Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Toy|Change

VINE VOICEon May 22, 2012
Tell Tale comes with 60 round double-sided story cards, from which each player must make a story. The competition can be seen as Once Upon a Time, Rory's Story Cubes, and Scary Stories.

Tell Tall comes with four different games:
Round N Round -- Each person has 4 cards, Each person takes a turn flipping over their card, and adding to the ongoing story based on that card.
Showtime -- Each person gets 6 cards, and tells there story based on 6 cards uninterrupted, in order.
Storyboard -- Each person gets 6 cards, and can pick either side of each, and arranges their cards however they like. They then tell a story.
The Stack -- Take cards one at a time from the stack, until all sixty cards are exhausted.

Some examples of cards: woman jogging, modern shower,boxing glove, guitar, fortune teller, chemistry set, man in jeans dancing, man and girl in modern outfits on beach, man and girl in modern outfits dancing, big sign for motel cafe, patched teddy bear, box of tissue paper, saw-wrench-hammer, vector equations on chalkboard, ambulance, set of false teeth, boy playing baseball, television, drive-in, modern crutch, motorcycle, person using computer, cruise ship, modern toilet, some skyscrapers

These examples are not the stuff of fairy tales. Once you've established a prince fighting a giant lizard, it's not necessarily ideal for the modern world to intrude on the story. In the Once Upon a Time cards, all cards avoid things found only in the modern world. But I am an adult, and I know what an old style plow looks like, and the various tropes of fantasy. For youngsters, familiarity-bias is likely a good thing. At some age, maybe 10-12, the Once Upon a Time deck would be more suitable.
22 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2011
Seeing as my little girl knows how to read but insists on disregarding what's on the page to make up her own story, this was the perfect game (more like an activity I think...) for us to play together. There are different ways to go about it as outlined in the little booklet included in the tin, but the concept is fairly the same. You have to make up a story inspired by the pictures on each card you pull. I can't believe some of things she comes up with, this game really unleashes her creativity! For the 12 bucks I paid, I feel like I got a lot of value and it seems like this is a game that she will want to play for a while, which is more than what I can say for some of the other toys she gets!
What reminds me of this game is Rory's Story Cubes that has 9 dice with each facet carrying a different drawing on it. "Tell Tale" uses 60 round cards that has pictures on both sides. Both games are excellent in boosting creativity. The purpose of this game is to think on the spot, stir the imagination and just make up stories. It works better if you tell them to think of anything, even the silliest, and the impossible; if you put that in their minds, it just makes the game more fun.

I have another game called "Spot It" that my kids discovered from their Strategy Lab at school. It was such a hit in the family that searching for similar games online I saw "Tell Tale" from the same company. It is a completely different type game, but nevertheless it wasn't a disappointment.

My son is a member of their school's team for Odyssey of the Mind; it is a program to create a team or teams of students to compete with different schools. Creativity is one of the biggest aspects of the competition. This game is one perfect example of an excellent tool to practice their skills.

Two thumbs up.
First off, I would like to mention that I did receive "Tell Tale" from the manufacturer fro reviewing purposes.... secondly, I will say that I am very glad that I did, since it seems unlikely that I would have stumbled across it on my own.

"Tell Tale" consists of 60 double-sided cards that have (nearly) random images on them. The concept is very basic - you deal out *some cards* (I usually do 6, but it really doesn't matter too much) and you use the images (in sequence) to construct a story. Since you have 120 total images (60 cards x 2 sides) the possibilities for new stories is nearly limitless.

A few notes

- "Tell Tale" comes with a nice carrying/storage tin

- The stated age for the cards is 5 and-up, but my 2 1/2 old daughter LOVES using these cards for her bedtime stories (although there are about 10 or so that I choose not to use). Each story lasts for about 1-2 minutes (max), but since we have visual references they are easy to follow and quite fun.

- I love the imagination that is required to construct each new story.

- While we use "Tell Tale" as part of our night time routine - our daughter likes for us to use the cards for more stories during the day.

- She likes to play with the cards and pull out the ones she finds interesting in an attempt to construct her own story.

- Some of the images are a little advanced...such as calculus equations on a chalk board while others are a bit abstract (such as a dark cloud over someone's head), but none of them are out of the grasp of a 5 year old.

Final verdict - "Tell Tale" is nice clean family fun. It promotes the use of imagination throughout the entire family - for us it has a been a home run!

5 Stars
on September 28, 2011
My 5 year old loves playing this storytelling game. We pass out 4 cards to each of player and each of us takes a turn telling part of the story based on the picture on our cards. Sometimes we get cards that make the story very funny, sometimes we draw cards that make for a scary story and sometimes they just don't make any sense! But that's the fun of it! If your child likes telling stories then he'll love this game. Really gets the brain working!
on June 18, 2013
Game: Tell Tale, by blue orange
Teaches: Creativity, Thinking Skills, Imagination, speaking and listening skills

Tell Tale comes in a small round tin. The game contains instructions and 60 double sided cards. That is a total of 120 images to use for building stories. The instructions give you some examples of different ways to use the card in building stories. SmartyPants and I usually use these two card in two different ways.

1. I deal 3 cards out to each player (usually just the two of us, but sometimes Daddy plays, too.) Then we take turns picking one of our cards to create a big story together.

2. I deal a 7 or 8 cards to each of us and we each have to tell a story using at least five of the cards.

At first, SmartyPants had a hard time with this. His stories would go something like this: Once upon a time there was a cowboy, and then he saw a boat, and then he saw a key, and then he got a letter. He had a dog named Spot. The End! He's gotten a lot better, but he still has a way to go.

My one year old loves these cards. We use them for vocab practice. Dog! Baby! Potty! She participates by choosing her favorite cards and making me work them into our stories. Tell Tale is definitely one of her favorite games. Overall I would definitely recommend this game to anyone with children ages 4-10. Younger children may enjoy it as well, it depends on the child.

Pros: Fun, Educational, Develops Thinking Skills, Develops Imagination, Portable.

Cons: Potty humor very likely, there are a couple cards I don't like, and the pictures could possibly get repetitive (we haven't had this problem yet).

Here's a short youtube video of my son telling one of his stories:
review image review image review image
This is a perfect game for a family that has kids of all ages. Even if there is a child who cannot read yet, they can see the pictures and play the game but teens can play along, as can parents, without it being dumbed down either. That's pretty unique for a family game.

This works for 1-8 players. They use pictures drawn on the cards to create a story...for example, if one person drew the card that has a target on it, the other drew a monster, another drew someone jogging, and another a present...it result in a story about a friendly vampire named Peter who was shopping at Target when a monster came up to him and greeted him warmly but then the vampire smelled the garlic in the shopping basket and began hyperventilating, at which time they Target employees called 911...you fill in the rest.

The nice thing about the game is that it's great for travel and perfect to entertain kids at a restaurant. They learn listening skills rather than being sucked into their own world with an ipod, they learn creativity...and that helps them in creative problem solving throughout their lives, even in business later on, they learn to solve things and be a team player, they use their imagination and story telling...and they can do so with any age. It's actually fun for adults as well!

A great gift to bring a family together at the dinner table or on game night or just to get kids really using their brain to think and solve and imagine...but, better yet, they do so with a team.

It's also says a lot about what one kids comes up with as compared to another with the same card in future games...the target might mean Target shopping center to one kid and then the next talks about hunting with a bow and arrow, or Cupid making someone fall in love...this also helps kids see that things aren't black and white and one way...everyone can see the same thing differently.

And that's a good thing.

I received this game to give honest and unbiased feedback, I was not compensated in any way and the opinions are my own and unbiased.
on April 29, 2012
Tell Tale / B004P13H5U

Tell Tale is probably one of the most unique games in our collection, and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. The game features 60 round "cards", each with a unique image on each side, for a total of 120 images. The images are cartoony and simplistic and fairly American -- including a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge -- but convey a surprising wealth of information in many of them.

The object of the game is to tell a story based around these cards. This can either be done individually with each person telling a story, or with multiple teams creating a story, or in a round-robin style where each person tells part of the story before it is handed off to the next person and the next card. This last method was my favorite as it had immediate interaction between players but without the potential conflicts that can arise when trying to craft a story as a group. (I'm told by my family that I manage group projects a little TOO enthusiastically.)

The openness of the rules makes the game very subjective, and this will greatly affect whether or not you enjoy the game at all. This isn't necessarily something you can pick up and take to the next family reunion and be assured that a good time will be had by all; some people don't enjoy having to be creative on command. Others, we found, needed to be roped in with a timer or they'd go on all night long. The game is non-competitive and there's not a clear, objective way to declare a victor, so there's that to keep in mind as well.

We didn't have any small children on hand to help evaluate the product, so instead I'll point out that from an adult perspective, this is quite an intriguing toy beyond social gatherings. As an author and one who is always looking for ways to hone writing skills, I can't help but think that Tell Tale would be an ideal writing exercise. There's something very dynamic in turning over a previously-unknown card and being forced to work the result into an existing story, and the images have enough variance and detail that you can fudge the interpretation a little as needed.

So far, I've found solo play to be very satisfying, and I think that I, personally, will get more enjoyment out of this product as a writing tool rather than as a game. If they ever come out with "fantasy" and "science fiction" versions of this game, I'll definitely buy them to add to the collection.

NOTE: This review is based on a free Advance Review Copy of this product provided through the manufacturer.

~ Ana Mardoll
on August 8, 2012
I posted a review on "Spot It," and mentioned how AWESOME this game is!!!!! At school, between classes, me and my group of BFF's would run to Home Room, or the Cafeteria, and bring out our favorite game: Tell a Tale! Spot it was fun .... but Tell-a-Tale was ... AMAZING! Best card game ever! As yo might notice, I LOVE writing stories and reviews, so this game was AWESOME!!! I've never had as much fun with a card game! It's not a long game like others, not saying names .. ("AHEM!" "AHEM!" Monopoly!), so it's PERFECT for some Middle School fun at lunch, breaks, or in-between classes! It can last from 2 - 5 minutes to play one round with a small group, and if you have the time, why not play another round??? Why not you ask? The story changes each time! Here's what you do:
Give the right amount of cards to everyone
Go around in a circle
One person starts by making a beginning that relates to the pic on one of their cards ..
The next person picks a card that goes good with the last person's card, and so on and so forth!
The farther you get into the game, the harder it gets! You can play with outs, or just for fun, but if you play with outs, the best way to call someone out is to see if they pick a card that doesn't make sense, or just is not good with the topic!
The way we play it, is we just play for fun! The topic changes and changes and changes ... Here's some things we got:
Dragon Card: "There was once a dragon ..."
Cake card: "The dragon loved to eat cake ..."
Santa card: "The dragon would get the cake from Santa ..."
Falling off a cliff card: "But one day, Santa fell of a cliff."
Dumpster card: "And landed in a dumpster!"
Chicken Card: "Where he met a chicken ... he named it Carl!"
And so on ... it gets crazier and crazier!!!! Guaranteed fun for middle school students!!!!
on June 23, 2012
Storytelling made fun. I think this idea of the picture cards is great. There are several ways to play this game. The cards are double sided and you can play by building your own story with a set of 6 cards or by sharing a story together. For example everyone takes 4 cards and puts them in a pile in front of the and I start off my story with the first card from my pile and the next person must continue my story with whatever card is first in their pile. It is fun because the kids are not competing against one another and because some really funny and silly stories can be made with the pictures on the cards. It is also great for kids to learn how to express themselves and speak in front of others. Sometimes at bedtime instead of reading a book to my children I let them pick out ten cards and I make up a story for them. And the great thing about these picture cards is that your story can be in any language. At bedtime I sometimes make up a story with the cards in Spanish because my youngest child does not speak English yet. I would highly recommend Tell Tale.