5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and versatile!
Published on April 11, 2012 by Christopher J Buchan

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, Function needs a lot of improvement
Published 21 months ago by jessgnaw

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and versatile!, April 11, 2012
Christopher J Buchan (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Blue Studio Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this from Brookstone in January 2012. I wanted to have something that I could use as a speaker in the kitchen while streaming Star Trek: TNG (yes, I'm a nerd, and sorry ladies, I'm married) on netflix through my iPad without having a mess of wires running all over the counter. This unit has met this need without fail. There is no audio lag while streaming video from the Bluetooth connection, which is so important when Picard "Makes it so".

In all seriousness, the sound is surprisingly good coming from a small unit and I would compare it to the Bose Sound Dock at half the cost. It faithfully reproduces both highs and lows, providing good, clear bass and room filling sound. When using this I can hear it all over the house (2 levels, 1,400 + sq. ft.).

Other useful information:

The unit is well built, looks and feels solid and expensive. There are useful bass and treble controls on the back which actually do create a noticeable difference in sound when you play with them, they're not just there for show. The capacitive touch volume controls located on the top of the unit are a nice high end addition and also allow me not worry about breaking a pressure sensitive button.

I find a significant bonus feature to be the audio output jack located in the back which allows me to connect the unit to my main stereo system so I can now run music wirelessly to my Bose Acoustimass. There is also an audio input jack for those of you out there that have not upgraded to a Bluetooth capable audio device and are looking for a (relatively) inexpensive, yet incredible sounding speaker to use around the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite decent but non-mobile, April 4, 2013
Have been trying lots of bluetooth speakers lately - bought the Jawbone Jambox, Logitech UE mobile boombox, Soundfreaq Soundkick and the smaller Big Blue Live. The Big Blue Studio is actually a decent bluetooth speaker if you don't need to move it around much. It doesn't have a built in battery, and the heft (6+lbs!) makes it essentially a home speaker. Some observations:

PROS:

1. Very good sound for $149 - it can get pretty loud with 3 speakers total (2.5"x2 + 3" woofer)
2. Individual bass+treble adjustment, why don't they put this in all speakers!
3. Good bass reproduction - impressive for $149!
4. Good high frequency reproduction if you turn up the treble
5. Excellent instrumental sound - piano sounds amazing on this speaker. If you listen to lots of solo piano, this is the perfect speaker for you
6. Stable and clean sound when you turn it up, due to solid construction and heft
7. Easy pairing
8. Excellent construction - solid frame and nice shiny outer frame

CONS:

1. No built in battery - forget using it away from outlet
2. Bulky AC adapter
3. Need more treble response - need to turn treble up all the way to get good sound
4. Speaker sounds a bit constrained when volume is turned up high
5. Need a bit more deep bass - turning up the bass knob will only increase mid bass
6. Hefty speaker, not easy to move around

Overall this is a very good effort from Brookstone, If you look around, you might be able to get it for under 100. At that price, the sound is absolutely unbeatable!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great, Function needs a lot of improvement, March 26, 2013
I think the sound quality is great - I love that it has bass and treble switches on the back of the unit to adjust the sound quality. I used it in my living room and the sound fills quite nicely for the price of this unit. I actually like the exterior design of this, more than the Jawbone Jambox or Bose Soundlink. I would absolutely keep this, except the functions leave much for be desired:

1. The insanely loud series of beeps when you connect/disconnect a device or turn on for pairing, is crazy. I was actually afraid my neighbors would call the fire department thinking it was a fire alarm. I paired this with my macbook so I can fun the sound off netflix/pandora/spotify from my computer. After I paid a device, if I then turn off my computer or "don't use for audio" to disconnect bluetooth audio, this tries to reconnect immediately and the beeping continues on and on hoping to pair with something. When I thought the beeping was over, it would randomly go off and I finally had to unplug it. Seriously, this beeping was really crazy loud.

2. No remote. Seriously, it's 2013. We've had remote for things for quite a while now. I can't lower the sound so the beeping isn't so loud, or just turn it off. The sound distortion can get a bit dicey with a macbook which has it's own sound controls, although I was told by Brookstone staff that using an ipad/ipod volume controls would sync with this unit so there are not two sound controls. Well, this is mainly for my MacBook and I would prefer to be able to change the sound level on the speaker unit from across the room, or turn it off at night.

3. No rechargeable battery for taking it on the go. I knew this going in, but for $150, that's to be expected.

I really wanted to love this because I do like the sound quality, but at this point, I'm probably going to just pony the extra $100-$150 for a Jawbone big Jambox or the Bose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound!, December 1, 2012
Who needs all of the wires, a receiver, etc in this digital age? When I bought an antique Asian cabinet for the area where my stereo equipment previously resided, I decided that downloading all of my favorite tunes to my iPhone or iPad and then playing them through the Big Blue was a better idea, and it is! Plus it's portable -- take Big Blue anywhere there's an outlet, and you have great music!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor engineering, March 26, 2014
This product sounds only ok. My biggest issue is that whenever it connects or disconnects it plays 3 very loud tones. The tones are at the volumes at you have left the thing set at. It will be kind of frighten your first time. Then annoying after that. It's extremely annoying considering 90% of all products you will be streaming to it will have an indicator to let you know it is connected making the tomes worthless.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, it does a nice job, March 20, 2013
For household use,I chose this over the Bose Mobile Bluetooth II speaker which was portable but double the price and had a rechargeable battery but no direct AC usage only. Although the Bose had a better sound, I did not think it was worth twice the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars meh, February 26, 2013
It just doesn't work well. It doesn't turn on easily (sometimes works well, other days no), doesn't turn off easily (again, sometimes yes and other times no), my iPad and iPhone occasionally have problems connecting, the sound quality is less than stellar (helps with the iPad to adjust the equalizer to a flat setting). Just not impressed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, November 14, 2012
Great speaker for my room, it works really well with blue tooth and has nice sound for a small speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and sound is excellent!, March 24, 2013
We like this product. We had a different type of product before that plugged into our Iphone4 but when we got the IPhone5 the earplug was located on the bottom making the older product harder to connect. So we bought this as it was wireless.
Simple to use it works great and sounds great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Connects well, December 29, 2013
This connects extremely easily. I had problems with the one before connecting well. This connects on the first attempt which is really nice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›