Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 5, 2002
My mother, guided by a recommendation from a store clerk, bought the cassette of this album for my father on their wedding anniversary. So my very first exposure to Harry Connick Jr. was by chance. Or rather, by destiny: as this album has inspired me in more ways than I can describe.
Six years later, after having worn out two tapes, i bought the album on CD. Now, five years after buying the CD, I plan on buying another - as it's been played over and over and over, causing much abuse.
A romantic effort with emotion so deep it is best measured in leagues, every song on the album is an amazing listen. From the beautiful title track that tells how all one needs for happiness is love to "He is, They Are" that tells of the care of a single father, Harry's voice takes you on a musical journey of which is likened to a quiet stroll in central park (or perhaps Berkley Square) on a warm August night.
His voice is often compared to Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, yet he remains undoubtedly his own - with a swing that is straight from 1943. Sometimes sweet, sometimes hot - the jazz is always grooving, rich and enveloping with instrumentation that is nothing less than perfect - thanks in no small part to solos by Leroy Jones (trumpet), Jerry Weldon (tenor sax), Brad Leali (alto sax), Ned Goold (tenor sax), and Russell Malone (acoustic guitar).
Enjoy "A Blessing and a Curse" and "With Imagination (I'll Get There)." Delight in romance with the likes of "She Belongs to Me" and "If I Could Give You More." Have fun with "Just Kiss Me" and "You Didn't Know Me When." Shed a tear with "Sonny Cried" and "The Last Payday." Listen to "Jill" and consider if it isn't the best Love song you've ever heard.
"Blue Light, Red Light" is, without a doubt, Harry Connick Jr's best album. I can say this because I own all of his albums. Proudly.
Treat yourself to good music with passion and soul and travel into the far, shadowed corners of your own heart and see what you discover. Treat yourself to "Blue Light, Red Light."
on November 19, 1999
The wonderful man of Jazz has put together one of the most powerful, meaningful albums of his career. "Red Light Blue Light" was produced by Harry Connick, Jr., as well as all of the songs being written, sang, and played by him. One song that stands out more than any other on this album is "Jill." You can't hear the sample here, but trust me it's one of the most moving Love Songs that I've ever heard. If you're in the mood for a great vocal performance then it doesn't get any better than this.
on February 19, 2004
This album is by far my favorite of all Harry's offerings. I first saw him on Donahue ages ago and ended up getting this CD. Harry since put out several other albums trying to re-invent himeself along the way with a little funk but the songs from Red Light Blue Light are what I measure all his other albums up against.
Harry on Red Light Blue Light is backed up by an extremely talented big band whom much of which are also featured on a Harry Connick Jr. DVD I highly recommend called The New York Big Band Concert.
on July 29, 1999
Like others, I first encountered Harry singing "Danny Boy" in Memphis Belle. What a style! What A VOICE! I kept rewinding the tape! I wondered whether he was a real singer (at the time) or "dubbed", so I hit the music shop and there he was. Of course, I was looking for "Danny Boy" but I found Blue Light,Red light and bought it. TOTALLY HOOKED. He's brought 40's style swing to the 90's for all of us new kids. The album has a lot of different flavors, but all done with the Big Band and his unique style. A little long though. Otherwise, very cool.
on November 11, 2005
Other releases of Harry's better demonstrate his jazz chops (some of the cuts on WHEN HARRY MET SALLY [ASIN B0000026V6] and 19[ASIN B0000026LW]) and others are more experimental (the Nawlins' funk expressed on SHE [ASIN B000002A64]) but as a reflection of Connick's usual big band style, this is probably his most realized attempt at offering his affection for the style by trying to add to the "Great American Songbook".

HIGHLIGHTS:
"Red Light, Blue Light" starts the disc in fine fashion with a tune that slinks along like a long lost film noir tune. (Listen to the contrast between the quiet clarinet and sections and the brassy bombast and see if you don't think "detective theme".) Connick knows that life can still be good if the bank account's not. ("Who cares if the floor ain't level/Or if the ceiling falls in....I can't be concerned/Why should I care?/No place I'd go alone would ever compare/Cuz I know/You're there") "You Didn't Know Me When" casts Connick as a rascal full of tall tales. ("If you want a resume, I'll put it in writing/It's only good for a day and the contents are frightening..") He shrugs aside suggestions of his truth-stretching by simply noting "Baby, you didn't know me when..." "He Is, They Are" follows a father through his children's eyes from days as breadwinner ("He is strong/They are secure") through a divorce ("She was gone/They were confused/He was forgetful/They were supportive") and finally as an aged man needing their help ("He is needing/they are giving/He is glad they are his own".) "With Imagination (I'll Get There)" is the most influenced by Connick's hometown, imbued with a heavy Dixieland flavour. "The Last Payday" is a cautionary tale to n'er-do-wells that reminds you that "You're always lucky/'til you get caught". It also makes nifty use of a billiard sample.

LOWS:
"Jill" is a bland sop to Connick's paramour at the time (wife now I believe). It features half-baked sentiments like "Look, my darling/And you'll hear me sing 'I love you' with my eyes". "It's Time" has way too much music and too little lyric. What could have been a decent tune if kept succinct drones on past the point of my interest. "Sonny Cried" is a sleepy affair based entirely around Connick's croon and Russell Malone's acoustic guitar. That in and of itself isn't the kiss of death but the lyric just doesn't have any real heft.

BOTTOM LINE:
Comes as close as I've heard to standing alongside Porter, Gershwin, etc. It's still the Connick CD I pull out most often. Recommended.
on October 26, 2000
It's got the big band sound and his killer Sinatra-like vocals, and it's all original material. It's a little smarter, lyric-wise, and a little more mature feeling than "We Are In Love". The first 6 songs are just wonderful, ranging from the ballad "Jill", to mid-tempo numbers like "You Didn't Know Me When", to a killer, swinging song called "With Imagination (I'll Get There)". On the last half of the disc, there are two gems, both up-tempo, "She Belongs To Me" and "Just Kiss Me" which are nothing short of timeless. I could see Glen Miller or The Andrews Sisters performing these songs. However, the ballads at the last half are unremarkable and a little flat ("Sonny Cried", "It's Time" and "The Last Payday"). But overall, a great swinging disc better than anything I've heard from The Brian Setzer Orchestra or Bad Bad Voodoo Daddy.
on May 25, 2004
This is by far Harry's most complete album. I got this CD in 1991 when I was twelve and just getting into music and fell in love with it. Thirteen years later I am still listening to the CD. It starts out with a powerful ballad in Blue Light, Red Light, comes to the halfway point with a great dixie land swing mix in With Imagination (great solos) and ends with a high energy big band piece, Kiss Me. People who appreciate jazz and music alike will be assured to enjoys hours of listening. P.S. Go see Harry live, the man puts on a great show and is an audience pleaser.
on July 24, 2000
Have you ever wondered if perhaps you were born into the wrong generation? Ever hear a tune or watch a movie that makes you wish you had been there, during that time? You are not alone, as Harry Connick must have felt the same way in order to produce such wonderful sounds and perpetuate the nostalgia inside everyone who listens. It's a walk down a memory lane, only you're creating your own memories to the sounds of a big band and a simple piano tune with Harry's voice to narrate your journey. You will not regret your purchase!
on December 6, 1999
Harry has out done himself again with this wonderful album. I know every song by memory and I have only had it for a week. Once you start listening to it you cant stop!Harry is a musical genius!
on July 26, 2000
I have always been around Harry Connick Jr's music, and I had heard this CD once at my sister's house. I fell in love with it, and I HAD to have it. When I ordered it off of Amazon, I couldn't wait for it to get here. Now that I have had it for a couple months, I have run down hundreds of batteries in my portable CD player, and I have blasted it while cleaning, cooking, and just about eveything else! It is the absolute best! It has a mixture of slow and upbeat. From "A Blessing and a Curse" to "Just Kiss Me," it doesn't get better than this! It's absolute great addition for any CD collection. My recommendations come very strongly for this CD!