4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning voice-- great album
Melissa Errico has one of the great current voices on Broadway, as evidenced by her fine work on HIGH SOCIETY & recent SADIE THOMPSON. This one though, with the exception of an absolutely
Published on March 6, 2003 by E. C Goodstein

3.0 out of 5 stars Peculiar Debut By Such a Talented Singer
I've been reading so much about Melissa Errico being this hot Broadway star, and how she was going to be this year's Norah Jones. Well, she chose some really strange songs to comprise her first album. Some of the songs are pretty good, beautiful in fact, but I still get the sense that she's slumming and capable of much better. This album is not very commercial, and yet...
Published on June 9, 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning voice-- great album, March 6, 2003
E. C Goodstein (Northern CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
beautiful take on Rodgers & Hart's "He Was Too Good to Me," is all contemporary pop fare. And it's very well chosen & sung. Those expecting another Norah Jones approach may be a bit surprised here-- but I don't think disappointed. Her voice is much prettier. She has reserve, which really helps ones like the Rickie Lee Jones songs & Joni Mitchell's "Nightride Home." Her singing with just piano on Billy Joel's "And So It Goes" is almost spiritual,and Randy Newman's "When He Loved Me" is gorgeous too. I wish she cut loose a BIT more, as her voice has considerable range, but mostly the reserve is very effective & intelligent IMO. There are IMO a couple of slightly weaker songs (though nothing is bad)-- but ME is a classy, major 'new' vocalist IMO. I think Eva Cassidy/Norah Jones/Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley fans will like this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Singer-- Beautiful album, March 10, 2003
E. C Goodstein (Northern CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
Beautiful voice!! Melissa Errico's maybe best known for her Broadway work, in COle Porter's HIGH SOCIETY, & the recent complete album of the Vernon Duke-Howard dietz musical, SADIE THOMPSON. Here though, except for a terrific version of "He Was to Good to Me" (though with a change to the 'how can I be gay now' line!), she tackles more pop fare, and succeeds very well. There is a bit of reserve, but for the most part that serves these songs very well. And there are some real highlights, like the Rickie Lee Jones songs, Joni Mitchell's "Night Ride Home," & Billy Joel's "And So It Goes," (this done beautifully with only solo piano), and the great sultry "Hot in Here." Arif Mardin's production quite rightly lets the voice 'star' here. A couple of slightly weaker songs-- not that anything is bad-- but def. one of the best 'B'way/pop' crossover albums I've heard. I think Eva Cassidy & maybe Norah Jones fans will also like Melissa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome singer!!, June 27, 2003
jaime l. long (Northern, michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
I just love her work. I am so taken aback when I listen to her music. I have never heard an artist that just took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. It's as if she knows what I am going thru. What a beautiful singer. Glad I saw her on one of the morning shows and bought her CD. I can't wait to find more material from her. Alittle blues, alittle country, mainly just nice to listen to and maybe reflect if in the mood. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Introduction to a Great Female Talent, November 19, 2003
Craig L. Howe (Darien, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
Melissa Errico uses a naturally beautiful voice to convey new meaning to songs by Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell and Randy Newman. Her interpretations of "When He Loved Me," "And So It Goes and "As Long As I Have You" particularly appeal to me.
Not being a close follower of Broadway musicals, this CD is my introduction to Melissa's music. I look forward to purchasing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, March 26, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
I haven't seen Ms. Errico live in performance, but I remembered her from her appearance on "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" last spring. She sang a lovely song from the CD called "Night Ride Home". I liked the song and I liked her personality. So when I came across the CD, I decided to give it a try. I was glad I did. Her voice is so incredibly pure and clear that it's almost surreal. The song choices are great, except for one or two ("Love Junkyard") which overreach just a little and almost step into the realm of cheese. Other than that, I hope that this is just the first of many releases from this artist. Well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Fan, September 21, 2004
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
I recently saw Ms. Errico's performance on one of the late night US Open recap shows. Even though I did not recognize her name, I did recognize her face as a film actress I had seen from time to time. I did not know about Melissa's Broadway and singing background, so I was caught off guard by her performance on this show. I was truly captivated by the quality of her voice and her calming presentation of the lyrics. I ordered this CD the next morning, and since it has arrived, I have not been disappointed. I have enjoyed playing it many times. For me, this listenability is a major key because I don't normally like listening to CDs over and over. I usually get tired or bored after one or two plays, but this CD is neither tiring or boring.
Again, for me, very few CDs fall into that "never tired of listening to" section of my collection. "Blue Like That" is now the newest member of that section. If you like soft rock sung by an artist with a talented voice that you never get tired of listening to, I would highly recommend this CD. I am looking forward to a second CD by Melissa Errico. I am rating this CD 4 stars, but if possible I would rate it the average you see of 4.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD!, April 10, 2004
Stewart Tick (Boynton Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
This is one of the best CDs I've had the pleasure to hear in years!
While Melissa Errico is apparently best-known for her roles in Broadway musicals, this album is actually more representative of her concert appearances than her theatrical performances. Contrary to what some of her fans may be expecting, it is primarily jazz-influenced soft rock, in a style quite similar to that of Norah Jones. In fact, it was produced by Norah's producer, Arif Mardin (which is what first attracted my attention to it).
I am not exaggerating at all when I say that Melissa has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard! And in contrast to many contemporary pop divas, she performs in an intimate, understated manner that is marked by insight and intelligence. Although I like all of the songs on the CD, my favorites include "Night Ride Home", "And So It Goes", "He Was Too Good To Me", "As Long As I Have You", and the title track, "Never Saw Blue Like That".
I would expect that many, if not most, fans of Norah Jones, Dido, and Sarah McLachlan will also enjoy Melissa. And this album is one that I would recommend without hesitation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ineffably Earnest and Sparkly, April 17, 2003
Anna (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
"Blue Like That" is a wonderful CD that sparkles with earnestnes and magic. Ms. Errico has a beautiful, lyric soprano, and, despite this gift, she is not afraid to explore an exuberantly natural belt in songs such as "I Keep it to Myself," or "Diamond in the Rough." Indeed, it is this complete and unself conscious tone and mode of singing that makes each song speak individually to the listener--Melissa Errico is obviously concerned with telling a story in each of the songs, from the giddiness and sense of one-ness with the world when falling in love (Blue Like That) to the quiet, rhythmic pace of "Night Ride Home." Errico's selection of music ranges from Joni Mitchell to Shawn Colvin, from Gerswhin to Randy Newman, but transcends any immediete label of lite pop/ soft rock. Her voice sets the scene, takes the audience on a ride that is almost dialogue-like in Errico's style of presentation and the words she sings. Errico redefines each of the songs to be uniquely personal . . . in "Diamond in the Rough," there's no question she is the little girl down by the stream, and in "Hot in Here," there's no question she is observing, feeling, being. Errico uses great songwriters to make each song her own, and illustrates the power of music to create a space where the music, artist, and audience combine. It's a masterful, beautiful work that should be listened to by anyone interested in hearing songs performed and understood, rather than vapidly sung with vocal acrobatics.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy listening CD from a Broadway singer, February 11, 2005
JLF "red panda" (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
It was a surprise to find this CD in one of the specialty CD stores in the Philippines. I have been meaning to have this CD since I last heard M. Errico in the Amour CD. She sang with such simplicity and honesty in that CD.

I immediately got this CD (it was the only copy, by the way, in the store). I am very glad to have done so. Some arrangements can be too melodramatic, as if the arranger is thinking of making this as a soundtrack for a TV series like "Felicity". The instrumentation and arrangement is...too "calculated". In some tracks, it is predictable.

The saving grace of the CD are the tested songs like When He Loved Me, He Was too Good to Me, and And so it goes. I listened to the CD prior to reading the liner notes. When He Loved me brough back the images of the reminiscing scene of the doll in Toy Story 2. This track is one of my favorite. Whatever the arrangement (degree of sappiness), the song will redeem itself. I am glad that the arrangers and producers did not do major tinkering with "And So It Goes". I have heard many broadway divas do a rendition of this song (e.g. Betty Buckley, Christine Andreas), but I will consider Melissa Errico's version as (currently) the best. So much simplicity and truthfulness.

The singer has a good range and obviously, knows when to use it (e.g. I Still Love You). The approach is very straighforward. She delivers the lyrics well.

I consider this as one of my best buys this year, at the same league with another favorite of mine, Jacqui Dankworth's "As the Sun Shines Down On Me".

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album, April 21, 2003
Steve (SAN DIEGO, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Like That (Audio CD)
I have now listened to this CD both at home and in my car. Very nice recording, good selection of songs, and what a great voice! Ms. Errico shines on the Broadway-style songs but really comes into her own on covers of Shawn Colvin and Billy Joel songs. The track from which the CD title is derived, "Never Saw Blue Like That," is engaging and lighthearted, while the Rogers and Hart standard "He Was Too Good To Me" is an excellent tribute to Ms. Errico's Broadway roots. Meanwhile, "And So It Goes" is a wonderful version of one of Billy Joel's lesser-known and most beautiful songs. Kudos to this fresh voice. Definitely worth buying if you enjoy a stylish album from a songstress with a lovely voice and a quiet sophistication unlike many of today's "American Idol"-esque female vocalists.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Like That
Blue Like That by Melissa Errico (Audio CD - 2003)