The target audience for a book like this is teenage girls, but this book breaks all stereotypical boundaries. I am not interested in wicca or he said she said girl fight drama; however, this book has all of the aforementioned elements and it can still draw in ANY reader of any age.

This book is full of suspense and can not be put down.

Laurie Faria Stolarz weaves a story of great interest and takes her knowledge of wicca and fortune telling to draw readers in to this unpredictable tale of mystery.

The author makes you want to grab Stacey(main character) and have her conjure up answers to the mysterious happenings RIGHT NOW because the book INVOLVES the reader--you really feel like part of the action.

I felt for Stacey's enormous responsibility of knowing what might happen in the future and trying to avoid a repeat of knowing and not changing the course of the future a few years prior.

Anyway, this is a great book from start to finish! It is so refreshing to continue to find so many different types of riveting Young Adult literature out there.

I hope this author replicates this type of writing with each new book!
on May 9, 2011
So far, there's nothing pretty about Stacey Brown's junior year at boarding school--not only does she have a crush on her best friend's boyfriend, she's started wetting the bed--always after having a terrifying nightmare that she can't quite remember. The last time she had nightmares, a little girl died. And this time, she's dreaming about Drea, her best friend who's the target of one seriously psycho stalker. A Wiccan through her grandmother, gifted with magic powers she doesn't fully understand, Stacey soon discovers that it's up to her to decide whether her best friend lives...or dies.

This book was a bizarre fusion of mystery, fantasy and chick lit that I wasn't quite sure whether I loved or hated. And speaking as someone who's dabbled in Wicca herself and known quite a few self-professed Wiccans, blending a real-life religion with fantasy is a risky move that rubbed me the wrong way. But if you're not Wiccan and you like a good time, then Blue is for Nightmares might just be for you.

An engrossing, good-time page-turner, I was with this book till the finish, though an annoying plot twist at the end ruined the ride a little. Even so, Stacey made for an interesting protagonist, and while her supporting characters were certainly stereotyped, they were all a lot of fun to hang out with for a few hours (which is about how long it took me to finish, almost entirely in one sitting). The boarding school was suitably bland and the subplots suitably cliched, leaving you with a mysterious fantastical piece of chick lit that isn't anything special, but is certainly entertaining.

My biggest problem with this novel, unfortunately, was that nothing ever really happens, not even in the final, nerve-wracking forty pages. While the suspense level never slackened, I put it down feeling slightly disappointed, like (to use a food metaphor) being given tofu when I thought I was getting a nice, spicy curry. I wasn't expecting high literature, but it would have been nice to get something a little more satisfying. Do I feel like picking up the rest of the series? Maybe, but not really.
on January 16, 2004
It's funny - when you're in a class, you don't seem to have much worry about what the teacher says. You want to see proof!
I took Laurie's Creative Writing classes for two years and listened to her tell me to "bleed!" on the pages. I never knew what she meant until last November when I finally received my copy on the mail. She definitely had every right to critique my work.
Blue is for Nightmares is Laurie's first novel. While, like any other work of art, it won't appeal to all readers, Blue really did appeal to me. I actually sat down and read the entire thing in one sitting.
THIS IS NOT A BOOK TO READ DIRECTLY BEFORE YOU GO TO BED... unless, of course, you don't plan on sleeping. I promise, you won't be able to put it down!
If you want a comparison, watch Sixth Sense. Laurie so powerfully weaves tiny little clues into her story that you are basically oblivious to them until the end, when you can look back and so, "Oh! So that's why!" and "Now why didn't I notice that before?"
Even I couldn't figure out who the stalker was, and I know the writer!
Read the book. :)
VINE VOICEon December 15, 2003
Secrets -- there seem to be lots of them at Hillcrest boarding school. Even Stacey has one. Since the start of the school year, she dreads sleep because she's been having nightmares about her roommate, Drea. But that's not her secret. The real reason she performs a ritual with candles and sage before bed is not so much to make the nightmares go away, but to make the bedwetting stop. Yup, that's right. In the midst of these nightmares where she's desperately trying to find Drea, 16-year old Stacey wets the bed. Combine that horribly disgusting secret with the fact that the last time she ignored her nightmares, a little girl wound up dead, and you've got a real sense of urgency within a carefully crafted maze of a plot.
You see, Stacey is descended from a long line of witches, or Wiccans -- as in followers of the Wicca religion. She knows card reading, potions, and spells, passed down from her grandmother. And she knows the nightmares and the bedwetting are happening for a reason. Even the cards spell out trouble for Drea, who eventually confesses to getting strange, anonymous emails, phone calls, and messages. So Stacey knows she has to pay attention to her dreams, in spite of the miserable bedwetting. When the same lilies that appear in her nightmares show up in the girls' bathroom, Stacey and Drea know that the stalker's not out there somewhere, but right nearby -- in school. Yet their attempt to find out the stalker's identity with the help of their friends, only leads them in circles. In the middle of it all, another student is murdered. From then on, Stacey's nightmares take on an even greater urgency. And everyone's paying attention. Which is a good thing when it comes to keeping Drea safe, but a bad thing when it comes to the bedwetting.
As is the nature of secrets, they are eventually revealed, and it seems like even their closest friends have something to hide when it comes to the unfortunate dead student. Could someone they eat lunch with and gossip with, someone they sit next to in class, actually be capable of murder? Through Stacey's spellbinding race to save Drea's life, she unravels the string of secrets and understands everything -- even the bedwetting.
Lovers of the hocus-pocus, Harry Potter style of witchcraft might be disappointed. But lovers of the spiritual side of Wicca will be in heaven. Into this real life mystery, Laurie Stolarz weaves an education about true witchcraft combined with a lesson in dream interpretation. She truly has a gift for lifting witchcraft out of the shadow of the broomstick and into the modern world. "Blue is for Nightmares" cast a spell on me.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was walking through my local Barnes & Noble and decided to peruse the teens section. There wasn't really anything there that I hadn't seen before, until I saw "Blue is for Nightmares". I was SO right to go with my intuition and buy this book. I really enjoyed it.

The book is filled with magic and wonderful suspense. I love how you never really can guess who's behind everything till the end. I also love the characters. Laurie Faria Stolarz is and amazing author for this being one of her first works.

I can't write too much about the book itself, because its all mystery and fun, so you'll have to take a chance and buy it. Enjoy!
on May 11, 2011
I just finished reading Blue is for Nightmares and was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad book. But I didn't see any of the promise I saw while reading her Touch Series.
I felt that it read more like a spell book than a drama. She spent too much time on step-by-stepping through the spells and not enough time on setting up the book. Didn't give you much of a feeling for the characters, what they were thinking, who they really were. And the descriptions kept coming piece-meal through the book so your thinks kept changing in my mind. She jumped into the story without enough set up, then kinda rushed the ending (making the "romance" part seem like a joke).
With that being said, I really did like the Touch Series so I will continue on to the next book with the hopes that she was just "honing her craft" with this one. I have faith the series will get better.
on December 9, 2003
If you want a good mystery about teenagers, then this is it! It starts out with a girl named Stacy, and she is reading Terot cards for her best friend Drea. She ends up pulling up the death card. Soon Drea is getting strange phone calls and recieving lilies, and for those of you that don't know, that is the flower of death. Not that being stocked and threatened wasn't enough Stacy is falling (or already tripped and fell on her face) for Drea's ex-boyfriend Chad. Soon there is a big Sherlock Holmes thing going on while Stacy tries to save Drea's life, and her own.
This is a very good book and I would suggest it to anybody even if you don't like mysteries, because it has more than just mystery there is also romance, and...well thats basically all you need, right?
So if you are looking for as god couch suggeling book here it is.
on May 31, 2004
This book is amazing and I couldn't put it down! Anyone who is a fantasy fan will love this novel. It's about a girl named Stacey who recieves these dreams about her friend Drea's murder, they turn out to be preminitions instead. Facing danger of being killed herself she is bound and determined to save Drea. Whether she saves her or not you have to read the book to find out!
on September 11, 2005
At first I was a little unsure about the book since I prefer 3rd person writing to 1st person writing( most of the time) but this book...once I started reading I was hooked. I highly recommend this book and the books that follow in this awesome series.

I also recommend Cate Tiernan's Sweep and Balefire Series.

And any book by L.J. Smith.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
this book was one of the best books i have ever read... it is actually the best book i have read. I just couldn't put it down. My friend told me about this book, and i just had to read it myslef because she said it was amazing, and it is. I really think you should read it.

When stacey keeps having dreams about her roomats/ best friend dieing, Drea, Stacey wants to save dreas life. But Stacey finds that is not the easy to do it at all. The whole book is about that. When ever you think that Drea is goin to die, it just keeps going. The author never gets you bored. Just don't read it before you go to bed because u will never be able to fall asleep. It's just that good that you don't want to put it down

Read this book before you read White is for Magic because it is just one big story in 2 books.. soon to be 3. I can't wait til the 3rd book Sliver is for secrets comes out. I hope it is as good as This book and the sequal. This book is definatly a 5 STAR book.