4.0 out of 5 stars BLUE RAGE- A HISTORICAL JOURNEY
Published on August 13, 2005 by T. Jenkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Book is "meh"
I bought this book hoping for insight into the gang mentality and how a person can break free of the life and turn his life around.
Published 2 months ago by Robin Norwich

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars BLUE RAGE- A HISTORICAL JOURNEY, August 13, 2005
T. Jenkins "Serious" (West of Medical Center, South of Highland) - See all my reviews
Tookie Williams seeks to set the record straight as to the origins of the Crips and the true founders of the gang. Williams spends a considerable amount of time detailing the fictional accounts of the gang which have emerged over the years. Some of which have been offered up to improve the credibility or support some project the authors of such stories were involved with. As should be expected of a man in his position, the stories are muted in concern to the violence committed by Tookie himself and he takes it to the limit declaring he had a strong dislike of guns and refused to have them around him. His telling of his relationship with Curtis Morrow 'Mr. Buddha' was excellent and at times strangely touching. Much remains to be said of the legacy Mr. Williams will foster out of his professed redemption, but this is a much better telling than any of the previous works offered on the formation of the crips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets get a few things straight...., December 18, 2005
Many people have a tendency to speak about things that they have no prior info about the subject. I see that is the case here. here are the facts.

-For over 25 years, even to is death, Tookie denies killing those 4 people.

-Tookie has apologiezed for creating the crips.

-He has tried to undo what he helped create by writing books.

[Why he should have been saved]

Tookie didn't want clemecy because he thought it was a better punishment for him. He wanted it so he couls continue his work. I am a "At-Risk" teenager, and I personally would listen to the creator of the crips about gangs, rather than listen to some white guy in a tie. Even if he did do the crimes that he was charged with, who are we to say he deserves to die? Last time I checked, someone named God makes those decisions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book is "meh", August 22, 2014
This review is from: Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir (Paperback)
Having read it, I understand why his appeals for clemency were denied. He showed no remorse for the crimes he committed, in fact, admitted to very little criminal activity at all, besides fighting with other gangsters and jacking up drug dealers.
I almost tossed this book in the trash when he stated in chapter 28 that fellow prisoner George Jackson was "murdered by a prison snipers bullet" and completely left out the fact Jackson murdered six people (3 of them guards) and wounded 3 others in an escape attempt from the prison.
This book was self serving and showed little redemption in my opinion.
Remorse stems from a desire to be a better person and to stop hurting yourself and those around you. Regret is merely from the consequences of misdeeds. I didn't perceive any remorse, I did, however, sense his regret at being held accountable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rest in Peace Stanley Tookie Williams, December 14, 2005
I went onto this review page hoping to read some genuine feedback about the book, not read personal judgements and opinions regarding the author.

The law also states that people who witness a murder are equally responsible for the person who actually committed the crime. So those of you that have hate in your heart and wish death on Tookie Williams, better be prepared to answer for your actions/involvement as well.

God has not given us authority to pass judgement on anyone. And there is no sin greater than the next, be it murder, lying , stealing, adultery....whatever. When you get to the pearly gates, God is not going to say...oh you just cheated on your wife no big deal...or you only told a little white lie. No each one of us will be judged the same. And more than our sins He will judge our hearts intent, and what we did with our time here on earth.

By the looks of these "reviews", many of you are simply wasting your time on earth judging other people, and wishing death on another human being. I bet none of you can name one thing that you've done personally to make a difference in our society. Gimme a break! If there was no such thing as redemption we wouldn't be here as a human race. We are redeemed each day we wake up and get another chance at life.

Stanley Tookie Williams died with integrity and at peace. He refused a special meal. He declined final words. And He maintained his innocence to his last breath as he should have. He knows and God knows what his involvement was, if any in those crimes for. And I really feel sorry for the individuals that orchestrated the execution, from the person that inserted the first needle, to the witnesses in the room...but especially Arnold....They all have Tookie's blood on their hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight and education you won't find in any school, February 25, 2006
Angel Higuera (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is seperated into two sections. The first half being, Blue Rage and the second, Black redemption. Their's different titled chapters compiled into each section. The first half of the book is about Stan's life from being a child in Lousiana until he gets arrested in South Central Los Angeles in 1979 for the four murders he was convicted of commiting. The second half is about his educational and spiritual transition in prison along with certain events and situations.

Stanley's views are extremly intresting and worth thinking about with an open mind. Things like his views about what "dys-education" is, religeon, brotherhood, spirituality, drugs, cultural education and it's importance.

His thoughts about his friend's Buddah, Evil and Treach are sad, and even uplifting at times. His educational studies on death row with Treach and Evil along with his exercising disiplines are very thought provoking also.

We outside of prison seem to be getting a school-based education for the sake of financial success. Stan can't do that. His transition is based on studies we need to perform here in our daily lives along with our children.

This book is not your typical urban-entertainment about being a gangster or a rap song compiled into book-form. This is a very articulated insight into the cycle of poverty, racism, violence, redemption, edification, transition and enlightenment.

A must read for everyone.

Rest in peace Stan. I miss you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Rage Black Redemption, April 10, 2009
We've all seen that picture of Tookie Williams from back in the day. Thick afro, cut biceps, form fitting blue collar shirt. True, this man started the Crips, one of LA most notorious street gangs, and may have been responsible for the death of at least four people, but when you see that picture, you can't but help thinking, "What a strong black man." Besides the photo, he is now survived by Blue Rage, Black Redemption, his memoir on his life as a reformed LA gangster.

The book starts with young Stanley Williams and his mother on the greyhound bus to California from New Orleans. The exodus would expose the youngster to the gang banging culture of the west coast as Williams spares none of his tales as a gun toting lord. He replays vivid drive by scenes in South Central, the untimely deaths of his homies, and his whacked out experiences on PCP. Blue Rage, Black Redemption is an ultimate conversion story that marks Williams' transformation from a felon to one of most salient anti-gang activists of our time.

On death row from 1981 to his execution in 2005, William didn't go into "F-it" mode. Instead, he turned his life around and was nominated for a Nobel Prize.

Blue Rage, Black Redemption flows in the same vein as Manchild In The Promised Land and the Autobiography of Malcolm X. The book is Generation X's eye opening oeuvre. Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Snoop Dogg, Jesse Jackson, Jamie Foxx have been championing Williams' cause since Williams began his vital work in prison. Although Williams' speeches, children's books, and activist work ultimately did not slake an unmerciful justice system determined to carry out a sentence, Blue Rage, Black Redemption immortalizes Williams among our great black martyrs. It includes him in a Mt. Rushmore in Black heaven with Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Tupac, that has added another head.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift❗❗❗❗, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir (Paperback)
It was a gift for my son. He enjoyed and completed reading in three days. It was received as advised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 23, 2014
The book took a great path in building the readers interest in the story. Each chapter made me anxious to read the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Agenda Free Opinion of the Book (not the man), January 15, 2014
This review is from: Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir (Paperback)
Well I bought it because I thought it would be interesting, and I read it because I was really bored. Prior to reading this book, I knew next to nothing about Stanley "Tookie" Williams, beyond what I read on the Wikipedia page that lead me to the book in the first place. Overall the book is an interesting read. I never felt bored whilst reading it, and I was always compelled to continue reading the book up until the end. There are, in my opinion, a few problems with it. One is the writing style isn't particularly compelling, not bad, and it is certainly competent, it just doesn't demonstrate the prowess I've seen in some other writers. With that said I also feel the need to mention that Mr. Tookie does something he himself bemoans in that he will occasionally use unnecessarily sesquipedalian or recondite verbage seemingly at random (see what I did there?). Occasionally the words, which are occasionally in foreign languages such as Latin or Swahili, will even have their more common meaning or a translation immediately following. Sometimes this does serve a purpose, but more often than not it seems unnecessary.

As for the actual story, it is interesting. Pacing at time seems like it may have been able to have been done better, and often times many characters are mentioned as if they had always been there with little to no background information or time spent identifying their significance to the reader. It can be quite jarring. It is the story of the foundation of the Crips, but it does focus more on the personal life of Mr. Williams than the significantly more famous gang that he founded. I must say that I personally was disappointed by this. There is very little on the co-founder of the Crips, beyond the seminal moment of the gang and his death. It also completely ignores the formation of the Bloods, the rival gang to the Crips, and only mentions them in passing when referring to members of the gang whom he met while in prison.

Overall I say it was definitely worth the read. As evidenced by the overwhelming number of very passionate defenses and condemnations in the reviews section, Mr. Williams definitely led an interesting and controversial life. I will admit I had to take the entire story with a grain of salt. I had a hard time setting my prejudices aside, while at the same time being aware that this is an autobiography penned by a man who was convicted of, and eventually executed for, murder; also directly responsible for the rise of one of the biggest gangs in the world and indirectly responsible for the suffering that caused (a fact for which he was admittedly remorseful). While it did at times feel like a confession, it could also feel like an excuse. This for me was legitimately concerning, not so much because I cared for the case, but because I was reading a non-fiction title and wanted as close to the truth as possible.

To conclude I recommend people read this autobiography. Stanley Williams is, for better or for worse, one of the most influential people in American history. His story sheds light on to many aspects of American culture and history that many of us may not have been exposed to, and it definitely warrants a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, great life story., October 22, 2013
This review is from: Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir (Paperback)
Love this book Tookie is someone all our children should have to read and learn about. A good man who died for a great cause.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir
Blue Rage, Black Redemption: A Memoir by Stanley Tookie Williams (Paperback - November 13, 2007)
$17.00 $13.12