5.0 out of 5 stars Delicous, sophisticated, easy international food
Published on May 31, 2008 by Brunie Feliciano

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really from a kitchen garden....
I've had this cookbook for a while, and it is a lovely one. The pictures are beautiful, the recipes are varied and sound delicious, and the few that I've made have turned out well. As a cookbook, it's great.

Published on July 16, 2009 by Cook and New Gardener

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really from a kitchen garden...., July 16, 2009
Cook and New Gardener (Washington state, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes: Recipes from a Modern Kitchen Garden (Hardcover)

BUT, it's not really about "Recipes from a Modern Kitchen Garden" as the subtitle suggests. This is the first year I've had a kitchen garden myself and have been looking through my cookbooks with an eye for using what is growing like crazy in my garden - greens, summer squash, turnips, broccoli, potatoes, carrots, beets, beans, tomatoes, corn, you know, the usual stuff. I thought this would be a great resource for recipes, but looking at it again, from the perspective of finding recipes that would help me use my bounty, and it's a flop. The book is heavily meat-centric with lots of recipes for seafood, beef and pork (I don't grow any of those in my garden). The dessert section is luscious, but with a focus on chocolate chip cookies, chocolate layer cake, hazelnut coffee cake, and the like, it sure doesn't help use the strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries that my garden is producing. There are some lovely side vegetable dishes (roasted carrots and fennel caught my eye), but many of the salad recipes are based on beans or grains with herbs and cheese and nuts - more things that don't grow in my garden.

So, while I can recommend the book and I agree that it's both coffee-table and kitchen-counter worthy, it isn't as advertised. Don't expect lots of suggestions for using things from your own Modern Kitchen Garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicous, sophisticated, easy international food, May 31, 2008
Brunie Feliciano (Oceanside New York) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this book and I'm in love......it is a beautiful book with emphasis on simplicty, flavor, and sophisication. I love the idea of home grown foods....the full-page photography and artistic text are fabulous...we just made the chocolate chip cookies and it was fabulously delicious. I have collected many chocolate chip cookie recipes and this is the best one....although I must confess that I used good bittersweet chopped chocolate instead of the milk chocolate chips. Another great aspect of this book is that it utilizes exotic flavors and incorporates world cuisines, such as Cuban, Morocco, Greece, Middle Eastern, Mexican...the results are delicious, elegant, and contemporary. For any serious cook, this is a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fabulous cookbook!, April 25, 2008
I love this book! The unique recipes are easy to follow and feature bright, fresh, delicious flavors. The simple kitchen garden guide gives great advice on growing your own ingredients. I collect cookbooks and this is definitely my new favorite!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have Book, May 3, 2008
Kirstie Rothauge (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a book of great recipes, tips and beautiful photographs. Whenever I look at the recipes, I can't wait to make them.
Her flavors are fresh, clean and global. I, also, appreciate that the ingredients are accessible...no searching of specialty markets for a teaspoon of an expensive ingredient. Likewise, the recipes are accurate and well thought out. If you follow her recipe, you will have a great meal.
Thank you Jeanne Kelley.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful AND useful!, April 23, 2008
C. D. Roussel (birmingham, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I read a review of this book in Bon Appetit and instantly knew I had to have it. Once you get your hands on this book, you will yearn for an abundant summer garden. Sun-warmed tomatoes cannot arrive soon enough. I found a local Araucana chicken egg purveyor and have become hooked. The eggs are amazing and so beautiful. And this book will have you wanting chickens of your own (or at least a close relative.) Now, if I could just get that composting pile going that the author details...

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Wedding Gift, June 23, 2008
JoBea Holt "mom" (Altadena, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book has it all - a beautiful cover, a gorgeous inside and, most important, recipes that are absolutely delicious and go hand-in-hand with your garden. Suggestions for what to have on hand in the kitchen will get you started on the right track, and composting advice will keep your garden and your planet healthy for years to come. "Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes" makes a wonderful and unique wedding gift - perhaps along with an herb or two for fun! Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, great recipes, July 22, 2008
I ordered this book sight unseen, largely from the reviews and the fact that I loved the cover. It is the perfect kitchen-garden cookbook...full of delicious recipes you'll actually use from ingredients you likely have on hand or nearby. I would recommend it to anyone who loves to cook...especially those with an interest in garden to table cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Cookbook, April 23, 2008
This is a beautiful cookbook. The recipes are delicious and use seasonal items. The section on what to have in your kitchen is informative, interesting, and personal. It is wonderful to read, look at, and cook from. A great addition to everyone's kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, May 19, 2014
This is an excellent cookbook. I love the Meyer lemon recipes. I liked it so much I bought another as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mom loved it, January 3, 2014
So, this book is pretty awesome and has farm fresh items as the front and center stars. Bought it for my Mom (who is an organic farmer) and she loves it. Says it reminds her of her produce and eggs...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes: Recipes from a Modern Kitchen Garden
Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes: Recipes from a Modern Kitchen Garden by Jeanne Thiel Kelley (Hardcover - March 25, 2008)
Used & New from: $6.29