Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-Pound
Blue Buffalo Spa Select is great! Top of the line ingredients, human food grade-- there's a chicken version and a fish version. I'm really careful to keep on top of the literature about pet foods, and so I'm confident that this food meets a high standard. No yucky meat "by-products", meat and meat meals are the top ingredients, in addition to a host of wholesome and varied ingredients and probiotics.

On top of that, this is an incredibly palatable food. My cat LOVES it. In fact, she scarfs it right down, when she typically has just grazed on a piece or two at a time of other premium foods. I have to be careful to use a measuring cup and not overfeed her, 'cause she will seek me out and meow for more!

Blue Buffalo uses a unique process to manufacture "lifebits" which are added to the food. These smaller, darker pieces are cold formed in order to maintain nutrients. I don't believe any other company incorporates this kind of element into cat or dog food.

I came across this cat food at the local Tractor supply (I was there to buy chicken feed!). I'd never heard or read about Blue Buffalo, but I respect what they are doing, and I've changed to Blue Buffalo dog food for my golden retrievers, too.
on April 23, 2013
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-PoundVerified Purchase
To all the reviewers who complain that your cat "doesn't like the food": you CANNOT take an animal's usual food away and replace it with something brand new and expect them to say, "Okay, I'll just eat this now as if nothing's different." Ask any vet and he/she will tell you the same. Drastically changing an animal's diet, whether they're picky or not, can cause stress, anxiety, diarrhea and a load of other issues that can be easily avoided with some time and effort. The diarrhea issue is more commonplace with dogs, while cats are usually savvy enough to say, "this is unfamiliar so I'm not going to eat it"--this is probably the reason why your cat isn't bothering with this food.

I ordered this food for the first time in November 2012. When it arrived, I separated it into three ziplock bags. I poured one of these bags into her original food, Purina indoor formula, and mixed it all together. I fed her this mixture for about two weeks, then added the second bag into the mixture. Another two weeks, I added half of the final bag into the mixture. By this point, there were hardly any Purina kibbles left. After another two weeks, she was eating pure, unadulterated Blue Buffalo and she loved it.

I have now been feeding my cat this food for about 5 months. The food itself actually has hints of a fish smell, not generic "pet food smell". My cat's energy level has tripled--she demands playtime every night now. Her coat is longer, shinier and softer. She is an all-around happier cat.

A lot of people have complained about the cost of Blue Buffalo. I have a petite cat (8-9 pounds full-grown) and she is fed 1/3 of a cup of this a day, supplemented with wet food. I have figured that one of these bags of food lasts us about 3 months. You do the math--it may seem like a lot more than the crap you've been feeding your pet up until this point, but on a yearly scale vs. the benefits, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

I have recently started switching her over to the Blue Buffalo wet food as well, from Friskies. Again, same principle applies--you must ease your cat into any kind of new food. Yes, it takes a little more time and effort than most people would like, but if you're not willing to do it this way, maybe you shouldn't have a pet in the first place.
on April 12, 2011
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-PoundVerified Purchase
Love this cat food! It has reduced the smell of my male cat's poop. Now I can hardly tell when he's gone in his cat box. Also, after several months of use of this cat food, his coat is very shiny and healthy. He likes this food and never complains about wanting something else.
Flavor Name: chickenSize Name: 3-PoundVerified Purchase
We had first heard of Blue Buffalo on the internet. We don't have any place where we live
that carries this food. So, I ordered one online (a little different from this one).
The cats loved it.

I wasn't sure how much they'd love it or tolerate it, so I filled their treat ball with this.
The food is a nice size for cats, and it is just smelly enough for them to be interested and
humans to not mind it.

I do wish Blue Buffalo would be a little more clear on what the difference is between the various
types of dry cat food. We bought the Spa Select the first time, and I got this one this time.
I don't know what the difference is, and I didn't save the bag. More clarification or a comparison
chart from the vendor would be nice. Even their own site does not really do a good job of this.
They compare against other cat food brands, but not within themselves.

Anyway, the cats both love it, and the ingredients are very healthy for them. Little if any fillers.
We fill their treat ball with this food, and feed them wet once a day.
This is the food they go after at 3 in the morning.
on January 27, 2011
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-PoundVerified Purchase
I adopted a cat last year from the SPCA. They sent her home with a bag of Hill Science Diet. Luckily, she was at the SPCA less than one week before I adopted her. She became very ill once home. Trying different things, I finally decided to try eliminating certain foods. Every cat food you buy at big box stores has chicken in it, no matter the flavor. So started reading lables at a leading pet store. Still difficult finding one. Petsmart had a store brand with turkey, and my cat ate this for months. Then she wouldn't touch it. Tried several other types before I came across this food. No chicken. She has been gaining weight since eating this food. I am just keeping my figners crossed she doesn't tire of it. Not many options out there.
on September 12, 2013
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-Pound
We adopted two 6-month-old domestic shorthair kittens (siblings) a year ago. They were skinny, but not malnourished, when we got them from the adoption agency. Did a lot of research and decided to try them on BB kitten food ('til they were 1 year). Fortunately, they loved it and began plumping up (in a good way) noticeably within a week or so. At just about 1 year, we switched to the adult dry. (We supplement another brand of wet food as well.)

I don't know how much of their current build/state is genetics, but they're the pictures of health: clean, soft, shiny fur (and not excessive shedders); strong as hell with great muscle tone; lively; alert; and energetic.

Because we put some of the very best food available into them, I can be pretty sure that this has a good amount to do with how healthy and perfect looking they are.

It's not exactly cheap, so not everyone may be able to afford it (or choose to pay for the quality), but I feel and have read/heard a lot about it truly being some of the very best out there. I'd prefer it to be less expensive, but hey, it's quality and it just may pay for itself with healthier cats and less vet visits over the years.

The 1-star reviews here are truly ridiculous: Why bag a product with a 1-star review solely because your cat doesn't like it? Not everyone likes every food; animals are the same. If you can't rate it based on results, then don't even rate it--your rating doesn't count and doesn't help anyone. No single food is appetizing to every cat out there. And to 1-star it because it's pricey (and you still bought it) is out of line. People expect the world for pennies. The ingredients in this and the processes used to produce it are worlds above the generic supermarket cat food brands; of course it'll be far more expensive than Friskies or Fancy Feast. Get real, people, and use your brains.
on March 20, 2011
Flavor Name: chickenSize Name: 3-PoundVerified Purchase
My cats love this item, the cost in the pet stores are a little costly but at amazon yu can get it at a pretty good price.
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-Pound
My 3 kitties love this food. I switch it up every other bag between the salmon and the chicken recipes. They like both and I'm sure they get bored with the same food all the time. Since I switched to this food, there hasn't been a single hairball. Not one! Although they haven't lost any weight (they look more like lion cubs than cats, lol) their coats are beautiful and they're shedding less, which is always a blessing. I don't feed them a set amount, I let them graze (which is probably the reason they haven't shed a pound) but with 3, it's almost impossible to regulate them to a morning and evening meal. They're indoor kitties and truthfully, I can't be bothered to do this. But this food has been a big change for them. I used to feed them junk (bad me) and they were spitting up hairballs constantly. It was sooo gross! But I decided to fork over the extra bucks and feed them something that was much better for them. I'm so glad I did. They had no digestive issues when I made the switch and they really like this food. They also eat much less of it than they did the cheap stuff. I've learned my lesson. I will stick with this formula and the chicken and rice. They have no food sensitivities so there's no need to go grain free and actually, cats are obligate carnivores so any carbohydrates are simply roughage, whether it's potato or rice. I've now been through 3 15 pound bags and not a single hairball. Amazing. I'm a customer for life! I highly recommend this product.
on October 7, 2010
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-PoundVerified Purchase
My two cats love Blue Buffalo. Being disabled (I use a walker), it's difficult enough getting on and off the bus without packages; with packages it's almost impossible as we have a lot of older buses still in service. Stairs make it a horrendous trip. Using Amazon, I can make sure my two always have food and I don't have to worry about bad weather or non-working handicap lifts.
on March 24, 2014
Flavor Name: seafoodSize Name: 7-PoundVerified Purchase
My cats love it, their poo smells better and is easier to scoop, truly worth the money. I will never switch to another brand.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations