Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 18, 2013
We have the original spot it and spot it jr. When I saw this game, I immediately purchased it. My 4.5 year old daughter has been reluctant to learn how to start sounding out words. This has made it into a fun game for us! We don't play it in the usual manner of spot it but have adjusted it.

When we first started it, I would tell her this is the word can you find the pic that goes with it. She would sound it out and be very happy when she would get it. After she got better on that I would tell her which card had the word and which card had the pic. Now she is getting to the point where she can play it without needing to always be told which card has the word on it, some she recognizes, some she identifies based on pattern and other times sounding them all out.

If you have never played any of the spot it games, do not buy this first. Get the original version first, have your child love that one before starting on this one.
on May 15, 2013
I have 3 decks of this, as well as 3 decks of the original Spot It game. I use them for teaching ESL and the students love it! I go over the vocabulary first...word by word. We practice pronunciation, the students write the words beside the picture on a handout I have given them. Then we go over the rules of playing. They love it! There is lots of laughter and learning at the same time. One complaint I do have is the Spot It Jr. Animals only has 31 cards in the deck, whereas these others have 55. 31 cards isn't enough. The price is a few dollars less, but it's pitiful to get chintzy and limit the cards! The game moves very quickly already, so with less cards there just aren't enough. Great product, but the Jr. deck is a dumb idea. Very dumb.
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2014
Getting Spot it! Basic English is the best move I've made while teaching English in Japan. Not only is Spot It a fun game to play with your friends (which I did, believe me), but it makes one of the best ways to get ESL kids to learn vocabulary, read English words, and speak English.

The Spot It instructions come with 3 mini party games with very easy-to-understand instructions. (If you grab the Spot It game with the hand, those instructions give you 2 more games.) Of course you, or better yet the kids, can come up with more games to play.

Basic game-play involves matching the item on both cards. The Basic English version is the most difficult because it involves matching not just the same visual shape, but sometimes you must match a word with a picture.

Why I absolutely love this for ESL:
1. It's a fun game and the kids all like it.
2. If I find a match first, I can use phrases such as 'same picture/word' or 'this one is a picture, this one is the word'.
3. It forces kids who don't know how to read or who have trouble reading to actually learn to recognize words (and I make them ask me 'what's this' if they want me to read the word for them).
4. For kids who really really can't read, often the word is the same color as the object, so if they're clever enough to figure that out, the kids who can't read can beat the kids who can, which is funny. (Because matching colors is faster than reading words, but the kids who can read will try to read the word first.)
5. The vocabulary is pretty basic but great. e.g. moon, sun, rain, fish, doll, girl, boy, kite, cow, horse, house (they always mix those two words up).

While there are several versions of Spot It and I own almost all of them, the Basic English version is the best for ESL. I would very much like more versions of the game like this -- and I would buy them all. Really.
The tin makes for easy storage and something the kids can roll across the table, and the cards have proven resilient to frequent play. I thought for sure the kids would bend them, but thanks to the way the game is played, I've had no problems.

If you are teaching ESL to kids (~4-13 years old), I highly recommend Spot It! Basic English.
on December 28, 2012
The Spot it games are some of our favorites on our Wednesday night game night with our granddaughter..we all enjoy playing. Now that she is reading we bought the English one to add to the others that we love to play.
on February 17, 2013
This was a gift for our grandson. He is autistic but is learning well. This is one of the things his mother uses to help him to communicate better.
on December 23, 2014
This is, at it's heart, a very simple game. The container has a deck of cards, each with a variety of pictures and words on them. You make matches: word to word, picture to picture, or word to picture. What makes this game unique is that there is only one picture and/or word that match on any two cards.

These cards contain a variety of easy words like fish, kite, coat, banana, toy, plane, etc. Most of the pictures are very clear, although the picture of the coat looks like a sub sandwich if you catch it at the wrong angle.

I bought this to use as a relatively easy game to explain and use in a beginning adult ESL class. Of course, my five year old got to it first, so we had to try it out. I didn't really play by the rules with my child. I just asked her to find the pictures and/or words that matched. She really enjoyed it.

When I played it with my students, they were hesitant at first. However, once they grasped the concept, it became quite the enthusiastic game. Even students who were generally reserved in class got very competitive.
on September 3, 2013
Great version for the first and second graders. This version does not have pictures that young children do not have a ready name for so it is perfect for them. Love the different versions of play.
on January 17, 2016
This is a fun game for children. They are better at it than I am and it teaches them a lot. My four and six year old grandkids love it and I know they are learning while they play. I was surprised that it was so small, but that turned out to be a plus because it doesn't take up much room in the game cupboard and the size is perfect when playing the game. Great fun game and I will buy other Spot It games for them.
on June 29, 2014
We are a homeschooling family, so we are always on the look out for games that are educational and this fits the bill!
This Spot It! uses words AND pictures.
Spot It! Can be played more than one way, but the basic idea is to be the first to find a picture on your card that is the same on the working card. With this version you match pictures with pictures, words for words OR a picture with a matching word. So you may have a picture of a bird that matches the WORD bird.
We love this for the whole family. All ages can play together and it's evenly matched.
We love that it incorporates reading and its also a quick game.
The Parker's HIGHLY recommend this game.
on November 10, 2015
My son learns best through puzzles and games. Rote memorization and worksheets just don't work for him. These Spot It! card sets have gotten him more excited about learning, and they're really fun too - even for us adults. :)