5.0 out of 5 stars Read to Your Child to Develop Bonding and Intellect!
Published on August 3, 2000 by Donald Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Colors are wrong
First two blue items are actually purple, the same color as the purple socks at the end (which has an actual blue item on the same page). Printing error, I hope. Returning this. Content seems good, if not for the wrong colors. Will have to purchase it locally.
Published on November 22, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Read to Your Child to Develop Bonding and Intellect!, August 3, 2000
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Blue Hat, Green Hat was one of her picks.
Although ostensibly about colors, this book is subtly about much more. Clothes are put on an elephant, a bear, a moose, and a turkey. As you can imagine, putting clothes on a turkey is a challenge. So the turkey always has the clothes on in some strange way (shirt around tail feathers but not on legs, hat on the feet, pants around head and chest, socks on front feathers, coat on beak, etc.). That is a wonderful way to teach you child the word "oops" and to associate doing something unusual with fun. What a great preparation for mistakes later in life!
All of the pictures are pretty silly, so you will engage your child's sense of the ridiculous. For example, the elephant, bear and moose are standing on their hands when wearing colored pants.
For help with learning the colors, each sequence has the colors in a different order. That makes learning a greater challenge and more interesting.
By sticking with few colors and many situations, the task of learning is made manageable for the child. Since the story is short, it also matches a child's attention span.
Overcome your misconception stall that young children are not ready for humor and book learning!
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Socks!, October 29, 2009
Amazon Customer "pinkmaggit" (Beaverton, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:41 Mins

My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed Belly Laughs!, August 10, 2002
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
Well, the other animals seem to be able to put their clothes on (a task that takes quite a bit of early skill, as any parent or grandparent knows). But what about the poor rooster? Ooops! The poor thing just can't get it right.
This wonderful book is special on many levels. First of all, it tickles a toddler's funny bone like no other...listen to your child yell, "Ooops!" and break up laughing. Definitely a plus right there. Then, it subtly teaches colors (the blue hat is indeed blue, the green hat is indeed green, and so forth). And finally, it shows the child that it's OK to make mistakes, and that learning such a huge task as dressing oneself can be hard even for roosters!
Along with every other Boynton book I've ever seen, this one's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boynton does it again!, February 10, 2000
Linda M. (Metairie, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
My almost two-year old laughed and loved this book from the very first reading. He giggles at every "oops" every time, and is always saying "read again." An excellent book for helping children learn colors and articles of clothing, but most of all just a FUN book for parents to share with their kids. A great addition to our growing Boynton collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for little ones, April 28, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
I have to start with a confession - I don't like this book! Sandra Boynton writes such great books that this one was a disappointment - I just don't find it very creative, or interesting. So why did I give it 4 stars? My two-year old LOVES IT! He laughs and laughs everytime we read it, and loves pointing out the different color pants, shirt, hat or whatever is on a given page. It's one of his favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, April 7, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
This was my all time favorite book to read with my children. The simplicity of the humor in this book is very enjoyable. We love the silly turkey that just can't get it right, and even when he does get it right, gets it wrong. We always referred to this book as the "Oops book." Even if a child has no reading skills whatsoever, they will enjoy "reading" the oops part every 2 pages. I highly reccomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for any child, July 19, 2000
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
I bought this book on a whim with a few other Boynton books, but it's one of my favorite. My son could "read" it before he was 2! I will read it in the dark to my son and he knows exactly where to supply the "Oops". I'm even going to send it to my friend's child in France, because it's so easy to match the words and pictures that I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oops! She did it again!, April 11, 2005
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
I am so impressed with these series of books from Sandra Boynton! I LOVE this book! Yeah, I know, it is supposed to be more about my kids, but let's not underestimate the importance of a parent truly enjoying what they are reading out loud to their child!!!

This book is AWESOME! I think the turkey is hilarious in this book, and my children do too. I know my children like this book for themselves, but I think they also like how excited I get when they pick this book for me to read to them.

Not only is this book witty, smart, and visually appealing, but it is educational as well. This book teaches colors, articles of clothing, and how NOT to dress! LOL! That can be VERY important!

This book is a MUST, as well as ANY book from Sandra Boynton!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Hat, Green Hat, Red Hat, oops., December 31, 2003
...Loggie... "Loggie-log-log-log" (I live on the earth, in the western hemisphere, in North America, in the country of the United States of America, in Illinois in the town of Champaign) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
I really like this book. In it there are four characters; an elephant, a moose, a bear and a turkey. The elephant, moose, and bear all have no problem dressing themselves. They put their hats on their heads, pants on their legs, socks on their feet, etc. The poor turkey however can't seem to get anything right. He stands on his hat, puts his pants on his head, puts his coat on backwards, etc. The one time he does manage to get all dressed properly, he jumps into the pool! (oops)
Sandra Boynton's pictures are always adorable, and this book is no exception. The pictures are also very bold and bright. The story is told like the following: "Blue Hat, Green Hat, Read Hat, oops." Under each set of words is a picture of an animal wearing (or standing in) their hat. A wonderful book.
Loggie-log-log-log

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for little readers!, March 28, 2000
Tim (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) (Board book)
My 3-year old daughter loves this book. So much, in fact, that this is the first book she's able to read out loud herself. It's simple enough for little ones to remember the words to, and it's also fun for them to read because at each 'Oops!' they giggle with delight! My daughter loves reading this book over and over to me and is well on the way to learning how to read at an early age because of it.
Buy this book!

Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board)
Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board) by Sandra Boynton (Board book - October 11, 1984)
$5.99 $3.30