Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

Blue Buffalo BLUE Adult Dog Lamb & Brown Rice 30 lb
Flavor Name: 30 lbSize: Lamb and Brown RiceChange
Price:$48.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 17, 2010
Good stuff, dogs love it. Made a big difference when I switched from another brand. My dogs seem healthier, and have lost excess weight which they gained while on the other food. Their bowel movements are more normal now, and they no longer have problems with their anal glands getting full/hard and needing to be emptied like they did with the other food.

I was surprised to find negative reviews for this food. I understand the one review about the dogs not being interested in the food, but please, people of amazon, don't write negative reviews for products because your local store sold you an expired bag. 1) that has nothing to do with amazon, and 2) that really has nothing to do with the product quality -- the manufacturer didn't sell it to you that way, it was probably just on the shelf for too long. It's misleading to people looking for products when something has 2 stars because someone got an expired bag from A DIFFERENT STORE.

My dogs love this food, and I don't think I'll ever switch. Their health is important to me, and this food seems to deliver on that.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2011
Note: Blue Buffalo no longer makes "Weight Control" dog food and instead makes "Healthy Weight" dog food in the "Life Protection line. Healthy Weight has 415 calories per cup and 3.290 calories/gram. Compared to the Longevity line for adult dogs, Healthy Weight has more calories per cup but a fewer calories per gram, meaning that Healthy Weight has more grams per cup than Longevity. Looking at the order of ingredients (which is by pre-production ingredient weight), I am concerned that too much of Healthy Weight's protein may come from whole grains, which do not contain all of the amino acids that a dog must get from his or her food (dogs cannot synthesize all the amino acids they need from plants and grains the way humans can.) De-boned chicken is the first ingredient, but, because it contains 75% water before processing, it is not the heaviest final ingredient. Chicken meal is a high quality protein, but it is listed as the fifth ingredient.

Also: At the bottom of this review I name a brand of food that ultimately helped me meet my dog's goals.

Overview of Weight Control: While I did not do all I could to make Weight Control work for my dog, it ultimately did not help my dog reach his ideal weight. Blue Weight Control is nutrient rich, very low in fat, and uses high-quality protein sources. Unfortunately, Blue Weight Control has 444 calories per cup, which is pretty calorie-dense. I believe it was over 4 calories per gram, which, in human food, is the caloric density of cheddar cheese. My dog may have been able to eat a satisfying quantity of this food if he only needed to maintain a healthy weight, but he needed to lose weight, and the portions I had to feed him were too small. Fortunately, Blue Buffalo makes an excellent food called Blue Buffalo Longevity Dry Food for Adult Dogs, 24-Pound Bag, and the adult food has a more reasonable 354 calories per cup, allowing my dog to eat a more satisfying quantity of food per day.

Details: My dog weighed 50 lbs. and needed to get to the maximum ideal weight for his breed --44 lbs.-- as determined by my vet and the American Kennel Club. According to several dog nutritionists, the calories a dog should consume per day to lose weight is computed as follows: 1)Convert his goal weight in pounds to kilograms by dividing the pounds by 2.2. For my dog 44 lbs over 2.2= 20. 2 Multiply her weight in KG by 30. For my dog 20*30 is 600. (3)Add 70. In my dog's case, that meant 670 calories per day. This number represents the dog's caloric needs while on a weight loss diet, assuming the dog has no special needs, such as pregnant or whelping, being a puppy, being a toy breed, working, or living outdoors in cold weather. The formula only is valid if the dog weighs between 5 and 99 pounds. Check with your vet to make sure the daily calories you compute are in the right neighborhood.

The reason Blue Weight Control was not the best Blue Buffalo food for my dog was because it is is relatively calorie dense-- 444 calories per cup. To feed him 670 total calories per day, I could only feed him 1.5 cups per day, meaning that each of his two meals could only be 3/4 cups, and that was without even a tiny buffer for a single green bean as a treat. (Later I explain why I had to add-in other foods. I ended up only feeding him 2/3 of a cup for each meal, and that really worried me about the adequacy of his nutrition. This quantity of food is well below the feeding guidelines on the bag. My dog was miserable and begged constantly. He would even lick his empty bowl between meals. I tried feeding him a 1/3 cup (10 calories) of plain no-added-salt canned green beans as a snack, just to help fill his stomach, but he was not content and eventually turned his nose up at the green bean snacks. I should have added warm water to his dog food and stirred in the green beans, but I wasn't smart enough to do so at the time. My dog kept acting hungry and begging for more dog food. He would actually walk over to the bag of dog food, put his paw on it, and look at me while whining softly! Other members of my household would sneak table food to him because he begged so persistently, and the "diet" was a abysmal failure. My poor dog ended up actually gaining 4 more pounds from all the human cheating!

I was glad I found Blue Longevity adult food. It has 354 calories per cup as opposed to 444. It has 3.384 calories/gram. I gave my dog 1.8 cups per day (in 2 meals) for 640 calories. A saleswomen at Petsmart explained that I could help increase my dog's feeling of fullness even more by adding warm water to to his food, enough to just cover the kibble, and letting it sit on the counter a minute so that the kibble would swell up. I should then stir in 10 calories (a little less than 1/4 cup) of no-added-salt green beans to make it an even more filling meal. I did all of these changes together, so I can't separate the effects. My dog stopped the whining and began to lose the weight.

I budgeted him only 10 calories per day for treats. The problem was, I had to find something to give as a treat at least 3 times per day. See, my dog lived in a no-kill shelter for 18 month, so I had to use treats to re-housebreak him. Now he refuses to do #2 unless he is guaranteed a treat (if he doesn't get one immediately after he goes, he lies down on the ground and makes us carry him home--even if we are two blocks from the house and it is dark and pooring down rain. Welcome to my world of loving an Australian Cattle Dog.) I was surprised to learn that small sized Milk Bones have 20 calories each and contributed to him getting overweight to begin with. Even breaking one in half wasn't enough to make his treat calories reasonable. I found a bite-sized treat that is only 1-2 calories called Premier Liver Biscoti Dog Treats, Original Recipe, Original Bite Size, 8oz. Bag). They were fine as a substitute for Milk Bones. I recently found a 2-calorie treat that my dog is crazy about called Zuke's Mini Naturals Salmon Dog Treats (not to be confused with the 10-calorie each Zuke's Mini Bakes Chicken N Cherryz, 16 oz. My dog would probably walk through fire for the Salmon flavored ones, but he also likes the peanut butter flavored ones.

Update: I eventually found a web site called DogFoodAdvisor.com. Through it, I found another food called Premium Edge Healthy Weight I Weight Reduction Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, 35-Pound that has the same calories per cup as Longevity but that has twice as much protein (also from high quality sources!) It is also grain-free (dogs don't need grains in their diet at all) and a little less expensive per pound. It helped my dog build muscle and lose weight.
review image review image
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2010
I have been feeding Blue Buffalo foods to my Golden Retriever, who is almost 3 years old, since I brought him home as a 7 week old puppy. As a veterinary technician, I am aware of many common health problems in the breed, allergies being one of them. Knowing that corn and other fillers can be the cause of allergies, I wanted a food that only used the best ingredients. I looked into many different brands that were reported to use quality ingredients. Blue Buffalo, it turned out, was the only such brand that was readily available in my area.

The breeder had been feeding Eukanuba Puppy food, so I started "Bruce" on a mixture of the Eukanuba Puppy and the Blue Buffalo Puppy. He would actually pick out the Eukanuba and only eat the B.B. kibbles (one of my coworkers reports that her Dachshund puppy did the same when she switched him to B.B.). So, I ultimately gave up on trying to mix the foods and just fed straight B.B. He would, sometimes, pick out those "Lifesource Bits" and leave them scattered all over the floor but is now a voracious eater and is not picky at all.

As he is now an adult, I have been feeding him a variety of the B.B. flavors. I started him with the B.B. Large Breed formula, then switched to the Fish and Sweet Potato, then the Lamb and so on. I am hoping that by rotating the formulas, I will be able to prevent or, at least, cut down on any food allergies and provide him with a healthy variety of nutrients. Since he quickly scarfs down any food I put down for him, I can't see that he has any preference to flavor. He loves them all.

I can report that, to date, "Bruce" has been an extremely healthy dog. His coat is thick and shiny, his eyes are clear, and he is a very solid 95 Lbs. Everyone that sees him oohs and aahs over how handsome he is. I know a lot of that is genetics but I'm sure Blue Buffalo had a little something to do with it, as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 10, 2011
We have 6 dogs, all sizes, varieties & ages. The oldest is 12 years old and the last several years, she has developed a spring/summer skin condition that causes her to itch and scratch and lose her fur. She would lay on the floor next to us and chew and scratch to try to get some relief. Her skin would get an oozing rash and she was miserable. We tried different shampoos, lotions, steroid shots - anything to give her some relief.
My wife suggested she might have an allergy to the carbohydrates/gluten in her food that got worse in the south Texas heat. We ordered a bag of the Blue Buffalo dry dog food and after the first feeding, she laid down next to us and did not scratch one time all evening. Her fur has grown back and she no longer has the patches of nasty, smelly rash on her. She now has energy to run up the stairs, run around in the yard and acts like she did as a puppy. The change in less than a week is amazing!
We have ordered more Blue Buffalo for all 6 of our dogs and our cat. Their coats are shinier and their eyes sparkle more. Thank you for making our pets healthier and happier.
on January 24, 2011
Since we started using Blue Buffalo for our 2 dogs, the change has simply been amazing. They've trimmed down (lost some excess weight), coats are sleek and shiny, and they have much more energy. And it has NO CORN! Both our dogs are rescue animals. One has had a problem with odor - she simply STINKS. Blue Buffalo dramatically improved her odor, too! We love Blue Buffalo and will continue to feed it. Too bad it's so expensive - but to me, it's well worth the extra cost to get the benefits for our animals.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2010
I've been giving this brand of dog food to my small dogs (10-12 pounds each), since the tainted dog food incident a few years ago (it takes them probably 6-8 months to go through 30 pounds).

When I got a new puppy (doberman), I thought this would be a little expensive, since he eats a LOT. I looked through PetCo at just about all the different dog foods around this same price (I didn't really look at the ones that were more, since I'm pretty happy with the food). I found that this was the ONLY dog food in this price range that had the first TWO ingredients being meat (or meat by product). In fact, many of the dog foods (the kinds that you find in the grocery store) actually had the FIRST ingredient being filler. In case you don't know, the largest quantity ingredient is listed 1st and so on down to the smallest.

He did have diahrea for the first couple of days, but that is because I did not transition him to this food. Sadly, he had moved from one house to another house to our house within 36 hours, and I did not get information from the original owner about what he had been eating. I mention this mostly to refute the other lower rating - most dogs need to transition in foods or they will get diahrea. So typically, one should mix the old dog food with the new one, in decreasing increments over about two weeks, until the dog is eating 100% of the new food.
on July 20, 2015
We have been buying this particular version for 8 months now at retail locations but this is first time we purchased it from Amazon. This is not the same food as purchased in the store. The size of the food is different and my dog got a bad case of diarrhea from it. I drove to a retail store and purchased another bag which had the correct food. Check out the pics. Smaller pieces are purchased at a local retail, the larger pieces came from Amazon. Same UPC but the type of bag is different.
review image review image review image review image review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My two goldens approve of this product. Blue Buffalo uses top of the line ingredients, human food grade-- there's a chicken version and a fish version. No yucky meat "by-products", meat and meat meals are the top ingredients, no indigestible corn or wheat, a wide variety of wholesome and varied vegetable ingredients and several probiotics to promote healthy digestion and absorption of nutrients. On top of that, this is a very palatable food.

Blue Buffalo also uses a unique process to manufacture "lifebits" which are added to the basic "kibble" food. These smaller, darker pieces are cold formed in order to better maintain nutrients. I don't believe any other company incorporates this kind of element into dog food.

I respect what they are doing, and I've changed to Blue Buffalo food for my cat, too.

Here's the nutritional information:
-One cup contains 462.8 calories
-NO animal by-products
-NO artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
-NO corn, wheat, or soy AND gluten-free (great to know after last years' pet food scandals and deaths with other brands, in which added glutens were contaminated with melamine)
-Crude protein 25% minimum
-Crude fat 14% minimum
-Omega 3 fatty acids 0.25% min
-Omega 6 fatty acides 3.5% min
-Glucosamine 400 mg/kg max
-Major ngredients, in order:
Deboned chicken, chicken meal, whole ground brown rice (very digestible grain source vs. the usual corn), whole ground barley, oatmeal, rye, whole potatoes, tomato pomace (natural source of lycopene), chicken fat (preserved wtih natural mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, whole carrots, whole sweet potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, flaxseed, barley grass, dried parsley, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, taurine, l-carnitine, l-lysine, glucosamine hydrochloride, yucca schidigera extract, green tea extract, turmeric, garllic, sunflower oil (natural source of Omega 6 fatty acids), oil of rosemary, the whole bunch of expected vitamins and minerals, and several probiotics (lactobacillus acidolphilus, bacillus subtilis, bifidobacgterium longum, enterococcus faecium).

I hope this helps you evaluate whether or not this food would be a good match for your best pal.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 11, 2011
I don't usually review items, but I am highly impressed with this dog food. After much research, I decided to go with Blue Buffalo based on very favorable reviews of the ingredient list. What I wasn't prepared for was my puppy's response to this food. We recently adopted a Treeing Walker Coonhound mix from a rescue organization and kept her on Science Diet for two weeks until she got settled in our home and I was able to figure out what we wanted to feed her. I thought she was a very light and grazing eater because she would not finish her food at feeding time. Rather, she would come back throughout the day and take a few bites at a time. When we took her out, she would constantly eat grass. That is, until we started the switch to this food. As soon as the bag was delivered from Amazon, she smelled it and kept following me smelling it as I tried to put the food it away -- good sign #1. Even at the initial 75% old 25% new food mix, she ate her full feeding at one sitting for the first time -- good sign #2.

She is now fully transitioned to the new food, and eats her full meals in one sitting. The grass eating has stopped and she was able to transition to this food without any loose stools or other issues -- good signs #3 and 4. Needless to say, she absolutely loves the Blue Buffalo food and having hear eat her food in one sitting has greatly simplified my life as her bowel movements are now regular, greatly helping in the whole housebreaking process. I haven't noticed much of a difference in her coat, but she's only been on the new food for a little over a week. Based on my positive exeprience with this food, I intend to switch her to the adult version of Blue Buffalo once she gets past the puppy stage.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 20, 2014
Word of caution. My dog has been on BB food for 5 years. I've used all types, chicken, lamb, fish. I had recently switched to fish and potato as she had developed a skin allergy to chicken. The fish mix straightened her out. She was on it for three months, until a few days ago, when she had an OD reaction to the vitamin supliment in the food. How do I know? Simple. BB consists of two types of kibble, the triangular meat and vegetable portion and a dark round supplemental nugget portion. The ratio of one to the other is usually something like 95% to 5% meat kibble to supplemental nugget. This bag consisted of more than 60% supplemental nugget. I should have known better but I trusted BB to not let a bad mix out of the factory. My dog had a toxic reaction - heavy salivating, drooling, discomfort - a few hours after dinner. I returned the bag of fish and potato and picked up a bag of BB lamb and rice. Before walking out of the store I opened the bag and checked the ratio. Looked normal. fed it to dog. No problems. So, bottom line, check the ration of the kibble in the bag before feeding to your dog, and don't trust Blue Buffalo to own up to the problem and initiate a recall.