5.0 out of 5 stars Compact High Power USB Wireless Adapter
Published on June 26, 2009 by R. Rue

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
Make no mistake, you get what you pay for with this. I bought it to use with my G3 running Ubuntu 9.04. Just as they claim, it worked right away, and the drivers for it are fine. Note that this thing gets extremely hot. Mind-blowingly hot. I can't believe it doesn't have a straight up heating element in it hot.

The real problem is the power, or lack there...
Published on May 23, 2009 by Kenneth Finnegan

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact High Power USB Wireless Adapter, June 26, 2009
R. Rue "roashru" (FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlueProton High-Gain BT3 23dbm Wireless G USB 2.0 802.11g Adapter (Electronics)
This high powered USB WiFi adapter seems to work fine the WiFi adapters receive is lower than the norm due to the internal antenna it has. All of my access points are 21dbm (130mW) or higher and have found this WiFi adapter will penetrate walls far better than other common low priced low powered adapters of the same size. The MAC number is Realtek of Taiwan. The first thing you should do if you purchase one is download the current drivers for RTL8187B the files on the little disk are 2 years old!.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, May 23, 2009
Kenneth Finnegan (Sunnyvale, CA United States) - See all my reviews

The real problem is the power, or lack there of (sounds like a poor antenna in it, doesn't it?). This thing doesn't go very far. From the next room, it received my AP fine (60-100%), but the router (WRT54GL) was only receiving it 8-10 dB above the noise floor, which is a poor connection. My Dell laptop in the same place comes in +28-30 dB. This means that I can only get a 150-300 kBps connection from the next room, and is quite unreliable.

Does this mean that it's useless? Not at all. For in class, or a coffee shop, it works. A good rule is that if you're in the same room as the AP, you stand a good chance of getting in. Don't try and use this thing to get across your house because you're too lazy to run CAT6 cable; It won't work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real real IFFY..., December 26, 2008
I purchased one of these because I was having trouble getting a wireless signal to a visiting friend in his travel trailer about 25 yards away.

While one would think that virtually any wireless system would easily send a line of sight signal that far, not the case here. Just wouldn't penetrate his trailer even with the wireless receiver line of site in his window...

So ultimately I hedged all bets, added a 7db gain antenna to my D-Link router and tried this unit in his computer figuring that even allowing for massive interference and signal loss, we should still get a gain of at least 10 db. No such luck.

In fact, this unit basically got the same range/distance/signal (or lack thereof) as my USB D-LINK DWL-G132 with no gain.

What this unit DID GET was ***HOT***! VERY, VERY, VERY HOT! Almost too hot to touch.

SCARY HOT!

NOT RECOMMENDED. Sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked on Mac, April 11, 2010
I received the Blue Proton High Gain Wireless LAN adapter and it's box said it used RTL8187L chipset.

I loaded that chipset's driver from the Realtek web site and after some trouble, got it working and it seems to work well. It's warm, but not hot like some reviewers said it was. (Earlier version?)

It is working on a 500mhz Pismo g3 iBook running OS 10.4.11.
This is especially gratifying because the Pismo has no PCMCIA slot and AirPort cards cost so much and are such a hassle to install, I didn't bother to see whether it was even an option. No need, the Blue Proton got me connected for [...] including shipping. Who can complain?

Using the trouble I had, I constructed this installation instruction set.
Similar documentation may be on the CD, but I didn't need to look. I figured it out with minimal hassle.

Install the RTL8187 driver.
When told to reboot, install the USB wireless adapter, then click "Reboot."

Under the "Show" drop-down menu, select the "Ethernet Adapter (en2)" panel
Click "Apply Now" (no need to change anything)
Under the "Show" drop-down menu, go back to the "Network Status" panel
"Ethernet Adapter (en2)" should now be an option
Open Applications > RealTek USB WLAN Client Utility" (if necessary)

Click "Available Network" tab
Select a wireless network and click "Connect"

Under the "RealTek USB WLAN Client Utility" menu, select "Hide RealTek USB WLAN Client Utility"

You may want to click and hold on the Realtek crab in the dock and select "Keep in Dock" for easy access.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, crappy service, November 21, 2010
Von (Virginia) - See all my reviews
A while back, I was looking for something to boost my laptop's wifi signal. I thought that BlueProton's "antenna" was for that purpose. The photo doesnt look like what I remember buying but I guess its the same product since its what amazon offered me to review. So anyway, the product was very easy to set up and it showed me wifi - both locked and unlocked. That was when i realized that it was a regular wifi antenna and not a "booster". It didnt increase my laptop's signal and the signals it had within its own program did not look any stronger than Dell's. So, it was my error, and I wanted to return the product. I contacted the company and followed procedure to a t....yet I wasnt getting email replies in a timely manner, if a reply at all. And it was something like..months..before I got a refund. That was huge turn-off for me. You see, it felt like, if i hadnt stayed on top of the refund, emailing whenever weeks went by and still no refund, this company would have kept my money. I now avoid buying from BlueProton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Linux.Big jump in signal strength., September 30, 2010
I bought this for use in an apartment with concrete walls.It is being used with a Dell desktop that is now running Fedora 13.When I first received it I was using Ubuntu 10.04.That distro did not recognize the adapter.10.04 worked with my Belkin-G wifi dongle,but would only get at best a 31% signal.I tried the Blue Proton with a live cd of Fedora 13 and it worked out of the box.The signal now is 70 to 75%.I have not tried it on a Windows machine,because I dont have any computers with Windows installed.Next up I will try it with Opensuse 11.3.The Belkin-G wasnt recognized by that distro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time saver, March 20, 2010
I have blown about 20 hours trying to get my other old WLAN PCI cards and USB adaptors configured with a new router. I did not want a used adapter off CL or EBY, so I bought this from AMAZON due to low price and good rating. Wow! Works better than all my other adaptors with the best range and stability. Used in rear USB port of computer in a closed cabinet in basement with router 1 floor away. 2 minutes to set up. Didn't have any trouble with my WEP security. Documentation on included CD was good and read 1st, but since essentially plug and play I didn't need help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Proton Wireless Dongle-Excellent Product for the Price!, March 3, 2010
The Blue Proton Wireless Adaptor is a quailty product, well worth the price. No item is perfect though, and there is one minor downside. The wireless dongle is a little on the large side when compared to other wireless adapters or dongles, so it can get kind of cramped when fitting it in the USB port in the back of your computer, but it doesn't really bother me. Besides that, the connection quality is good; I'm currently using it to connect a computer to the internet that is the farthest away from the wireless router in my home. 9 out of 10 rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than more expensive adapters, August 19, 2010
I bought this for a computer which is in a garage on the first floor of my house. My wifi modem is upstairs. My house gets the worst cell phone and everything else reception, but this blueproton wifi adapter really works great. It detects not only my wifi perfectly, but the neighbors also. This item also shipped very fast!

Pros:
Detects wifi perfectly
easy to use
portable

Cons:
Had to run the driver setup in vista compatibility mode. You need to do this with windows 7.
Other than that there are no cons.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ADAPTER FOR THE MONEY, March 21, 2010
This little wi-fi adapter installed automatically in 32-bit Vista SP2 with little fuss. The Windows wireless configuration made setup a breeze. The wireless signal strength is not as good as the dedicated adapter in my laptop, but it picks up most networks without any trouble. As other reviewers have commented, it does get warm during use (all of these USB devices seem to), but not terribly hot. For the price, it can't be beat.