Blu-ray or DVD Edition...Decisions, Decisions??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2008 7:02:29 AM PDT
G. Fein says:
My issue - One Blu-ray player and multiple DVD players and a 3 year old who loves Beauty. I was leaning towards getting the SD DVD format so that we could play the movie anywhere, in the car, at Grandma's etc, and also thinking that my daughter likely doesn't appreciate the difference between SD and Blu-ray.

However I was reviewing Amazon's Product Details for the Blu-ray package and it indicates 3 discs are included and the title refers to "plus a bonus DVD of the movie".

Does anyone think that the Blu-ray package includes both versions?

I'm new to the whole Blu-ray scene so any thoughts are appreciated

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 4:32:57 PM PDT
KuauKord says:
yes, the bluray includes both versiones (hi-def and SD) =) so buy bluray and you'll be happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 7:15:22 PM PDT
NiKing says:
As already confirmed for you and, as reported in the review written in my Audio/Video Mag', "With one, you get TWO".
Happy Viewing.
Nick. N.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 11:03:10 AM PDT
Bill Hom says:
I believe this is the first blu-ray release I've seen include a regular dvd of the movie as well. That's a great value at the price charged by amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 11:56:52 AM PDT
IMO, ALWAYS go with the blu ray. I've been done with regular DVD for 2 years now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 1:25:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2008 1:26:43 PM PDT
Humbi says:
The Blu-ray package I bought yesterday includes the standard DVD version of the newly restored film. You can have both versions then. Please note the blu-ray version only has the English soundtrack and only English subtitles for the deaf.What a shame that only the standard DVD version has Spanish and French audio tracks as well as Spanish and French subtitles. I am sure this was not because of lack of disc space. Was this done on purpose, and why?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 2:19:00 PM PDT
If you have kids that will watch the movie definetly get the Blu-ray version. Being scratch proof is a huge plus for Blu-ray movies. Especially movies like this that won't be easily replaceable in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 6:27:21 AM PDT
takemehome says:
The Blu-Ray package includes the first disc of the Platinum Edition DVD, but not disc 2. I think it's something of a genius idea because you can loan/give the bonus DVD to someone, or use it in a room/vehicle/other home that only has a DVD player.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 8:32:19 PM PDT
jml says:
Note, though, that the DVD disc is simply attached in a paper sleeve which is fixed to the Blu-ray case with sticky goo. This is a nice idea but not good packaging exicution; in addition to the Blu-ray case being left with residue on it, the DVD is not protected as securely and it is a chore to have to keep it seperate from the Blu version. It would have been much better if they included a swinging tray in the Blu packaging and had the DVD included as a third disc directly in the packaging. I hope they package the DVD properly when including this on future Platinum Blu-rays (Pinocchio is already confirmed to have it, and it would not surprise me at all if this becomes standard operating proceedure for Platinums until/if DVDs are rendered obsolete, which I doubt will happen anytime soon, if at all.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:45:35 PM PDT
I think the DVD is included in a separate paper sleeve so that, if the person only wants the Blu-Ray and has no need/want for the DVD, they can give it to someone else. It would be hard to do if the DVD was included in the Blu-Ray packaging. I know I plan on giving one of my cousins (both little girls, one five, the other one) the DVD version (I think the five year old will appreciate it better).

To G. Fein: Definitly get the Blu-Ray. Has both Blu and DVD, so you or your 3 year old can watch it wherever without sacrificing the Hi-Def picture from the Blu-Ray.

I'm glad they're doing this, allowing people to get the best of both worlds. It can continue as far as I care.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 7:53:38 AM PST
Yes, so that you will spend more buying a future blu-ray version that will have the Spanish and French audio tracks. It's called "Double Dipping" and has been done in the DVD industry for a long time!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2008 1:58:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2008 2:02:28 PM PST
K. Patterson says:
R Jackson: What on earth would lead you to believe that Blu-Ray disks are "scratch-proof", especially where kids are concerned?

I agree this is the version to get, since it includes both formats, but (a) kids can scratch *anything* and (b) a glance at the back of any Blu-Ray rented from Blockbuster should be proof positive that Blu-Ray disks are not immune to scratching.

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 12:03:34 PM PST
They are not immune to scratches, but the scratches does not affect play.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sleeping Beauty [VHS]
Sleeping Beauty [VHS] (VHS Tape - 1989)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (3)