Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 176 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2010 11:58:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 12:46:25 PM PDT
Just FYI,

I was on Amazon earlier this morning (April 5th 2010) and there were more than a hundred 1-star reviews that were posted between March 29th and April 5th, 2010.

Now, this afternoon ALL of those reviews have been removed! As of the writing of this topic there is only one review for today (April 5th) and the next most recent review is from March 29th!

What happened to those reviews? Is Amazon starting to remove negative reviews?

I don't want to jump to conclusions because it appears that ALL reviews for that 7 day window have been removed (including the handful of positive reviews)!

Everybody please watch this situation closely!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 12:29:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:33:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 12:57:53 PM PDT
Update: Now the review from April 5th is gone too and the most recent review is from 03/29/2010. Hopefully, this is just a temporary backup issue and those reviews will be restored.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 1:47:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 1:54:38 PM PDT
Ok this is veeerrrrry disturbing. About an hour ago there were 2218 1-star reviews (not counting the 100+ reviews from the past 7 days that were purged).

I checked it again a few minutes ago and it was 2189 1-star reviews...

I checked again a few minutes later and it was down to 2146... Somebody is removing the 1-star reviews!

This may be a corporate whitewash in progress. Buyer Beware!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 2:31:53 PM PDT
Elo says:
Maybe it's just a space issue on their servers.
Or they finally thought enough is enough.
How many "one-stars" do consumers need to warn them off this product, as if the "theatrical editions" in the product title isn't enough?
Your "reviews" aren't working anyway - have you checked the high sales rankings for this set, which has been in the top 100 for 5 months? (Currently #3 in Blu-ray and #11 in Movies-TV.)
You people need to find a new hobby.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 2:59:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 3:27:19 PM PDT
I have no doubt that it will sell well. That was NEVER the point.

The point is that we don't want anybody to buy this version by mistake thinking that they were actually getting the Extended Edition scenes and bonus features when they are NOT included! Also, the technical website reviews all indicate that this transfer is far below "reference quality" so you may want to demo it before you buy if you already have the excellent EE DVD set.

And clearly New Line will release an extended edition blu-ray set at some later date to double-dip all those who buy this version! If you don't mind being manipulated then go ahead and buy this version.

And I am against censorship! Let the people's voices be heard! Why remove the 1-star reviews but not the 5-star reviews? Keep in mind that none of the 5-star reviewers to date (April 5th) own this product either given the fact that it will not be released until tomorrow (April 6th). This is wrong!

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 3:26:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 5:57:32 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
Very disturbing indeed. Amazon removed my 1 star LOTR-TE BR review too.
It was there for the last couple of weeks with a high helpful rating ratio and now its evaporated.
As far as i recall there were well over 2600 total LOTR-TE BR reviews last time i looked. Now there are 2271 (Apr. 5th)
Is Amazon covering up for the studios' ripoffs or is it even worse?
Amazon should change its customer review guidelines!!!
""Amazon wants your opinions to be heard
We want customers to get the information they need to make smart buying choices, and we'd love to have your help doing that. ... We encourage you to share your opinions, both favorable and unfavorable.""
(My review was written well before March 29th)
Edit: Abe -Deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 3:33:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2010 3:34:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 3:46:05 PM PDT
The real problem here is people are reviewing items that haven't even been released yet...come on people, wait till it's released first to write a review! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 5:15:20 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
@Michael - A product is NOT needed to be released to review it. A product is not a mere movie. As long as the specs of the product is declared, it is very well possible to review the "product" based on its released specs. The release of LOTR-TE BR will not change the aspects which all these people are reviewing. So stop parroting the same meaningless bs. Think before dropping it.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 5:19:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 5:21:06 PM PDT
I gave the product a bad review and all that stuff, but mentioning freedom of speech and constitutional issues is way off base - the first amendment only applies to government action. Private corporations can limit freedom of speech all they want (with a few - very few - exceptions).

(that doesn't mean they should, or that I agree with Amazon doing this (I don't))

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 5:25:14 PM PDT
My review was removed too by the way, and I've attempted to repost it.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 5:39:35 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
Of course private corporations can limit FoS, but Amazon claims it does not as long as the reviews are within the guidelines. Moreover Amazon as a corporation, claims to be, democratic and value customer opinion. Deleting 1 star reviews is against the being of its own rating system. I am pretty sure the total 1 stars are well over double what is shown to customers here.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 5:43:38 PM PDT
@ M

agree, but it's not a question of constitutional rights, it's a question of corporate policy

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 6:34:52 PM PDT
This is all about people being upset that they didn't release the extended versions...well if you were in New Line's shoes wouldn't you do the same thing to make money? These are smart business people, we are just the people helping to pay there big pay checks so we can watch Lord of Rings on bluray. I will still buy this and I won't write a review till I actually see the movies first...the way it should be!

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 6:50:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 6:51:59 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
@Michael - Why cant you be smarter than them and not swallow the bait? (LOTR-TE "BR" release has absolutely NO extra cost to the studio, the material is already in HD. They only have the discs printed at Mexico or China. Say, 20 cents)
You can review the movies at imdb dot com. Review the "product" here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 6:57:17 PM PDT
Elo says:
It says THEATRICAL EDITIONS right in the product title!
How much of a dunce does someone have to be to not notice that?
These thousands of one-star "reviews" are not warnings for unsuspecting buyers, and you know it. They are just the whining of spoiled babies.
Reviews are for the content of the product, and the only reason Amazon reviews are enabled for movies before release date (and NOT for music or books, other than the Vine Program where Amazon sends out review copies to select customers) is because most of them have been SEEN in theatres first. If the REVIEW section was intended for childishness such as this, they'd allow Pre-release reviews of music and books too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 7:01:43 PM PDT
Those reviews aren't good...check the reviews of Gladiator and King Arthur. They don't watch bluray's like there meant to be watched. I thought Gladiator and King Arthur looked awsome on bluray so i'm doing the math. Gladiator bad review, King Arthur bad review, and Lord of the Rings bad review...that means Lord of the Rings is going to look awsome. As for your argument on the price to make the disc's...all bluray's are cheap to make, everytime you buy one your being ripped off. How many bluray's have you bought...watch out, your taking the bait also!

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 7:08:04 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
Ok go buy it. And next year go buy the Extended Ed. In 2012 buy the Ultimate Ed. In 2013 buy the Final Cut Ed. its your money. Even most fish are clever enough not to swallow the same bait twice. Go spend your hard earned cash for some thing you have the chance to buy today, paying once. They can put everything on a single BR today. But because of silly fish like you who are eager to gulp down every thing they trow at you, the studios never put everything in one single box.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 7:37:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2010 7:38:20 PM PDT
M. Gurgun says:
" How many bluray's have you bought...watch out, your taking the bait also!"
Thats exactly what i am saying. We bought double triple dip DVDs all those years, just dont let the studios pull the same trick again. Demand the complete thing in BRs, because its technically possible now.

AND its still not an excuse for Amazon to remove the 1 star reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 11:47:04 PM PDT
Elo says:
I'm not swallowing any bait.
I WANT the Theatricals so I'm buying the set.
If and when other versions come out I will buy them if I want them.
Meanwhile I won't clog up the review section with cry-baby complaints that purport to be a public service for unsuspecting LOTR fans.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 1:58:22 AM PDT
goodridd says:
Good thing all your reviews are so helpful in determining if I should buy this product or not. I was concerned about the video and audio of the discs, and your reviews are filled to the teeth discussing those topics. I'm also a person who values good packaging and you were all so helpful in this area as well. I would have never been able to conclude that these were the Theatrical releases without all the help from you 1-star people...

Some of us don't want the EE's. The Theatricals are long enough for me, thanks! And no, I don't care about extras either.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 6:27:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:33:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2010 7:18:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2010 8:09:46 AM PDT
@Elo

Your statement: "I WANT the Theatricals so I'm buying the set.
If and when other versions come out I will buy them if I want them.
Meanwhile I won't clog up the review section with cry-baby complaints that purport to be a public service for unsuspecting LOTR fans."

My Response: Elo, nobody is saying that you cannot buy this version. Just know what you are buying... A non-remastered straight 1080P dump of the same video master used to create the theatrical dvd sets in 2002 with the same features included in that set (no new material whatsoever).

If you're okay with that then that's fine. This set will likely sell millions of copies. And we all know that New Line will definitely be releasing a pristine, reference quality remastered version of the theatrical editions at a later date so you can buy that one too! And then we all know that they will also be releasing the Extended Editions later so if you like those you can buy them too!

The choice is yours. But knowledge is power! For those (like me) whom ONLY want to purchase / own one definitive version of the LOTR Trilogy on Blu-ray then this is probably NOT the one to buy given that there will be at least 2 and possibly more future versions released-all of them superior in every measurable way to this set.

And you don't know me. Please don't claim that I have any other agenda other than pointing out the flaws in this LOTR release to unsuspecting fans so that they know what they are buying. I cannot speak for others, but I know for certain that my only priority in posting is to announce the truth about this very disappointing release. I love the LOTR movies and would rate them 5 stars. I think that most true LOTR fans would agree that a trilogy of this caliber deserves better Blu-ray treatment than this sub-par release offers.

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 9:20:09 AM PDT
A. Cossitt says:
If you want a review of the video and audio quality of the set, go to http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2313/lordringstrilogy.html. They knock the quality of the first disk and believe the video issues are due to the master.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  176
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Widescreen Edition)
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Widescreen Edition) by Viggo Mortensen (DVD - 2004)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (7,889)