5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get my daughter interested in learning words!
We have the original spot it and spot it jr. When I saw this game, I immediately purchased it. My 4.5 year old daughter has been reluctant to learn how to start sounding out words. This has made it into a fun game for us! We don't play it in the usual manner of spot it but have adjusted it.

When we first started it, I would tell her this is the word can you...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK
Very hard game to play, esp. if your kid is just learning to read. It's not as fun as the original spot it game, and doesn't really teach the kid how to read.
Published 5 months ago by B. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get my daughter interested in learning words!, May 18, 2013
Amazon Customer (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)

When we first started it, I would tell her this is the word can you find the pic that goes with it. She would sound it out and be very happy when she would get it. After she got better on that I would tell her which card had the word and which card had the pic. Now she is getting to the point where she can play it without needing to always be told which card has the word on it, some she recognizes, some she identifies based on pattern and other times sounding them all out.

If you have never played any of the spot it games, do not buy this first. Get the original version first, have your child love that one before starting on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
I have 3 decks of this, as well as 3 decks of the original Spot It game. I use them for teaching ESL and the students love it! I go over the vocabulary first...word by word. We practice pronunciation, the students write the words beside the picture on a handout I have given them. Then we go over the rules of playing. They love it! There is lots of laughter and learning at the same time. One complaint I do have is the Spot It Jr. Animals only has 31 cards in the deck, whereas these others have 55. 31 cards isn't enough. The price is a few dollars less, but it's pitiful to get chintzy and limit the cards! The game moves very quickly already, so with less cards there just aren't enough. Great product, but the Jr. deck is a dumb idea. Very dumb.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Game for ESL Kids, March 17, 2014
Myra "Ignolopi" (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
Getting Spot it! Basic English is the best move I've made while teaching English in Japan. Not only is Spot It a fun game to play with your friends (which I did, believe me), but it makes one of the best ways to get ESL kids to learn vocabulary, read English words, and speak English.

The Spot It instructions come with 3 mini party games with very easy-to-understand instructions. (If you grab the Spot It game with the hand, those instructions give you 2 more games.) Of course you, or better yet the kids, can come up with more games to play.

Basic game-play involves matching the item on both cards. The Basic English version is the most difficult because it involves matching not just the same visual shape, but sometimes you must match a word with a picture.

Why I absolutely love this for ESL:
1. It's a fun game and the kids all like it.
2. If I find a match first, I can use phrases such as 'same picture/word' or 'this one is a picture, this one is the word'.
3. It forces kids who don't know how to read or who have trouble reading to actually learn to recognize words (and I make them ask me 'what's this' if they want me to read the word for them).
4. For kids who really really can't read, often the word is the same color as the object, so if they're clever enough to figure that out, the kids who can't read can beat the kids who can, which is funny. (Because matching colors is faster than reading words, but the kids who can read will try to read the word first.)
5. The vocabulary is pretty basic but great. e.g. moon, sun, rain, fish, doll, girl, boy, kite, cow, horse, house (they always mix those two words up).

While there are several versions of Spot It and I own almost all of them, the Basic English version is the best for ESL. I would very much like more versions of the game like this -- and I would buy them all. Really.
The tin makes for easy storage and something the kids can roll across the table, and the cards have proven resilient to frequent play. I thought for sure the kids would bend them, but thanks to the way the game is played, I've had no problems.

If you are teaching ESL to kids (~4-13 years old), I highly recommend Spot It! Basic English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, February 17, 2013
R. W. Henderson (Sebring, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
This was a gift for our grandson. He is autistic but is learning well. This is one of the things his mother uses to help him to communicate better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game Night, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
The Spot it games are some of our favorites on our Wednesday night game night with our granddaughter..we all enjoy playing. Now that she is reading we bought the English one to add to the others that we love to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot It Basic English, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
Great version for the first and second graders. This version does not have pictures that young children do not have a ready name for so it is perfect for them. Love the different versions of play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family fun, December 26, 2013
Linda Weaver (Tarzana, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
Fun game for entire family and helpful for new readers. We enjoy all the Spot It games. Why does this site require such a long review?

5.0 out of 5 stars fun game!, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
the game was a hit with the birthday boy! He is reading already so it's a fun game to play with his older sister.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Simple Is So Entertaining! Great Travel Game, August 28, 2014
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
Spot It! Words is a twist on the classic picture matching game. Game play is simple and very entertaining!

In a world of electronic toys and the iPad, it is difficult, but required, to expose your child to physical books, board games, cards, etc. - toys that will place them in social situations and enable human interaction and communication. Spot It! is a fast paced game that builds a few skills - observation, speed of thought, ability to communicate and negotiate.

In the classic Spot It! the game-play required that you match pictures. Spot It! Words takes it to the next level by adding words to the mix. You can win a play by either matching two pictures, two words or a word to a picture. Every card has atleast one item common with every other card. There are multiple ways to play and the instructions list a few options - you can also create your own variation to keep the game-play interesting; for e.g., It does not matter who matches the picture/word on the card, the winner is the person who can create a sentence (or rhyming word, etc.) with the word.

The game has 55 cards, can have 2-8 players and is suggested for ages 6+. We do play with 4-5 year olds and it enables word/pattern recognition.

Recommended!

Pros:
* Fast paced game keeps kids entertained
* Builds skills - observation, speed of thought, ability to communicate and negotiate
* Multiple game-play options, including ability to incorporate your variations
* Good price point
* Well constructed cards
* Durable storage tin protects cards during travel

Cons:
* None

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for teaching ESL, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Spot It! Basic English (Toy)
After having great success with the original Spot It set in my ESL classroom, I purchased a few other versions. They are totally indispensable to my collection of games! Spot It Basic English is really excellent for my beginning students, as they are able to connect simple words with images. This game never fails to engage my students and works wonderfully whether they are a pair or a whole table (up to 6 or so). One of my favorite aspects of these games is that explaining the game takes under 10 seconds and they are ready to play!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›