Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 3, 2011
I evaluated several system's instructions and prices on line before making this purchase. This one seems to work well with my 2002 Jeep Wrangler, although I do have to use a 2x6x18 in front of the seat. Without the board the unit can push on the seat release and push it back instead of pushing on the brake. For my first trip (of 2400 miles RT) I was in a hurry and just ran the break-away cable through the driver window, which worked fine, but added a step installing and removing. Still it is in and set up, or out in less than five minutes once you get the hang of it. Electric draw in the standby-ready mode is minimal, and is small even when operating (electric drive - not a compressor.) The 3 year old Jeep battery had plenty of starting power left even when the unit had been left on for three days of driving (and nights in park) without any attention; but I recommend starting the toad and resetting the Patriot after an overnight to be on the safe side. I think the unit has a small battery inside which will activate on brake-away, if there is no other power.
The in-cab wireless unit provided comfort that the unit was on and available; and the manual lever even helped stop the 32 foot class A when I had a small brake issue on the coach. (Moving the control lever before or after improper mounting may not work because the bracket is in the way. A quick call to Blue Ox tech support set me straight. They are great to work with; I also called for help with my base-plate installation.)
Amazon PRIME paid for itself with the shipping for Patriot and Base-plate; AND I got them both next day. (A BIG help, as adding a toad was a last minute decision.)
A braking system is a significant purchase; spend some time doing your homework to match the system to your coach and toad. This one has worked well for me and with a little time to re-route wiring and find the right seat location, it will be even better.

Update:It was easy to fish the break-away cable through the firewall making connection a snap. I also added a small LED in the brake light wire below the door frame (when I installed the tow-wiring diode). This makes it easy to jog the system at install, without having to keep checking the back of the vehicle for lights on-lights off. Still love this unit, now only 90 second for in or out.
on July 29, 2011
We decided to order the Patriot breaking system (Blue OX) for our tow car behind our class A via Amazon because it was $300 cheaper than buying from our dealer. Our concern was could we handle any installation. The product is very easy to install and the wireless aspect is as simple as mounting a gps on your dash. The local RV dealer handled the disconnect wiring for $50 and wired the battery charge from the rv to the Honda CRV battery for $100. So far it has been a happy experience. The product works very well and I can tell the difference in the amount of push I feel when breaking. A real safety feature that is a must.
on February 17, 2015
We purchased a Blue Ox Patriot braking system to tow our 2010 Escape behind our motorhome. Our trip was from Drayton Valley, Alberta to Washington, D.C. Everything was working fine for 4 days - bias was set properly, the system worked good with no problems. After having travelled all morning & part of the afternoon on the 5th day on highways through South Dakota & Illinois & having braked perhaps a hundred times along route, we went to turn into a rest stop when the system seized & the Escape brakes locked up destroying 4 tires. We were lucky to have gotten into the exit without an accident or incident other than the tires. We have been working through the installer who has been trying to get a response from Blue Ox since last September 2014 - it is now February 2015 & there has been no response. The installer had exchanged the unit for a new one so that Blue Ox could examine the one that locked up...we have since returned the new unit for a refund - I would not attempt to use the Patriot system again as there is no saying that the sytem may be faulty, Blue Ox is a poor corporate partner in that they have not responded to our installer or to us in regards to some reimbursement for the tires that were destroyed. For this reason I would NOT recommend this product.
on December 1, 2013
This is an excellent product for easily applying the brakes to your toad vehicle. The receiver transmitter plugs into the cigarette lighter and notifying you when the brakes are being applied. I have used this product several times on my Ford Edge and found it works best with a 3/8" piece of plywood under it to even out the contours of the floor.
on December 20, 2013
Used this product to pull a CRV to southern Texas from Ontario & found it to do everything it was supposed to. The controller on the dash was great. We knew at all times what the Patriot was doing. It told us when we had a low battery. I also was able to decrease the sensitivity as was needed from the cab, Great product, easy to install & use.
on May 25, 2015
Used on a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited with Blue OX tow bar. Drove from Dallas to Grand Canyon and back through Palo Duro with no issues.
Sensitivity has to be adjusted from default when driving in mountains. Experience is the clue to be successful with this unit.
Did not need any wood for support. Worked out of box with my Jeep. Easy install including break away switch. Successful brake setup first time every time. Had to run setup twice once when I forgot to plug in RF unit in RV. Unit gave short stroke as symptom, no big deal.
Used a supplemental battery unit for power instead of jeep battery. Never had to charge for over two weeks. Called Blue Ox customer support as a response test and they met my expectations. Thanks Blue OX for fast response. Would recommend.
on January 19, 2015
Bought this system for a trip from Edmonton,Alberta to the east coast and then back to Yuma Az for the winter.Got as far as Nashville Tennessee when the brake control locked the brakes on my Equinox while driving on the interstate at 65 mph. By the time I got my motorhome stopped it had completely ruined my tires on my car not to mention the accident that it could easily have caused.Have talked to others in the RV park who have had similar problems.Would definately not recommend this unit.
on June 11, 2015
This works absolutely perfectly.We use it to tow our Jeep behind our RV and the braking system is easy to put in and calibrate and functions very well. Highly recommend.
on December 26, 2014
does the job
on April 6, 2014
It is easy to use and it works.
You need to drop the required amount of words.I don't mind rating the product but after this little right up that is all your are getting unless you summit your credit card and agree to pay NC taxes. I get at least minimum wage. Thanks for your business!
Seriously, I paid you!
0Comment0 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse