Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Life [Blu-ray] forum

Life on Blu-ray and DVD narrated by either Oprah or Attenborough

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2010 11:41:38 AM PDT
The BBC's Life will be available on Blu-ray and DVD, and you can get the version narrated by Oprah or the one narrated by David Attenborough. Which one would you prefer?

Discuss here or in our blog:

http://www.armchaircommentary.com/2010/03/bbc-life-team-oprah-winfrey-david-attenborough.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 2:23:31 AM PDT
David Attenborough all the way!

Posted on Mar 20, 2010 9:23:07 AM PDT
G. Hopman says:
David Attenborough!!! why listen to Oprah when she knows nothing about wildlife or anything else for that matter

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 2:27:23 PM PDT
I agree, David Attenborough, I don't know why they spent the money making a version with Opra.

Posted on Mar 21, 2010 8:09:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2010 8:11:12 AM PDT
Man, what's with all the hoopla? They're releasing two versions so folks can pick whom they want for the narrator. Why all the whining and yapping about poor Oprah? And why would you need a natural sciences degree to NARRATE for God's sake? They use a script, you know, and I doubt the narrator has much/anything to do with the script. They don't just set the narrator in a booth, play the show, and say, "Okay, have at it!"

I will certainly not be purchasing the Oprah version, but it makes no sense to sit and yammer non-stop about how terrible Oprah is when two versions are available with the narrator of each clearly marked on front.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 11:53:42 AM PDT
Quote from the original post:

"The BBC's Life will be available on Blu-ray and DVD, and you can get the version narrated by Oprah or the one narrated by David Attenborough. Which one would you prefer?"

Quote from Jesse's post:

"Man, what's with all the hoopla? They're releasing two versions so folks can pick whom they want for the narrator."

Thanks for stating the obvious, it was just a question. Lighten up, Jesse.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 3:31:23 PM PDT
K. Rouz says:
I don't understand what's up with all the hate either. It's fine to prefer one over the other but why are there so many 1 star reviews already from people who haven't even watched the US version? I never understood why people choose to review products on Amazon they don't have any experience with, doesn't help anybody.

Posted on Mar 21, 2010 9:25:52 PM PDT
So, why can't they just sell one set with 2 audio tracks... pick whichever one you want!
(They could have done this with Planet Earth, too.)

Posted on Mar 22, 2010 9:21:33 AM PDT
Albert A. Martin: Great question, but it wouldn't have worked for Planet Earth because the episodes on the Discovery Channel version were slightly shorter than on the BBC version. Don't know yet if there's any difference with Life.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 8:08:16 AM PDT
Wolverine says:
Attenborough will be my choice when it comes out. I don't want to hear Oprah any more than I have to, lol.

Posted on Mar 25, 2010 12:40:56 PM PDT
Leo El Dude says:
Hey Jesse maybe it's because the original script was WRITTEN by David Attenborough, we are not whining and yapping because the US "narration" was by some illiterate, it's because they change someone that knows what he's talking about with someone that read it to you like if you were stupid, which tell us that she knows who's buying her version. It's great that we can buy the BBC version, but it's a shame that they decided to air the OW version. Now we NTSC folks have to wait until June.

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 10:47:53 PM PDT
J. Evans says:
Before everyone hauls off and buys the UK version it would be helpful to know if it will even play in U.S. DVD and Blu-Ray players. Many times discs are region specific and won't even work. I hope the Attenborough version will work here in the U.S.

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 8:51:43 AM PDT
M. Evans says:
Is the US and BBC video versions the same? Or is the narration text the same, and only the narrator is different? I hope that the narration text is better on the BBC version with David Attenborough. Does anyone know?

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 9:52:19 AM PDT
J. Evans says:
"Before everyone hauls off and buys the UK version it would be helpful to know if it will even play in U.S. DVD and Blu-Ray players. Many times discs are region specific and won't even work. I hope the Attenborough version will work here in the U.S."

This seems to be a common question so we'll address it here: The Attenborough-narrated version that you can buy at Amazon.com and is coming out on June 1 is a U.S. release with the U.K. narration. It is *not* a U.K. DVD release and it will play in U.S. players.

Life
Life (David Attenborough-Narrated Version) [Blu-ray]

If you go to *Amazon.co.uk* and buy Life and try to play it in a U.S. player, then you very well might have problems.

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 11:00:01 PM PDT
catlady4ever says:
Quick Possible "DUH" question: your posts have explained the differences in the narration (thank you), but I just would like to double check to see if the David Attenborough version has the same stunning visual content... in other words, is the stunning photography/visual portion of the Oprah version exactly the same as David's version - only the words have been changed?

Thanks for your help, CL4E

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 12:11:35 PM PDT
Yes, they have the same footage, but since the Oprah version was on television, they have been edited. In fact in an interview the executive producer for the Discovery Channel version stated that they rearranged the order of many sequences to play better to an "American" audience.

Only the Attenborough/BBC version has ALL the footage from the series.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Life [Blu-ray] forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life
Life by Oprah Winfrey (DVD - 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars (983)