Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on March 1, 2010
Best of luck, good luck too.
P Moss has bestowed a complex, fascinating, and not always apparent view of Sin City that is way overdue. P Moss is a gambler, social analyst, and tavern owner of the Double Down Saloon (DDS boasts of "bringing a much needed sophistication to Las Vegas. Interplanetary abstract. Urban decay. The Anti-Vegas... made for the lunatic fringe") and delivers a gem of a ride in his first published book. Moss writes with a breezy and entertaining style in recounting very human stories about the curious, remarkable, and shadowy lives of the always interesting Vegas locals and visitors. All the captivating and absorbing details of the lives of hard-core gamblers, criminals, show girls, and other quirky characters are on display in this very amusing and fun read.

As a Las Vegas resident and minister I thoroughly enjoyed this work: at times I roared with laughter and other times felt pity for the people who got trapped by powerful things and allurements.

This is a great book for the Las Vegas tourist and wonderful right-on-target volume for the Vegas local. Makes a delightful read on a plane, while on the beach, or at the buffet table.
The Necessary Existence of God: The Proof of Christianity Through Presuppositional Apologetics
on August 20, 2015
P Moss (no given first name) is a writer, gambler, bar owner and 20 year resident of Las Vegas. In Blue Vegas he presents 17 short (4-7 page) stories about the underside of the city. The stories range from merely unfortunate (a husband and wife couple gets arrested after she pretends to be a prostitute and picks him up at a bar) to the sad and despairing (down on their luck people who sink even lower) and even to the bizarre. I currently live in Las Vegas but avoid these kind of situations even though I know they exist. I rate the book at three stars because it really does not explore to any real degree the causes of such tragedies. At the same time the book is a quick read--literally about 1-2 hours--and will give anyone planning to come to "Sin City" a precautionary note.
on July 18, 2010
Another reviewer here pointed out that the LA Times describes this book as a collection of vignettes. I would actually call them introductions. Most of the stories felt like first chapters of longer stories and there were a few times I was actually disappointed that was all I got.

I actually bought this point on my Kindle first and started reading it when ever I had a second or two. The short vignette format worked well for this. Then I heard he was doing a signing at his bar, so I bought a regular copy for him to sign. I just hope that if we get another book out him, he actually writes a full story as I like the writing style and the atmosphere he applies to Vegas.
on March 11, 2010
P Moss is like many residents of Las Vegas; not a native of the city but one who embraces all that the city is wholeheartedly. This book neither romanticizes the glitz and glamour nor does it denounce the grit and seedy underbelly of such a city. Each story is succinct and to the point. The word choice is wonderfully descriptive and each story leaves you with a feeling of anticipation for the next one.

For anyone who has a fascination or love of Las Vegas this is a must read. Furthermore, for anyone who has ever enjoyed a night at the famed Double Down Saloon, owned by Mr. Moss, this book reads like many of the more interesting conversations you're likely to have with the fine patrons of this 'Happiest Place on Earth.'

This is a fantastic read and something I can happily cozy up to on these cold winter night in the northwest while imagining my next trip to Vegas and the Double Down Saloon.

mike b
on August 3, 2012
This is a great read by a fascinating guy. Can't wait for the next book to come out. Anybody that loves books containing vignettes will love to read this. Dark, odd and funny at times. You won't be disappointed.
on March 4, 2010
P Moss has given life to a number of sordid and earthy characters which comprise each of the short stories in Blue Vegas. The overall vibe of the collection seems a bit sad as many of the lives described are unfulfilled after life in a city which on the surface promises fantasy and stimulation but little more. There's a bounty of dark humor and a lot of surprising turns in plot. For certain, each story completely wraps you up in the character's thoughts and feelings with no strings left untied. While at times it's downright filthy, at others its sensational - Just like Las Vegas. I love this book and 100% recommend it for Vegas junkies.

James Alexander
on June 30, 2011
Great little stories, well written. Everyone knows there's a seamy side to Vegas, but the underbelly has never been expressed with so much insight as found in these stories. More!
on April 25, 2010
The LA Times describes this book as a collection of vignettes rather than stories, and that is quite true. Unfortunately, I found most of these "stories" pretty overwrought and superficial. If only the author would have taken the time to flesh them out a bit more! I swear to god, I was so sure I'd skipped a couple of pages of that "Frank Sinatra's Curse" story that I went to the sink, wet my fingers, and tried to rub two pages of critical narrative out of this thing. As a first attempt at a book, it's meh bordering on OK. But it smacks (to me, anyway) of the kind of flowery, shorthand angst and late-night drunken existentialism that's so popular among smart 18-year-old college guys who are majoring in English and minoring in Nihilistic Cool. (Hey, it could be worse: the author could have written this while in his 16-year-old "Ayn Rand is a GOD" stage! OK, that's conjecture. I have no idea if he went through that stage. But somehow I think that he, like many guys who are pushing 60 but still think they're 20, did.) Anybody who wants a really great collection of stories about Vegas would be advised to skip this and instead find a copy of "Literary Las Vegas" (out of print, but available used in lots of places)--another collection of stories that actually ring true and cool.
on January 10, 2014
Great insight, interesting characters and a glimpse of what really went on in a town created by the mob that would crush the dreams of many who would migrate there looking for a better life.
on January 12, 2013
I love reading stories about what people do in las vegas. Some of them are shocking and some are really funny. Good read!!