Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$3.99

on April 26, 2012
I really like Diane Moody's books. She has a fun imagination and knows how to make people laugh out loud while they are reading her books. Then you're crying and laughing at the same time. What a sense of humor her characters have. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book about Elvis. Not really my style but I have to say she got my attention right away with the story that really centers around Shelby. Some of the book is based on real events that happened at Baptist Memorial Hospital where the author had worked in Memphis the home of Elvis Presley. It is a realistic story about people you can believe could be real and Their reactions to fun times and sad times. The story deals with people who deal with sickness, pain, heartache and most of all trusting in God even though things don't seem to be going right.

You think the book has come to it's end and suddenly it takes a new turn and really gets you to thinking that it is real but you have to remind yourself that this is a fiction book. I won't take the fun out of the surprise at the end.

You don't have to be an Elvis fan to read this book. He is just one of the characters that pops in and out of the story. It is about several young women, mainly Shelby and her roommate, Sandra, who are the "hostesses" that help patients adjust to their hospital stays and the many doctor's and nurses who work together with them in the hospital.

Just be prepared to laugh and cry.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2012
Blue Like Elvis is an intersection of memories and fiction of Memphis, TN in 1977--when the King was on the throne, and Memorial Baptist had the Hostess Patient Representative program--a program ahead of its time. With nostalgia, romance, and plenty of Elvis sightings, Blue Like Elvis is a pleasing addition to the Moody Blue Trilogy. A fun read!
on June 3, 2012
Having just recently began reading books by Diane Moody, I am looking forward with much interest for the next one for readers. this one has just about everything desired in a light read--comedy, romantic interest, Elvis--all wrapped up in learning to trust in man, but above all, God. Read and enjoy! :-)
on November 7, 2012
This is only my second book I have read by Diane Moody. The Runaway Pastor's Wife was the first...a very good read. Blue Like Elvis was a little less than my expectations and just a bit of a let down. I have to agree with another reviewer, if you are an Elvis fan do yourself a favor and skip the last chapter. My mind just will not let me accept the ending, maybe others can tolerate it but not me.

I'm getting ready to read the first book of this trilogy, have it on my kindle now but being an Elvis fan you know I had to read Blue Like Elvis first. Since these books are stand alone stories there should be no problem with that. I've seen good responses from reviewers on the first book, Blue Christmas, so I'm all set for a good read from Ms. Moody.
on October 1, 2013
This was a pretty good book. I live in Memphis, or rather just outside Memphis, and have lived here my entire life, so I recognized the places mentioned in the book. I was here when Elvis died and know exactly where I was and what I was doing. I feel that the book would have been just as good without the Elvis sightings and think that they were added to sell the book. I fully agree with some of the other reviewers that the last chapter should not have been in the book. That said, I am only giving this book 2 stars.
on October 3, 2012
I liked the story...a little predictable but that seems to be how her other books are too. My PET PEEVE is where she uses the term "Crocodile Tears" to describe the character who was crying from joy of the birth of his son. Obviously, the author and her proof readers did not catch this. If you do not know what the definition of a term is ...please look it up.
on November 3, 2012
Having lived in Memphis until 1976, I recognized all the real places in the book. Good memories! I know exactly were I was when Elvis died.
Really enjoyed the book!
on July 24, 2012
This is a heart-warming story with good characters with a respectful tribute to Elvis. So why ruin it? If you read this book, skip the last chapter. Wish I had.
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2012
While I grew up in the Elvis era and heard all the stories about him, this book was not what I expected.

The first book was so good pulling you into the McKenzie family I really thought the second book would be more about the family and/or other band members. Usually a Trilogy indicates stories around the same set of characters.
on May 26, 2012
I didn't think I was going to like this novel at first, but I was wrong. I don't usually like books in the first person or those that are flashbacks or backstories as much. There were also some formatting problems. I hated the double spacing on my Kindle, which meant twice the page flipping, and there were places where the scanning messed up. Punctuation didn't always follow the rules, either. I also found it odd she mentioned the Mayor of Shelby County, Tennessee. Do counties have mayors?

Nevertheless, the more I read, the more I enjoyed the book. The Elvis ending was a little over-the-top, but I found I could rate the book no less than a five. It was that good.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse