the way the main character is torn between treating the germans he met like enemies or like human beings. It's a tough call for him, but you can feel his hesitation all the way trough.
Devil's deep was a great read too, so interesting and so different.
I bought the Red Rooster and The righteous too, so I will let you know too later when I will have read them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›