5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PS3 Upgrade
Just to let Amazon users know, I purchased one of these hard drives with the intention on upgrading my fat 40GB model PS3's hard drive. The hard drive fit into the PS3's bracket and hard drive bay perfectly and works like a charm. If anybody wants to upgrade those tiny PS3 hard drives, the Scorpio Blue 320GB HDD works great.
Published on February 3, 2012 by Josh F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT purchase for use in a Playstation 3
Published 18 months ago by Frank J. Corona Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PS3 Upgrade, February 3, 2012
This review is from: WD Blue 320 GB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD3200BPVT (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be easier, December 27, 2011
Taranome (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This hard drive was a replacement for the internal drive in a Dell 1525 laptop. The old drive was damaged and not functional. Installation was very simple: remove two screws, slide out old drive, remove the fascia screws and switch it onto the new drive. After sliding in the new drive and replacing the two screws, boot up from the CD using the Dell re-installation disk. The BIOS found the new hard drive without any intervention, and Windows Vista installed without a hitch. Dell's driver disk had all the needed drivers which were also simple to install. Everything works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great to replace my sons corrupt HDD on his PS3!, November 22, 2012
My son got the corrupt message on his PS3 so after doing a little research, went with the WD Blue. Installation was easy and it works flawlessly. Super quiet while running and the plus is the PS3 went from a 120gb to a 320gb memory for a tiny amount considering what Sony would charge to fix the console or upgrade it. I would recommend this HDD to anyone wanting to fix their PS3 or expand memory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT purchase for use in a Playstation 3, March 3, 2013
Contrary to other review here that indicate that this is a "great" replacement for the PS3 I will tell you why it is not. The PS3 being a system initially from 2006 is NOT capable of using a drive with native 4k clusters as this drive apparently is. This is guised behind the term "advanced format" drive. This drive emulates compatibility for the older 512b cluster standard but it does it terribly slowly while in the PS3.

Does it work? Yes. It allows you to install games and applications on it.

Does it work well? Not at all. I first noticed the horrible lag and stuttering in Ninja Gaiden Sigma and then again in MGS4 and Wipeout HD. I'd imagine any game that is going to make frequent reads from the hard drive is going to be noticeably slow and sluggish.

I feel dumb knowing that I stopped my research on replacement drives for the PS3 with the reviews on Amazon. Had I searched a little more I would have found that 4k cluster drives became mainstream in 2011 and finding a legacy 512b drive is a little tougher. I would have also found that the Ps3 doesn't play well with Western Digital 4k drives.

In the mean time I've ordered a WD 320GB Black series 7200rpm drive that is not stricken with the "advanced format" branding of the one I am reviewing here.

5.0 out of 5 stars I upgrade my fat PS3 from 60gb to 320gb - it worked, July 26, 2012
Today I put this 320gb drive into my ps3 and it worked w/o a problem. I'll update my review in the future shall something happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for PS3 HD upgrade, May 25, 2012
Ryan Lee (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
I bought this to upgrade my old PS3 (I have the old "fat" 60GB PS3). The whole installation takes maybe 5 minutes. A word to the wise - if you are using this to upgrade your PS3, make sure you have some needle nose pliers or a Gerber handy to get the screws off the hard drive casing. Regular screwdrivers won't do it. After you format the hard drive to work with the PS3, this HD works like a charm. Reasonable price, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement and upgrade, January 20, 2011
viiowe996 (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
When the Samsung drive in my laptop started making the occasional death throes of the motor going out, I put this little guy on order. You can go bigger these days, but in my case this was a replacement issue... the upgrade was just from shopping for the best bang for the buck at the time (which with hard drives changes, so don't quote me on this tomorrow). In general Western Digital has been an excellent and reliable manufacturer of hard drives and after years of being a nerd both at home and professionally, it's the brand I trust. They have great diagnostic tools available for download to verify your drive's integrity upfront and clone your current drive if it's an upgrade or total backup situation. Every manufacturer of hard drives has their duds, that's life when dealing with high tech. As with any upgrade, back up your data first and regularly. If there are any problems WD has easy to use diagnostic tools that can sometimes fix minor issues and spit out RMA codes you can send to WD for replacement for major ones. The nice part is, with WD, the odds are low you'll ever have to worry about it. Drives have motors and sensitive material in them... they vary in wear and tear just like any other high tech devices of the same caliber. But for longevity I've had the best luck with WD. And their prices ain't bad either. I might sound biased, but after over a decade in the business, and drives of my own of various manufacturers dating back to the 80s... some which still work, I think I've earned my stripes to say so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, April 16, 2012
Replacement drive for my Dell Laptop.
Easily installed
works smoothly.
No problems, with this unit.
Good price range on portable hard drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on a quality HDD., June 2, 2013
Life Saver... Ok, no lives were in danger however this was the fix action for our late 2009 Macbook pro. Just stopped working and would not recognize the hard drive. Great value, at less than $50 with free shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for xbox360 slim, October 13, 2011
Just had to format for use using my PC first. Hit up a search engine to find out how to do that. It works like a champ!

Rate and Discover Movies