on December 24, 2010
This is a great Bluetooth headset. I went through several before I found this one. Some absoultly would not stay in my ear regardless of the ear bud I tried. Some were not up to speed with my droid smart phone and while you could press the talk button and talk on the headset with good clarity, they did not have caller ID, voice answering, and voice dialing like the BlueAnt.

I ordered my first Blueant from Amazon and I didn't pat attentionthat it said Bulk Packkaging. When my BlueAnt arrived it was not in the oridinal maunufaactures packaging, but was stuffed in a very small ziplock bag. BlueAnt provides several different sizes of earbuds so you can pick the one that best suits your ear. BlueAnt also provides a cool little ditty bad to store your ear buds or Bluetooth when not in use.

With Bulk packaging, you get only one ear bud that may or not not fit your ear.you also do not get the nifty little ditty bag that BlueAnt provides with the Q2.

I returned my Q2 back to Amazon for a refund which they promptly took care of. I reordered the Q2 from amazon, but the next time I checked to see if I was getting a new one in the manufacture's original packaging. When the new BlueAnt Q2 arrived it was in the nice Blueant packaging and the different size ear buds and ditty bag were there.

Great bluetooth and it works great with my droid smart phone.....
on December 11, 2010
Pros:
+Excellent Speaker/Mic/Noise Cancelling Sound Quality
+Voice Controls!
+Caller ID Announce! (Using Phone's Contact Names)
+A2DP (Streams Music, Nav Directions, Skype Calls, PC Sounds, etc.)
+Voice Activation
+Upgradeable & Customizable
+Vlingo Integration (enables speech-to-text sms readout/sending, emails, news/weather/social media svcs, etc.)
+Works With Phone's Voice Commands/Google Navigation (via Vlingo)

Cons:
-Long Charging Time (3-4 Hours)
-A2DP Only Works With 1st Device It Connects To
-Too Easy to Misdial With MFB
-No Mute Buttion
-On/Off Switch Hard To Access While Worn
-A/C Charger Not As Nice As Older Ones (clip-on prong instead of previous fold-out)
-USB Cable Extremely Short

I have owned numerous bluetooth headsets over the years (Plantronics, Motorola, Samsung, Nokia, Generics as well as BlueAnt). I purchased the BlueAnt Q2 to use with a Motorola Droid X, and hoping to also use it on my PC for Skpye calls. although there are other devices that offer many similarities and strong competition to the Q2, My review makes a direct comparison to the Plantronics Voyager Pro+, because 1) it's in the same price range, 2) very similar in features, and 3) it's the only comparable one that I actually bought. Obviously, my review comparison is mostly due to #3, above, so if you are curious as to how it compares to other models, such as the Aliph Jawbone Icon, I can't help you there - although there are plenty of reviews and comparisons on the web.

After having bought the Plantronics Volyager Pro+ and using it for about a week (which replaced my 2-yr-old BA V1). I much prefer the Q2, although the Pro+ has a couple features that I really wish the Q2 also had. I was a little put off with the almost 4 hours it took to charge the Q2 (Pro+ charges in 60-90 mins) but after it was fully charged, I was immediately blown away by the strength and clarity of the speaker quality. Pairing was a snap and after pairing, it immediately uploaded my phone contacts. My all-time favorite feature is the Caller ID announce by contact name, which eliminates the need to pick up the phone to know who's calling. This feature, backed up by the ability to answer or ignore the call by spoken command, truly puts this headset at the top of the "hands-free" category. Voyager Pro+ only beeps, and does not offer voice controls. Whether driving or walking in crowds, no one has complained they can't hear me. At first, the Q2 would make my ear sore after about an hour or 2, forcing me to take it off several times during the day. However, after experimenting with the ample variety of earpieces included, I found one that fit me quite well and made it much more comfortable.

The Q2 can hold up to 2,000 contacts per connected device (can connect with 2 devices - each phone number counts as a contact (i.e., contact name "John" has home, work and mobile number = 3 contacts for Q2)). Next favorite is integration with Vligno application (android market) which enables text messages & emails to be read to you, speech-to-text sending of sms, emails, directions to Google Navigation, and other cool features like listen to news, weather, movie times, posting social media, google searches, and on and on... It's free and highly customizable, including different settings for standard use and InCar. The Pro+ offers a similar service called Vocalyst, which requires you call into the service. It is much more limited, cumbersome to use, and has tiered services subscriptions of 24.99/59.99 per year, or monthly at a higher cost.

The Q2 also works very well with my phone's Voice Commands Feature, and I can speak directions to the Google Navigation through the headset. I could not accomplish either with the Pro+ (I even contacted Plantronics re: spoken directions to Google Nav, and they confirmed it could not be done). Big plus for the Q2.

The Pro+ had an edge on the Q2 in the following areas:
The On/Off and volume buttons and very small and placed closely together. The Pro+ has larger buttons that are placed well apart from each other for easy access by feel. The Q2 has enough room to add a little spacing. I'm not sure why they felt compelled to condense things to much. Especially the on/off switch, that besides being tiny and flush with the frame, is placed behind the charging jack. They could have simply designed it with a little tab or bump for easier access.
No Mute feature. Pro+ has Mute Function
A2DP Streaming only works on the first device the Q2 connects to. This was very disappointing since when I want to do a Skype call, I have to disconnect the Q2 from my Droid X, then connect to PC, and repeat the process when I'm done on the PC to enable A2DP services on the phone. Also, the Q2 often does not automatically reconnect once the connection is lost. The Pro+ automatically reconnects, plus although it can handle streaming to two devices (one at a time, of course), and automatically does so when it receives a signal. As a result, I ended up having to keep the Pro+ for use on the PC and dedicate the Q2 only to the cell phone. This was very disappointing, considering the cost of each of these devices.
As mentioned before, the Q2 charges very slowly compared to the Pro+. Also, it gives about an hour's less talk time.
The Pro+ has a long mic boom that swivels, thus keeps the mic much closer to the mouth. Another favorite of mine with the Pro+ is the unibody design that wraps around the ear. I'm not very fond of the thin, removable earloop the Q2 has. the Pro+ is indeed much more comfortable to wear. Along those lines, the Q2 has a knack for attracting lint, which contrasts loudly with its black plastic screen. The velvet bag is rather useless as a protector. For the Pro+, Plantronics offers a sturdy leather holster with integrated clip (sold separately for about $10, but well worth it. Too bad the Q2 didn't fit in it).
The included USB cable allows you to either plug it in to the included A/C adapter, or directly into a USB port. However, as mentioned earlier, it's very short - practically useless. I'm using the charger cord from the Voyager.
A final disadvantage is the fact that once the Q2 is paired with 2 devices, an attempt to re-pair will require you to reset the device ad re-pair all over again. The Pro+ allows you to re-pair without needing a reset.

Both devices are very nice, perform well, and are similarly priced. I have pointed out the tradeoffs, but the but Plantronics' heavy subscription costs for their Vocalyst service, lack of caller ID announce and voice controls really pulled it far below the Q2, especially considering it's not as well-developed or as easy to use as the free Vlingo app that supplements the Q2. Overall, I am much happier with the Q2 for use with my mobile phone, mostly thanks to the Caller ID feature, voice controls and Vlingo. It would have been ideal for use with my PC as well, but the need to disconnect/reconnect every time I change from one device to the other is exremely unworkable. As mentioned, the Voyager Pro+ is also a lot more comfortable for wearing long periods at a time. such deficiencies are minor, and I look forward to seeing them added in future models of this awesome little device. Given they are practically the same price, the Q2 offers much better value for the money to me.

Since the Q2 is advertised as muliconnect, but it can't truly multiconnect via A2DP, I can't give it 5 stars. I think it rightfully deserved 4.5 stars but since that's not possible, I give it 4 stars.
on October 18, 2010
I can firmly state this headset has a much better microphone and speaker than my other headset, the Plantronics Discovery 975. I've asked people which headset they prefer me to talk with, and hands-down, it is this one. Additionally, I can state the sound for me from others is quite a bit better, too, with distortion happening on occasion only when under a strong wind, when the headset is too far from the phone, or when the battery is almost dead. Also, the voices sound more resonant and clearer (this may be from the larger speaker BlueAnt uses).

Advantages of the Plantronics include its lighter weight and smaller size, a greater effective Bluetooth distance, and its nifty charging cradle/case.

I use them with an HTC Touch Pro2 which uses Windows. The BlueAnt has additional features for people using an Android, iPhone or Blackberry phone, but with the excellent sound quality and noise canceling on this (I use it a lot in a noisy car at highway speed), I can't imagine ever using the Plantronics ever again. It is a "night and day" difference.

The integration with Windows phones is left to being rather basic, with the ability to download the phone book, use the commands on the phone, and handle streaming music content, but, at the current time, losing access to the otherwise integrated Bing 411 (yes, strangely) and and a few other features.

I had listened to the BlueAnt website's sample recordings of the Q2 sound versus another headset and thought it might have been touched up. I can tell you that this headset is as superior sounding, for both sides of the conversation, as you hear there.

If voice quality under all conditions is important to you in your cell phone calls, you owe it to yourself to try this.
on October 21, 2010
I own a Nokia E71. This bluetooth paired without a hitch. It did take a few resets to get the unit to work smoothly with the Update Phonebook option as well as to alleviate some static issues with incoming sound clarity but all-in-all this is the best BT I've ever used. People I call repeatedly mention how clear I sound and how it mimics the quality of a landline. One thing I noticed straight out of the box was that incoming sound quality would vary if the connected phone was moved around (in-hand) or kept in my pocket. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like the static you could get on older cordless phones. It took a bit of wait time to finally get through to customer support but they were keenly thorough in having me reset my device. Sound quality is much improved since the reset but I have noticed some continued (albeit minor) static with regard to incoming sound quality. BlueAnt ensured me that if the problem persists that they will quickly replace the unit. It spanks all the Jawbone, Motorola and Sony/Ericsson models I've tried. My gut tells me that with this being a new product a future firmware update will help boost performance. The update software that comes with the device is pretty straight forward too.

- Simple to use and the voice prompting is well implemented
- Very comfortable to wear (and I use the ear hook)
- Charges quickly
- Having a contact list inside the device to provide caller ID anouncements is a nice feature
- Initializes my phones built in voice command features quickly and without a hitch
- No dropped pairing thus far (knock on wood)

List price is a bit steep but shop it - it's a tremendous value at anything less than 90 bucks
on December 13, 2010
For years, I have been looking for a bluetooth headset that actually works as it should. My bluetooth 'graveyard' is literally full of contenders that failed in the end. Jawbone, Plantronics, Motorola, etc. All relegated to their place in a drawer or trash because they just couldn't cut the mustard in the end. I wanted to give Blueant a chance at some point, and the Q2 was their shot.

Let me start with the one bad thing and then move on to the many positives. The one bad thing is that sometimes people on the other end sound a little muddled and hard to understand. I think most times it is a function of their input method (e.g. speakerphone) than the headset. When people are using a good headset or talking directly into the phone, it seems better.

Let's move on to the positives....

Caller name announce rocks. I had a Captivate which is listed as a compatible phone. It does not appear to be for caller name announce. I went around and around with Blueant customer support and could never get it to work. I even got another headset from AT&T and could not get it to work. While you can manually copy your address book to the Q2, it does not work as it should with the Captivate which makes it a very tedious and time consuming process if you have a lot of contacts as I do. I had to park the Captivate for other reasons and switched over to my iPhone 3gs and found that the Q2 works flawlessly. My contacts copied to the Q2 with ease and as designed. Caller name announce is probably one of my favorite features of the Q2.

Holding a connection is a big deal. I ran into problems with the Plantronics Discovery 975 in this area. With the iPhone, the 975 would drop it's connection during calls, and it was extremely annoying. I've yet to see a problem with the Q2 dropping a connection to a headset, so I would say the Q2 is very stable with this regard.

Battery life seems to be good as well. The Discovery 975 was in the 3-4 hour range of talk time. The Blueant beats that hands down. I have not had it die on me yet during the day, but I do throw it on the charger occasionally if it's not in use during the day.

Call quality is probably the best I have come across. The trick is to make sure the Q2 is resting against your face. Once you have the position correct, I have not had any complaints from others that they can't hear me. Other than people sounding muddled occasionally as previously mentioned, I have not come across problems on the inbound side.

Voice dialing is an option with the iPhone and is available with Android 2.2. I don't have 2.2 on the Captivate yet, but I can confirm that voice dialing works on the iPhone.

The last area I'll cover is fit. I had to bump the ear piece down to the smaller one for a slightly better fit. I had planned on ditching the ear loop, but I kept it because it adds stability and is comfortable. I find that I can wear the Q2 as long as I like.

Normally, I am not a 5 star kind of guy. There is always something that could be better. For the Q2, I consider it so far ahead of the others in the market, I felt it deserved a 5 star rating. Across many years of trying to find a bluetooth headset that actually worked, the Q2 finally delivered what I had been seeking. Good stable fit and exceptional call quality along with advanced features such as caller name announce takes the Q2 into 5 star territory.
on December 11, 2010
I recently lost my 3rd generation Jawbone earpiece and saw some positive reviews on this BlueAnt Q2. It was significantly less expensive ($80-ish versus $130-ish) than buying another Jawbone and had all these voice activated features. I've been using it for several weeks now and I love it! The sound quality is terrific - I never have to raise the volume very high. The voice activation is so simple and integrates so well with my iPhone that I almost never have to look at my phone to interact with it. One thing it does that my Jawbone didn't was play any audio coming from my phone - so music and really any streaming audio, not just calls (though I've heard the latest generation Jawbone does this now too.) I also love that it has an on/off switch. There were several times I thought I had turned my Jawbone off, but either hadn't or somehow it got squished enough to turn it back on so the battery was low when I needed it. I also like that it uses standard micro-USB connectors for accessories instead of proprietary connectors. My only complaint is that whenever I "check battery" it tells me the battery is "medium" - right up until it starts to beep and then dies. But compared to the great sound and the easy voice navigation, that's a small flaw.
on December 9, 2011
As some reviewers have mentioned on this, and other, products, one must be careful to read the full description of the product. I was very careful to make sure the product I selected was a "retail packaged" unit to ensure all accessories were received along with the manual. In fact, the description even states that the retail packaging that this comes in will have an AT&T logo (as illustrated in one customer's photo submission).

What I got was a total letdown for the money. The product was a bare Q2 with just one earbud, no manual, and contained in generic packaging. In fact, none of the packaging even reflected that this was a BlueAnt Q2. The cardboard insert only described the product as a universal Bluetooth headset. I am waiting on authorization to return this product, but will not plan to buy from this seller again. These are the type of sellers and ads that sour people's experiences with Amazon.com. Quite honestly, I don't believe I will be making ANY future purchases that are not fulfilled directly by Amazon.com.

UPDATE: I am following up with my review above. I was contacted by the seller of this product (The Slick Zone at my time of purchase - a single listing can have numerous third-party sellers it appears) today. The customer service rep. offered to send all of the accessories free of charge for this headset. I agreed, and decided to keep the product.....initially. I hadn't even looked over the headset that close until after this phone conversation, as there was no reason to open a package that I wasn't going to keep.

Upon closer inspection of the product, it appears to be a counterfeit item to me. The most glaring difference between this and a retail product I purchased last month is the rubber piece on the inside of the headset near the end. The retail-packaged item I purchased had this small rubber piece molded very nicely with the "BlueAnt" name and "Q2" on its surface. This item came with a very cheap looking piece of glossy rubber with no markings. There were two other items that stuck out at me and screamed counterfeit. The first was the screen that covers the center area of the outside and end of the headset had a low quality finish compared to the retail product. The second was the actual ear hook. The rubber molded onto the hook was not nearly as crisp or well-defined and didn't look as clean in its design.
on February 16, 2011
The headset was great in the two days I treid it out, but apparently bulk packaging is slang for refurbished. I ordered this listed as "new" but it had marks and debris on it, indicating it was refurbished. It also had corrupted firmware on it, and I had to do an upgrade just to get it to turn on. There are other sellers with this item new in the box for a very close price, so I returned this for a full refund.

It came in a ziplock baggie, and does not come with everything a retail item would have. Only one ear gel, which was disappointing.

EDIT: Just FYI, I purchased this item from vendor THEPRUNEDANISH and it was fulfilled by Amazon. THEPRUNEDANISH contacted me after I sent it back and said they did not even know they were refurbushed and appoligized for the mix-up. I guess a few people called in with the same complaint. So anyone out there looking at "Bulk Packaging" headsets, beware it might not be brand new. I would suggest you contact the vendor and ask them direct before purchasing.

-----
EDIT: 3/4/2012
After using a BlueAnt T1 for a while it has a really annoying design flaw. The ear hook slides around and I had to constantly adjust it. Now I have purchased a NEW in the original box Q2 and I LOVE IT! No complaints on sound quality. I love the caller ID name announce feature (this is why I only buy BlueAnt). The ear hook stays perfectly in place, and the ear gels even seem to stay better than on the T1. Overall worth the extra $$$. I work in a construction, service, and office environment. This works great in all situations and it stays in place. I wear it for 8-10 hours a day, every day, no problems at all with ear pain. I can talk on the phone to technical support WHILE I am doing repairs and trying the things they suggest. No using speaker phone and worrying about the customer listening in on you. I don't know what else to say, this is simply amazing. Never hold a phone to your ear again and get more work done!
on June 2, 2013
I've had this bluetooth before, lost it, and had to buy it again. I have an iPhone 5 and it syncs up and works perfectly with Siri. I have a fairly noisy car and people say they do notice a slight ambient noise increase when I use this compared to holding the phone, however it's much less than when I try to use my in car bluetooth. The charge does take a few hours but I've had very good battery life and have yet to feel like I am inconvienced by a short battery life.

The bulk packaging is very nice, it's essentially all the stuff you care about without the fancy packaging, which is just going to end up in the trash anyways so why pay for it?
on June 13, 2013
Sound quality is very clear and it does everything it says it does.... fits into ear and stays securely. ... definite recommendation