Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2008 12:43:07 AM PST
L. Feeley says:
Considering the picture quality, and reduction in disc quanities per set...
is anyone looking forward to the release of Buffy on blu-ray?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 12:24:41 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 9, 2010 3:15:31 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008 11:42:57 AM PDT
Dallas Guy says:
If BtVS wasn't shot in high definition, would Blu-Ray even make a difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 8:28:41 PM PDT
SatoSky says:
Buffy was shot on film, they can digitally scan (telecine) that film in HD. Would it make a difference? Maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2008 1:52:41 AM PDT
Julia T says:
I didn't know Buffy was shot on film, but if it was, then I would think that the Blu-ray version would have quite a bit more picture information than the standard definition one.

But I probably wouldn't buy the Blu-ray one since I already have this collector's set. It just doesn't make sense.

Can't say the same for the super hardcore fans though ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2008 9:22:14 PM PDT
M. Sanges says:
I wouldn't say I'm SUPER hardcore about "the Buff'", but if the picture quality was even marginally better, I'm pretty sure that *eventually* I'd re-pickup the series if it went Blu-ray.

Maybe it's just the age of my dvd sets, or even my dvd-player for that matter, but I've noticed that a lot of the dark scenes (like really dark scenes, where they're in the sewers, dark crypts, etc) look REALLY like crap lately. Granted, I might be just paranoid, but having this been the fifth or so run of watching the entire series through, I'm pretty sure I'm beginning to notice my dvds crapping out, and these are some of the oldest dvds I own--as well it could just be the case that I'm only NOW noticing how poor the picture/dvd performs in these scenes, too, I guess.... As I said, I may just be being paranoid here.

Either way, if there's a noticeably better Buffy, I'm in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 7:34:08 AM PST
M. Sanges, I just bought season 2 on the slim set the other day brand new (having to replace all my Buffy sets grrr) and the really dark scenes looked HORRIBLE on it. A huge series collection Blu-ray would make me happy if they really remastered the show to look better it does now on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 7:58:07 AM PST
M. Sanges says:
Thanks Rigel, I appreciate the input about the dark scenes; sucks that you're replacing everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008 12:57:04 AM PST
The benefit of having it not be on so many discs would be a plus alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 9:59:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2008 9:59:42 AM PST
CrimsonCape says:
M. Sanges, Your dvd player hasnt gotten any worse, and the disc hasn't changed. The problem is most likely you originally watched these on a smaller CRT television which typically had good black levels. Watching these on an LCD tv, or older DLP rear projection is hard because LCDs typically have horrible contrast ratios (not all do, but most). It gives the show a washed out look.

Buffy was shot on film, but were prepared (post-production) for standard def viewing so I guess it's going to be a lot of work to redo this. First two seasons shot on 16mm, and there will be improvement, just not as much as seasons 3-7 will be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 3:44:15 PM PST
SatoSky says:
Cherry coke guy is 100% correct. LCD tv's/computer monitors are really horrible for watching older shows.

If Fox ever releases Buffy on Blu-ray, don't expect too much. It will take a lot of time and money to properly re-master BtVS, and Fox probably doesn't think it's worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 4:01:20 PM PST
M. Sanges says:
For the record (this is in general,not just for SatoSky), the first person to reply to me, Rigel, answered my question perfectly... then suddenly everyone else started-in. It's great to have a real forum going, but my concerns have been handled.

My issue with noticing dark scene frame-rates crawling, and general pitch/saturation ickyness is from being viewed on the very same antique (8 years old now??) 32" CRT that it was originally seen on. So although yes, totally agree about the new HDs making film transfers look crappier than ever before, it doesn't really apply.

If they actually *did* go through all of the decision making of putting the series on BR, let's hope they hand the project off to a separate firm, maybe while they're painstakingly remastering they can also get just one good menu system up and running for the series as well, eh? How's that for wishful thinking. 9,9

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 12:11:52 PM PST
N. Kriss says:
I would definately buy the series on Blu-Ray if it were released without a moment's hesitation. The fact that Blu-Ray television series offer such nice additions like SeasonPlay and can store so much more information (the possibility of adding more commentary, more special features, additional things like scripts and art, etc.) and the picture quality is so great, combined with the scratch-proof surface (they say scratch-resistant but it's impossible to scratch them) and the great sound quality of 5.1 TrueHD or Master Audio HD which is what it would be released in. It would definately be worth it. Also new packaging to keep the discs from falling out like they do in my current sets and so many fewer discs...it would make sure that I can keep watching them forever. As it is now, on my 11th viewing of the series, my DVDs are pretty scratched up not even from mistreating them as I take great care of them, but from using them in DVD players that I've literally blown out watching Buffy/Angel/Firefly. All that has to happen is for the tray to get the slightest bit off tilt and then after playing 4 episodes when you take the disc out you'll see a dozen new tiny scratches on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 1:39:53 PM PST
M. Sanges says:
Well Fallen, the discussion has turned more towards the fact that it's a Fox owned (or is it just distributed by them? I don't know, whichever) television series and as such, they don't tend to really care how well or how much they can make a really great dvd package... they just tend to throw things together and ship it out the door, presumably for the proverbial "quick buck", so if this ever did go Blu-Ray... it'd probably just be the data from each individual dvd suddenly crammed onto fewer Blu-Rays but hey, we can hope that someone over there gets their head out of their butt at some point.
[Sorry for the giant run-on, just got out of work and don't have a lot of brain capacity left, oh well.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 11:58:43 AM PDT
John says:
Fewer disks, more additional features.

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 5:17:03 AM PDT
They don't seem too concerned with lowering the disk counts on a lot of sets that I've noticed. They can fit so much on a Blu-ray but the most they seem to do is have 5 episodes per disk instead of 4. You tend to end up with 1 less disk per season which isn't that huge of a difference, well over 7 years of Buffy and 5 of Angel that would be 12 less disks I guess. I just hope that if they ever do put it on Blu that they can make "Once More With Feeling" animorphic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2009 11:29:46 PM PST
L. Wolfe says:
Did you ever think that your picture quality is crapping out because, just like a VCR, you have to clean your DVD player every so often. When you notice your picture quality getting bad, drop in a DVD cleaning disk and you will be amazed how much better it will look.I bet the majority of the public that watch DVD,s have ever heard of a DVD cleaning disk. You can pick one up at any Radio Shack store, or I wouldn't doubt if Wal-Mart doesn't even sell them. very inexpensive,probably around $5.00 bucks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 5:01:46 AM PST
M. Sanges says:
Why yes, yes L. Wolfe, I actually did think to be a reasonably responsible individual and keep up with the general upkeep of precision piece of home electronics like a normal person, but thank you for the lecture in what and where dvd lens cleaners are. The picture quality is simply terrible in some scenes throughout the series, as another user agreed with me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010 12:49:37 PM PDT
C. Smith says:
Buffy was shot in higher than high definition. The first season or two was shot on 16mm film, which is still a lot higher than 1080p resolution. After that they were shot on Super 35mm film, which is what 99% of all films are shot on and are WAY WAY higher resolution than high definition.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 4:01:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 15, 2014 5:40:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010 3:00:54 AM PDT
The WIDESCREEN version of Buffy on Netflix is acheived by cropping the picture. You are missing part of every shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2010 3:38:06 PM PDT
bort says:
Wrong, Mr. Gallagher. My contact at Netflix (he works in the encoding dept.) insists that Fox supplied them with the full 16:9 masters for seasons 4-7 (also season 1 of Angel, which has never before been released in ANY region as 16:9). Do a side-by-side screen-shotcomparison as I did and the truth shall set you free. You will notice that seasons 1-3 (never mastered in any format other than 4:3) are 4:3 on Netflix. I agree with mao_soup: the 16:9 viewing experience improves BTVS immeasurably.

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 6:17:00 AM PDT
K. Copeland says:
According to Joss Whedon's personal message insert included when season 4 was first released, Buffy was never shot in widescreen, with the exception of a few eps

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 1:16:05 PM PDT
Ashlee says:
I would absolutely buy the blu-ray complete series if it were remastered and fixed up. I didn't buy this collection, but I do own all individual seasons of the show and they are really dark. It would be smart of Fox looking into it - Buffy is still a relevant show, it's a cult classic and has millions of fans - effort in cleaning up the quality a bit would not go unappreciated. If the quality was there, fewer disks were in the series, the same special features added, and new/never-before-seen bloopers, dailies, interviews were included, I think the majority of fans would buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if one is on the back burner at Fox for a 2017 release (20 year anniversary). That way they could also do "A Look Back" with the cast and crew. It's wishful thinking on my part, but that gives them 5 1/2 years to work with.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 1:11:48 PM PDT
Xander says:
Day one purchase of both Buffy and Angel if they did Blu Ray box sets. But as mentioned before, I imagine it might cost more then fox cares about to remaster most the series.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series - Seasons 1-7
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Series - Seasons 1-7 by Sarah Michelle Gellar (DVD - 2005)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (820)