Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Style Name: Spot itProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

on July 11, 2010
I just bought the game and played it several times with adults and with 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders. It is great fun and very simple to understand and play.
The goal is to be the first to identify a match on a pair of cards and to call out out the name of the figure in common. It is exciting to spot the match, frustrating to know there is a match which one cannot see, and disappointing when one is beaten to the punch. The game keeps everyone engaged. All the children laughed as we played, and all wanted to play again and again. And the youngest (7) and oldest (65) of us were winners. What more could one want for a summer game at the beach?!!

If you lose a card or two the game is still just as good.
on May 1, 2011
The game says it's for 7 and up and is billed as mostly an adult party game. But I have to say, my 4 year old LOVES it.

We have only played "The Tower" version of the rules - where each player has one card and tries to spot their matching symbol on the top card of the pile as soon as it is turned face up. The first time we played it, we (the adults) would close their eyes and not look at the center card while we counted to 5. This allowed our daughter to have a head start since her visual discrimination skills are not nearly as developed as ours. Each time we played the game, we ended up counting to a lower number until finally, she didn't need any lead time at all.

I highly recommend this game to parents of preschoolers, early grade schoolers, and any kids with reading difficulties. Being able to quickly spot the differences in letters, to decide if it's a "b", "d", or even a "p" is critical to being able to read. This is a fun way to boost those skills as well as a fun way to spend time as a family.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2010
We got this game to take with us on a family trip and it has quickly become a fave around our house. It's hard to find games the whole family can play (Our kids are 4 and 8). There are several different ways you can play and every hand is different, so you don't get bored. It is also small and even fits in my purse, so it travels well and makes a great game to take to restaurants or the doctors' office (anywhere you might have to wait).
on March 31, 2011
The key to this game is both remarkable and elementary: There is one (and only one) matching symbol between every card in the deck. The goal simple: Be the first to spot the match and you'll be successful, gaining or discarding cards depending on the variation you play.

Sound too easy? Think again.

There are times when the match is instantly recognizable. BAM! MATCH! (Gameplay gets pretty fast and exciting!) Other times, you'll swear there's no match and spend precious seconds pouring over the various shapes, confounded by the fact that you KNOW there's a match, you just can't SEE it. That's part of the fun, 'cause it eventually happens to everyone. No two games are exactly alike so we've found SPOT IT has great replay value.

This game is instantly accessable, takes about 30 seconds to learn, and is enjoyable for everyone we've played it with from ages 8 - 80. It's intense, fast, sometimes LOUD, but most of all sure-fire fun. I dare say this is a can't-miss game night purchase.

on November 24, 2010
There were 4 of us women on vacation in Hawaii - we played this every night. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's a lot of fun and never gets old. One game you'll be on fire - seeing all the matches and the next game you can't seem to find any. We laughed so much. Every different version of the game was fun, we let the dealer pick so we played 3 of the 4 versions many, many times. This is a great fun game for any age, mixed ages, competitive types as well as more passive types. I can't wait until the next time I play it again!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My kids love the original Spot It Game, so they were excited when they heard of a few new Spot It Games that were now on the market. This Spot it, allows you to have a blast in the car with symbols that you may see along the way from destination to destination. The game is easy enough and encourages all to stay alert and encourages quick thinking. I love this game as a father because the game itself is interactive and engaging. I also love how easy this game is to transport, so no matter where you are going, this game simply slips into your bag for easy transport! My kids love it because they like to see if they are faster than their dad (sometimes they are). All-in-all this is a great addition to the Spot It! line of games!
on March 23, 2011
The following review was written by Parker, one of my fourth grade students. We play Spot It! in my class from time to time and it is a BIG hit with the students.

Edit/Note (3/31/11): If you want to get a taste of this great game, Blue Orange Games has a demo you can play for free on their website right here: [...]

Spot it is a great game to play. There are many different ways to play it, and the game includes directions for 4 different ways. My favorite way to play is called Hot Potato. Hot Potato is pretty easy to play. First you get as many people as you want to play, then separate all the people that are playing into 4 even(ish) groups.
Then you give every one who is playing a card that they place face down in their hand. When the game starts, everyone flips over their card and whoever finds a match from their card on one of the other calls it out and gives the person their card. Play continues until one person ends up with all of the cards and then they are 'out' until the game is over.

Every card of Spot it at least has one picture that has a match on EVERY other card. I pulled one card out of the container and it had a tree, sunglasses, sunflower, dog, raindrop, and a carrot. I picked up a different card and it had the dog on it. There can be as many people as you want to play.

That's why Spot it can be a very fun game. I also me personally think it's a five star game.

Pros: Doesn't cost much, fun to play, always challenging, very quick, an easy game to play.

Cons: Sometimes it is hard to find the match, sometimes the game moves VERY quickly
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When Blue Orange Games asked me if I would review "MLB Spot It!," I was happy to do so as a break from the books and apps I usually review. From the description, it sounded like an interesting game for anyone who's a baseball fan. Actually, it requires no specific knowledge of baseball, so it's a nice game for just about anyone.

The deck includes 55 cards, with each card having eight different baseball-related symbols printed on it. The instructions list the rules for playing five different games. Typically, your goal is to end the game with either the most cards or with no cards in your hand. In every game, you're looking for the one symbol on your card that matches a symbol on the common card or on an opponent's card. In other words, it's just the opposite of "find-the-difference" games.

The game is simple to play, but it requires alertness and concentration to quickly spot the matching symbol. My wife and I played one version, "The Tower," with two young nieces (ages 10 and 8), and they did very well, winning several games. "MLB Spot It" is a fun game that spurred some intense competition.

The game developer has an online practice "Spot It" game. The practice game is timed, which forces you to concentrate on the symbols. It's a great simulator, and I highly recommend playing it a few times before you deal the cards for a game against other players.
on February 6, 2011
My nearly four year old daughter loves this game. There is a matching symbol between any two card. My daughter could usually spot the matching symbol, and she learned some new vocabulary while we played it. We played it on a four hour plane ride recently and it worked very well. It's very compact and we were able to play on the plane tray table with no problem. The only thing is that it has a picture of a bomb on it, and I didn't want her to yell out bomb on the plane. So we had to call it a "black ball". Besides that, this is a perfect toy for traveling. Both young and old will enjoy it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2012
The Basics:
o For ages 4 and up (publishers suggest 6+)
o For 2 to 8 players

o None

o Gamer Geek rejected!
o Parent Geek approved!
o Child Geek approved!

Spot It! is a fun and fast game that requires quick reflexes and a sharp eye. Each card has 1, and only 1, symbol that will match only 1 symbol on any other card in the deck. Players must quickly identify what symbol that is by visually scanning the cards. The game is challenging without being heavy and is accessible to very young little geeks and wizened venerable geeks alike!

Spot It! is a game comprised of 55 cards. Each card has 8 random symbols on it. In total, there are more than 50 symbols in the game. The round cards are made of the same basic card stock as a standard deck of playing cards and will be durable enough to last for many, many games. The game itself, complete with rules, all fits in a small tin box that is light and very portable (fits in the palm of your hand). This makes the Spot It! excellent for trips and getting your game geekiness on whilst abroad.

Five Games in One!

Spot it! comes with five mini games that all play on the same mechanic of single symbol matching. Depending on the mini game being played, the players are either attempting to collect the most cards or discard the most cards. All the mini games are fast and easy to teach. The core mechanic of single symbol matching is in the forefront of each game, but the subtle play style differences makes each mini game feel like a unique experience.

About the Mini Games

Each of the five mini games are summarized here.

o The Tower: One card is dealt to each player face-down and the rest of the cards are placed in a face-up pile called the "Tower". At the same time, the players flip over their face-down card and attempt to be the first to spot the matching symbol using their card and the Tower. The first player to identify it collects the Tower card. This card now belongs to the player and is used to match symbols, replacing their old card. Play continues with each player attempting to be the first to match one of their symbols to the new top card on the Tower. Once all the cards in the Tower are claimed, the winner is the player with the most cards collected.

o The Well: The reverse of the Tower. One card is dealt face-up to the center of table and the rest are dealt to the players face down. At the same time, the players flip over their face-down card and attempt to be the first to spot the matching symbol on the center card. The first player to identify it discards their card, replacing the center card. Play continues until one player is out of cards and is declared the winner.

o Hot Potato: Deal one face-down card to each player and have them hold it in the palm of their hand. At the same time, the players flip over the card and display it so all the other players can see it. Quickly match a symbol and call it out. If the match is successful, give your card to the player with the matching symbol. That player now places the new card on top and attempts to match those symbols going forward. If the player has 2 or more cards when they make a match, they give all their cards to the other player. Play continues for a number of specified rounds (determined by the players or randomly decided). The player with the least number of cards wins at the end of the game.

o The Poisoned Gift: One card is dealt to each player face-down and the rest of the cards are placed in a face-up pile in the same style as the "Tower". At the same time, the players flip over their face-down card and attempt to be the first to spot the matching symbol in their opponent's cards and one on the top card revealed in the pile. The first player to identify it gives the top card of the pile to that player and a new pile card is revealed. Play continues until all the cards in the pile are given. The winner is the player with the least number of cards.

o Triplet: Nine cards in a 3×3 grid are dealt face-up. The players attempt to match 3 symbols on any of the 9 cards. The first player to find a match calls it and collects the 3 cards. Another 3 cards are dealt, replacing the three that were just claimed. Play continues until the 3×3 grid can no longer be replenished by the draw pile. The winner is the player with the most cards.

As already mentioned, each game is slightly different but all use the same mechanic of symbol matching. This allows you to teach the game once and play it five different ways!

My little geeks love to play games, especially those that allow everyone to laugh and be active at the table. More and more, they want to raid their father's game collection and play games on their own. LEGO Minotaurus and Monster 4 gets a lot of love as does Rattlesnake. Games that are easy to set up and quick to play are selected often. This is due in part of the lack of patience my little geeks have in regards to the time it takes to put the larger games together as well as their overall attention span (or lack thereof).

When I introduced Spot It! to my little geeks, the first thing I told them was the game was very fast to set up and play. When I demonstrated this by shuffling the deck and dealing the cards to play The Tower mini game, they were instantly impressed! Bing! Bang! Boom! First player go! This appealed specifically to my 4-year-old who wanted to set up the game each and every time. Because Spot It! is an easy game to set up, I was more than happy to give that responsibility to him. He was overjoyed!

After explaining a few of the mini games to my little geeks, agreeing on which one we would play first, and showing them how the symbols match by shape and color (but not necessarily by size or orientation), I gave the cards a quick shuffle. While doing so, I asked them their thoughts on Spot It! based on what they knew so far.

"Cool cards! I like how fast the game is ready to play!" ~Liam (age 7)

"I get to set up the game and be first player, right Daddy?" ~Nyhus (age 4)

Looks like Spot It! is spot on for my little geeks! (See what I did there?)

Final Word

Spot It! is a great successes with my family and with my little geeks! What really appealed to them was the basic mechanic of matching coupled with the need for speed. My little geeks are no strangers to memory and matching games and they quickly caught on to what was required of them. What they found very appealing were the five different games that all played on the same basic mechanic. This provided them the ability to play the game over and over again without getting out a new game.

As luck would have it, my soon to be 2-year-old, Ronan, also started playing the game by matching the different icons together if we put two cards side-by-side in front of him! We'd ask where the dragon was and he's point them out! He is a long, long, LONG way off from being able to play the game, but it was incredibly thrilling to see a very young little geek mind start to identify and match the symbols without prompting.

Gamer Geeks are going to enjoy this game but only in passing. It will be fun to bring to the table from time-to-time as it is fast and promotes some light competition. Emphasis on the "light". So light, in fact, that it will become of little interest to the Gamer Geek within a couple of minutes. Not a fault by any means when you consider that the Gamer Geek was most likely never an intended audience. However, it is worth noting that the Gamer Geeks I played Spot It! with did not turn their nose up to it, nor did they embrace it. Spot It! falls short of being a Gamer's game, but is clearly bringing enough to the table to make a Gamer Geek smile. Lacking strategy and tactics, it does not provide enough "meat" to satisfy a Gamer Geek's appetite, but Spot It! is an excellent appetizer for an evening of fulfilling game play.

Parent Geeks are going to love playing this game as are the non-gamers. It promotes friendly light competition, laughter, and keeps all the players engaged. The non-gamers I played the game with became rather focused and had a great time playing. Often we'd play several rounds, changing the mini game after each game was completed. This made each new game we played feel fresh. Add in the fact that the Spot It! is small and can be played easily on a tiny surface area and the Parent Geek has a game that can be packed in a purse or bag and brought out to play at the restaurant , on a coffee house table, or on the floor of the tent with ease.

Child Geeks simply love this game. My 4-year-old and 7-year-old were evenly matched and had a blast. Fast and easy, social and engaging, the Child Geek will seek the Parent Geeks out to play and will have no problem teaching it to their peers. I have also observed that my little geeks have made up their own mini games. I think the five mini games provided were enough to keep the game interesting, but I wasn't about to tell my little geeks to stop thinking of new ways to make the game even better! The round cards also seem to greatly appeal to the Child Geeks, which are not only visually interesting but also makes the cards easy for little hands to hold.

In summary, I am very pleased with Spot It! The game is exceedingly light but has a special charm to it that makes it fun to play casually or seriously, quickly or at a slower pace. Spot It! easily adjusts to your needs and changes gears seamlessly from one mini game to another. Simply just a great family and little geek's game!

This game was given to Father Geek as a review copy. Father Geek was not paid, bribed, wined, dined, or threatened in vain hopes of influencing this review. Such is the statuesque and legendary integrity of Father Geek.

Respectfully submitted by Father Geek