Blu-ray Reviews Mixed With DVD Reviews.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2010 9:16:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2010 9:18:53 AM PST
I was looking for Amazon reviews of "Gone with the Wind" (70th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] and encountered page after page of 6 to 8 year old reviews of the antiquated DVD version of this title. If there is any way to get Amazon to separate the Blu-ray reviews from the DVD reviews, I would like to know how to get them to do it.

Amazon's price of $37.99 makes the Blu-ray version of GWTW one of the greatest movie values of all time. This box set is truly a class act. There was no skimping on the quality of the 4 included discs or the quality of the enclosed bonus materials. The video quality of the Blu-ray GWTW is nothing short of extraordinary!

If I want to read all about how GWTW is not an accurate portrayal of the antebellum South, or that Scarlet O'hara was a selfish bitch or how the movie stinks because it was not released in a modern widescreen format, I will go back and read the old DVD reviews.

So, how do we get Amazon to separate the Blu-ray reviews from the DVD (and sometimes VHS) reviews? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 10:17:00 AM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
Yes what is wrong with amazon why are all the reveiws here when i display a blu-ray i only want to see the blu-ray reveiws amazon is run by jerks who dont know what they are doing this has been going on for years

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2010 9:50:50 AM PST
Posted on Feb. 10, 2010 10:17 AM PST, Robert J. Szvetics says: "Yes what is wrong with amazon why are all the reveiws here when i display a blu-ray i only want to see the blu-ray reveiws amazon is run by jerks who dont know what they are doing this has been going on for years."

While I can't go so far as to say that Amazon is run by jerks who don't know what they are doing, I will say that some of the Amazon movie reviews are totally asinine.

Many of the negative reviews for the Blu-ray version of Gone With the Wind are for the original, low-quality, dual-side, single layer DVD that had to be turned over half way through the movie. That particular DVD has been out of print for many years and all reviews for this DVD should be separated from the Collectors edition DVD set as well as the Blu-ray collectors set. There may be a few Amazon Marketplace sellers trying to unload this worthless GWTW DVD, so the negative reviews may help people avoid being ripped off.

Fortunately, there are a lot of other websites that provide meaningful Blu-ray reviews and I look to them for meaningful Blu-ray reviews.

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 10:15:22 AM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
Well thats what I think I can think of other words for them but amazon has guidelines. Why do i after see every reveiw ever posted for a title when i only want to see the blu-ray reveiws either the people at amzon are lazy or dumb i think both

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 12:17:25 PM PST
majeda says:
i've always objected to amazon's policy to. it makes no sense. i want to read a review about a particular release and not all of them. we should write to amazon and complain.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 1:11:35 PM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
i couldnt agee with you more i am sick and tired of this i did call amazon one year ago about this and they said they are working on it i dont think they work too hard.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 7:15:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2010 7:42:08 AM PST
This is a problem Amazon needs to fix. In the meantime, swtich to "Most-Recent Reviews" to find Blu-ray reviews. (I'm lucky, in that my Blu-ray review of "Gone With the Wind" is on the first page of "Most-Recommended".)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 7:26:09 AM PST
BOB SZVETICS says:
Yes i have been doing that for a long time.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 1:16:39 AM PDT
E. E. Smith says:
I have written to Amazon about this a number of times and all I ever get is a stupid canned preprepared response that is meaningless. I am truly getting to hate Amazon for this retarded policy of mixing 10 year old and older reviews of ordinary DVD's with newly released BluRay DVDs. I mean come on... talk about misrepresentation! Unless you happen to notice the year or decade in which the review was written you might think it's for the one you are thinking of buying. AMAZON, WILL YOU GET YOUR S*** TOGETHER AND FIX THIS HORRIBLE PROBLEM? I AND OTHERS ARE SICK OF IT AND FED UP WITH YOUR LAME EXCUSES. IT'S NOT A PROBLEM THAT IS HARD TO FIX. JUST PUT THE BLURAY REVIEWS WITH THE BLURAY DVDS AND THE REGULAR REVIEWS WITH THE REGULAR DVDS. SEE, NOW ISN'T THAT EASY??????

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 5:55:00 AM PDT
The same problems occurs "in reverse" with books. Different editions (particularly of public-domain works) will have their own set of reviews. Both problems are likely due to bad design decisions when these databases were created.

Some films have separate DVD and BD groupings, but there's been consistency in this. Creating separate groups for thousands of products would be difficult and expensive. But Amazon should at least make a policy of keeping future releases separate, and stick with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gone With the Wind [VHS]
Gone With the Wind [VHS] by Gable (VHS Tape - 1992)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (2,452)