5.0 out of 5 stars Product vs Technology
Bottom line: meet my expectations for a wireless set of headphones. I would buy again. I did several hours of research before purchasing these.

Published on July 18, 2006 by G. Bay

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not great.
Published on August 2, 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Product vs Technology, July 18, 2006
This review is from: BlueAnt X5 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

My applications: listening to mp3s while working out using my Palm Tx (direct connection, i.e. without streaming device) and watching TV on my computer using BeyondTV (using streaming device which plugs into the audio-out mini jack to mediate the Bluetooth connection)

Pros:

- compact, light, stylish/sleek

- impressive audio quality for wireless device; probably as good as iPod ear buds, but by no means competition for high fidelity headphones

- once audio begins streaming, no flashing lights (like Motorola bluetooth headphones)

- no noticable audio lag (due to on the fly compression) when watching video. Yes it does exist, but you have to be trying to detect it. Only purists would probably take issue.

Cons:

- more of the Bluetooth technology then this product, but headset seems susceptible to obstructions (walls, thick clothes even)

- easy to use, but again, more of the technology of Blutooth then product, depending on what you are connecting headset to (streamer vs phone or Palm) can be a bit of a pain pairing when first learning to use. However learning curve is extremely short

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated review -- Product is good depending on what you want to use it for, October 14, 2006
First of all, I want to say up front that the packaging and presentation of this product is probably the best I have ever seen. The colors, the card right inside when you open it up giving their toll free help number, and even the plastic packaging which isn't the type that takes a half hour to open -- all of these are fantastic and I commend the company / team that put this all together.

However, my product is defective. The connector on the streamer works (sometimes) if I push it in hard, but if I don't then I ohly get partial sound. So, in contrast to the product development / packaging, their Quality Assurance needs to test these before they send them out.

It is a big hassle for me to repackage everything and send it back. I tried contacting their customer service number but it's not open on weekends, so I will try again on Monday and see what happens. If it's favorable I'll post an update, otherwise this review will stand at 5 stars for product packaging, but 1 star overall because all the packaging in the world doesn't matter if it doesn't work.

Update: Their consumer response team was less than helpful. Getting them to pay for return shipping to fix their DEFECTIVE product was like pulling teeth, and they may not even do that.

Update: I eventually received better customer support. The product that they sent out works fine, and I did not have to pay return shipping.

Revised product update:

I haven't used this for bluetooth phone conversations, and don't intend to. I am going to use it to stream music from my iPod, and for that it works better than expected. Pairing the devices works on the first try and I haven't had problems with static or being out of range. It's amazing that these very lightweight components can do what they do.

For what they do they are OK. They won't compete with good wireless headphones like the Sennheiser's. There is almost no bass, but at the same time there is no distortion either at higher volume settings, so for walking around with the iPod streaming in my backpack this is convenient -- no wires, as long as my quality of sound expectations aren't too high.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for early adopters, November 14, 2006
Buffalo Wings (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I spent a few hours researching bluetooth stereo headphones, and wanted to find a suitable product for five possible uses - taking calls from my Blackberry, listening to my iPod, watching movies on my iBook, chatting on Skype and playing SOCOM on my PSP.

The headset supports multiple pairing, which is essential, and the Blackberry recognized it right away. Sound output quality is good, a little weird when talking on the phone in stereo, and no-one has complained that I sound bad.

iPod integration is through the included streamer. Again, very good quality, and the lack of wires are a good selling point. Audiophiles will surely have a different opinion, but then how stupid do they look walking on the street with giant cans on their heads?

Listening to music on my iBook is fine, movies are a problem. The delay is unbearable, and makes it very frustrating to watch a DVD with the streamer. I couldn't successfully get the headset to work with the iBook on Bluetooth mode, it would pair but kept coming up with error messages. So that ruled out using the X5 microphone for Skype.

Finally, the PSP played through the headset, but the square button to talki in SOCOM didn't work. This is more likely a problem because of Sony, and something that the two should work on for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluetooth Headphones, May 28, 2007
UberZeiger (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I researched several possible headset/headphone devices to pair with my Samsung M620 Upstage Black Phone (Sprint) and my laptop. I have been really happy with the purchase so far.

HEADSET: The headset actually works better than any bluetooth headset I have owned. I can't be for sure that isn't partly due to the phone having a better bluetooth strength than previous phones I have owned, but I am thrilled with it. I can walk 15 feet away from the phone in line of sight with no loss of quality, and manageable quality loss when around the corner in another room. This is also the first bluetooth headset that has not elicited complaints from the people I am talking to on the phone.

HEADPHONES: Also great. The A2DP (or whatever it is) is an incredible quality difference over standard bluetooth connection. I use these headphones at work, on my bus ride home sometimes, and even when running. They have a great form factor - are rather comfortable, and I am quite surprised how well they stay on my head when I run. I haven't had any problems with them. I am not a total audiophile, and yes one of those noise canceling headsets has better sound quality, but as a wireless device, these are exceptional headsets.

OTHER

-Comfortable design

-Fold up for being able to toss in your bag and go

-Detachable boom so you don't look like a dork when you just want to listen to music and not talk on the phone

-Seemless transition from music to taking a phone call

-Volume controls on headset

-Excellent battery life (per charge)

-Comes with an adapter in case your computer or audio device doesn't have bluetooth built in (I haven't seen any other device come with this great adapter - saved me $30 because my laptop isn't bluetooth equipped and I would have had to buy a bluetooth usb stick to pair the headphones)

CONS:

-A little pricey

-Size is fixed, if you have a big melon - these babies won't fit

-Although there are volume controls on the headset, I haven't found a way to skip a song from the headset itself without tinkering with my cell phone. When running, I leave my phone in my pack and can't access it easily unless I stop, so I don't have the ability to skip a track without stopping. Technically though, I am not sure how they would figure out how to make a button from the headset know how to skip a song on my cell phone, and the software for my media player on my laptop, or if I used an ipod - too many different software commands, still a bummer though.

RECO: Great product, you will be happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than various 900MHz/IR Wireless Headphones I've tried!, June 30, 2006
I tried this headset with the audio streamer and WOW is all I can say.

CD quality music without any static! I bought this so that I could watch TV while my wife slept and it works great for that as well. I did need to buy an AC - USB power adapter (like Amazon part B000167V46) to keep it charged for TV watching.

Two thumbs up from this reviewer!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not great., August 2, 2007
I've had these headphones for 6 months now. They have served me well. The #1 best feature is that the battery is swappable between the headset and the puck--though the battery life is so good that I've rarely needed to do it. For mediocre performance, you are getting your money's worth. The size isn't adjustable and it's kinda uncomfortable on my ears. It doesn't fold up quite as compactly as the pictures would have you believe.

However, I have just put on a pair of Plantronics P590 headphones. Now I am no audiophile, and I never really had a problem with the sound quality on my BlueAnts, but believe me when I tell you the Plantronics sound way, WAY better and are more comfortable too. I am suddenly regretting my purchase of the BlueAnts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Streaming via Bluetooth is finally here, June 27, 2006
I had no problems with the Blueant X5 Headphones. They easily paired with the music streamer that came in the box, and the sound quality was as good as any wired headphones that I've used. I also successfully paired the X5's with my PDA. The previous reviewer probably tried to pair them with a PDA that did not have the A2DP profile. Without the A2DP profile, you will only ever obtain a mono sound and ofcourse they will sound way below par. I give the Blueant X5 the big thumbs up and highly recommend them to anyone wanting to wirelessly stream audio from any music or audio source with a 3.5mm output, or A2DP compatible device. Well done Blueant.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but..., October 19, 2006
N. Cumpstey (London, England) - See all my reviews
The headphones were easy to pair to the streamer. The only thing to mote is that the headphones must be switched off before you put them in pairing mode. Sound quality is great for listening to music, and skype seems to work fine with them. My only gripe is the delay in sound reaching my ears, which is long enough to make the headphones impractical for watching movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Wireless should be!, January 2, 2007
I did alot of rsearch looking for a comfortable wireless head set. Small in size and dependable!

Besides being compaitable with my cell phone and a removable mic. It has turned out to be an excellent product! I needed a device for the gym and wroking out. I run on the tread mill due to climate reasons here in Afghanistan. Even while hopping up and down, they stay snug to my head and have no issues with them falling off. The padding for the ears makes it very comrfortable for wear after long periods of time. Even during my cool down stretch I walk around the gym and still stay connected. You can go about 25 to 30 feet with connection. If you are farther then that they start to struggel. If there is a wall in your way more then 30 feet they will cut out. I tested it and I got a decent length away with a closed door and was impressed. I have had no issues with Blue Ant and recommend them strongly! They also have a web site you can go to for support. They are alot smaller then from what they look in the picture. There not huge head phone that over heat your ears during a run. There perfect for running or to do day to day working out. Very loud I might say as well! I can't hear the loud gym noise in the back round when I work out; and that helps me zone out! Ideal if you hate wires!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality, April 18, 2007
Firstly i want to comment on how much stuff you get in this package. you get two mini-usb to big head usb cords that are used to charge both the streamer and the headset itself. both of them charge to full power in an hour and a half. pairing them is easy, and connecting them via bluetooth is a breese. they fit comfortably around the ears, and are very easy to get use to. i am not a sound expert, and have never bought headphones that cost more than 20 dollars, but i just want to say that they are very good quality. the streamer appears large but is in fact very light and can easily fit into a pocket that is capable of carrying a 20 gb mp3 in it. the microphone is detachable and works as in the description and the sound quality is as good as your reception is. my friends had no trouble hearing me. the volume gets extremely high for wireless headphones, being recorded at a total of 92 dbs. great buy from a first time wireless headphone buyer.