Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best of Blu-ray, Volume Two (The Last Samurai / The Phantom of the Opera / Unforgiven / The Fugitive)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 23, 2008
A great collection of movies. I purchased this along with The Best of Blu-ray Disc, Volume One (Lethal Weapon / The Road Warrior / Swordfish / Training Day) [Blu-ray] as part of a sale in Dec.'07.

Here is some info that Amazon left out:

- All four movies are in 1080p.
- The Fugitive is the only @ 1.85:1 aspect ratio.
- The other 3 movies are 2.4:1.
- All feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound.

Each of the blu-ray discs include the original "blu" protective case, complete with insert. All four cases slide into a cardboard cover that resembles the product photo on this page. This is much better than some of the collections I have on DVD where each disc is in a flimsy paper sleeve. I included a few photos of the box/packaging.

Note: The individual cases are not factory shrink-wrapped but they do include the white plastic seal/tape that goes over the top. I imagine this is important to those who had plans on selling or gifting any movies they didn't like from the set. Not that you would do that. :)
review image review image
on September 14, 2011
Anyone looking for HD movies on Amazon knows that the prices are ridiculously low and four movies for less than what you might pay for one standard DVD is just plain cool. I don't do movie reviews, opinions on articles of art are just that and they are personal. I like all four movies, the reason I bought the set. I do think the HD format shows more brilliantly than the blu-ray format. I have both and my HD movies show better and sound better than my blu-rays. I have a Toshiba HD player, a Sony Blu-ray player and a Mitsu 73" 1080p HDTV all running through an Onkyo receiver with 7.2 surround --- sweet!

Incidentally, I just noticed that anyone reading my reviews will see that I have been giving a lot of high marks on my reviews. I guess that's because I only by stuff that I really, really want, and then only after I research and review the heck out of it. I filter out the junk before I buy.
on January 21, 2014
This box set is a fairly small collection of some decent movies and of course in blu-ray. However, the price leaves something to be desired. I was able to pick it up on sale for 9.99 and considering the age of the movies this is a far fairer price point. My recommendation would be to wait for a similar sale to pick up these movies on blu-ray.

Despite this the outer sleeve is sturdy unlike the larger box sets which often use flimsy material as size control. It'll hold up well in your collection.

The small number of movies reduces the chance of overlap (a problem for any blu-ray/DVD collector).
on January 15, 2011
This review in not for the movies which I consider them to be great. This review is for the product itself: I bought an used set in Amazon and the phantom of the Opera won't play in any of my HD DVD players HD-A20 HD-A30 and HD-D2. The Fugitive had pixel problems in all players and the same happened to the unforgiven. the only movie that was OK was The Last Samurai. Then I decided to buy a set that was new, thinking that the reason why the previous one, wouldn't play was because it was used and therefore somehow damaged. Well to my surprise the brand new one had exactly the same problem. therefore I don't recommend this set to any one. By the way all of the players have the latest 4.0 firmware update, so the players should not be the issue.
on June 25, 2013
None of these films are alike and I love it. My favourite movie of all time is The Fugitive so I was looking for a high def blu ray. I jumped at this because of the Phantom being included. The Last Samurai and Unforgiven are wonderful films with the latter a testament to the filmmaking excellence of Clint Eastwood. In terms of picture quality, The Fugitive is actually the worst looking film of the collection, but still loads better than DVD or VHS. This is an awesome collection of action, story, love, music, and life.
on April 4, 2011
I was expecting so bad for watching "The Phantom of the Opera" and "The Fugitive" in HD format; but, guess what..."TPOTO" stops in the middle of the action (tested in two different players) and "The Fugitive" doesn't even start at all...In the beginning I thought there was an issue with my Toshiba HD-A3 player; but I have also proved with a 1080p model from a friend and had the same result while I'm having a perfect playing from "The last Samurai" and "Urforgiven" at least...2 out of 4 ain't too bad for he price after all...BUT!!!!...I couldn't get what I REALLY wanted in order to cause a nice impression surprising my wife with one of her favorite movies: "The Fugitive"....Now I must try buying it on Blu-Ray...I UNDERSTAND WE'RE SAYING "SOOOOO LONG..." TO HD DVD MOVIES...!!!!!!!!
on April 19, 2011
Well was happy when I recieved it, played The Last Samurai, fine for 25 min then at a good part started breaking,(Bad weather sat reception),wait I was watching HD-DVD, well I have one of the best HD Toshiba Players updated, plays everything else fine from my collection. SO I thought may be it is dirty, took it out cleaned it, but same issue at the same place , you can not watch it. Oh well I thought lets try other one and to my surprise Unforgiven had the same issue, so next and the same issue, waste of money and time. They should not sell something like this which you can not watch it all.
on December 14, 2013
Won't play, not on a Toshiba, nor on a Samsung, or in an LG PC Blu-Ray and HD DVD reader. Since I bought several movies, and since I did not view several in time to squawk, I am stuck.
on January 6, 2008
Bought this title along with other on Amazon's spectacular BOGO. Movies itself are very good and to top it of there is excellent BR conversion. Looks awesome on PS3 + 1080p HDTV.
on January 10, 2013
This is a very good purchase and the price was even better. Very pleased to have purchased this item and I have no regrets. I would recommend this to anyone.