Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
asked by Doug Bass on February 29, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 answers
A
Sebastian answered on August 3, 2011
Comments (3) | 19 of 19 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
One thing is the DVD region. Another thing is it's format.

The region doesn't determine the format.
For example, DVD's made in Australia and Latin America are region 4, but they differ in the format (PAL in Australia, NTSC in Latin America). In Argentina, both formats (PAL and NTSC) are used for region 4 DVD's.

So, a DVD/BRD player may be "region free", but american ones may not be able to play 50 Hz content (576i@50Hz or 1080i@50Hz)
Sebastian answered on August 3, 2011
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A US BR player can play region free PAL blu rays from uk/europe, but it cannot play PAL dvd's(non-HD) because standard definition is in NTSC for the US.
L. Cheng answered on February 15, 2011
Comments (3) | 6 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Jorge Diaz-Santiago answered on September 20, 2012
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My LG BD390 can play PAL discs. I don't know what the region encoding is, since it just says "PAL regions" (whatever that means). However, I did get it from the UK. So it must be a Region 1 PAL disc, which is weird. Looking around AVForums confirmed that the BD390 passed their compatibility test (though the picture is not as good as NTSC).

Digital Fred- just do a search on 'region free DVD (or Blu-ray) players'.
Bryan Verhanovitz answered on March 10, 2010
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Burketop, I'd like to know where you found that Samsung players play PAL? Because I have a
BDr-D25052 which play all types of DVD & BluRay but NOT PAL and a chat with Samsung support advised ALL their players SOLD IN THE USA are REGION A and will NOT play PAL. So far not much luck trying to unlock it and make it region free. Thanks for any guidance!
Jaime "The Maestro" answered on August 30, 2012
Comments (3) | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sebastian, thanks for the valuable info! Could you also tell where did you get this information from? I hope that source was not static and it gets ongoing updates about newer models ..
Yuri_CA answered on June 3, 2012

A
No, I did my research after reading your question, and it looks like Blu-Ray uses a "region coding" system similar to DVD players.

But if you're desperate to play PAL DVDs, Amazon's independent sellers have a lot of players that are region free, and you can get them for cheap. I got one for $50, and it's played any DVD I've thrown at it, regardless of region.
Peter answered on August 28, 2008
Comment | 4 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have an LG BD670 and a Toshiba BDX2250KU and both play region 0 PAL format dvds
allsmiles277 answered on December 12, 2012

A
Peter, can you share names / websites of these independent sellers of blu-ray disc players? I'd like a blu-ray disc player that plays PAL and NTSC blu-ray and DVD discs from all regions (if such players are available). Thank you.
james10s answered on February 26, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product