5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Me From Horrible Fumes!
You're probably completely shocked that this Smokestop Filter costs as much as it does. But trust me, if you have any problems with odors, it's worth EVERY penny.

Published on March 22, 2008 by Marino Shauye

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Filters; Should be Half the Price!
I use these filters all the time. I have a problem with terrible allergies to dust and pollen and stuff that really flared up more or less permanently, after I chose to work in a professional capacity down at the World Trade Center area a week or so after the deadly attacks occurred.

We had a a large group of our main clients who lived right in the immediate...
Published 16 months ago by C. Cornell

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved Me From Horrible Fumes!, March 22, 2008
This review is from: Blueair Smokestop Filter for 400 Series Air Purifier (Kitchen)

I normally use the regular Blueair filter for the 402, but I purchased the Smokestop after my neighborhood was flooded with horrible fumes from a nearby methane gas leak. The authorities deemed the gases as harmless, so no evacuations were ordered. However, being very sensitive to fumes of any kind, I became very ill. With no other place to go, I put the Smokestop filter into my 402 and moved the air cleaner into my smallest bedroom, where I camped out for the next couple of days. A trip to any other room of the house left me feeling nauseous, dizzy, with a raging headache and difficulty breathing within minutes (but the fumes were "harmless"!!). The room with the Blueair equipped with the Smokestop filter was absolutely free of odor. It was incredible.

Since not everyone has methane gas leaks permeating their homes (thankfully!), you may never get the chance to test the filter in this way. But it no doubt works wonders with cigarette smoke and other offensive odors that waft into your home.

The filter has 2 "chambers." One filled with activated charcoal, and the other with the familiar Blueair patented white filter. So it doesn't just stop with odors, it still cleans particles from the air with great efficiency, and best of all, Q-U-I-E-T-ly. Just remember to change it after 6 months, even if it means going back to the regular (and cheaper) filter. Happy breathing!

SEPT. 2008 ADDENDUM: I had another fume problem, this time, toxic deck sealant fumes from a home repair seeping into the house. I purchased another Smokestop filter and this time I noticed an odor coming from the filter itself. It's not horrible, but I had become so sensitive to odors after a week of sealant exposure that it made me feel sick. I left the Blueair on high and it has reduced the smell after a few days. To be fair, despite the filter smell, the deck sealant odor was neutralized. And finally, I have a balcony-smoking neighbor, and as soon as secondhand smoke wafts into my bedroom, I turn up the Blueair and the smoke odor is gone in a flash. Just be aware of the initial odor from the filter itself. I'd say I'm dropping my rating to 4 stars, or 3.8 if I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Particle Filtration - Great, Odor Removal - OK, March 27, 2013
Savvy Consumer (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This filter is probably not worth the extra dough. It doesn't remove smells quickly (at full speed) however it does remove a decent amount of VOC's over time. This is due to having a very thin layer of carbon that performs best for about a month. At full price, I would probably opt for the regular filter - if you don't smoke of have a major problem with VOC's - this filter is an more of a luxury and less of an upgrade. Someone mentioned that the thicker / denser filter significantly muffles the sound of the air-filter - not true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filters, October 21, 2009
Allan C. (Warner Robins, GA) - See all my reviews
Difficult to get a bargain with these but buying thru Amazon offers dependability with the order. Reasonable shipping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the alternative blueair filter, February 24, 2013
If given the option to rate with fractional values I'd give this a 3.5 star rating. Blueair filters are extremely expensive compared to their competitors and their warranty requires that filters be replaced every 6 months, which is often more often than needed. If you are extremely sensitive to noise the Blueair filters offer some of the lowest noise levels of any air filter on the market, but one has to pay dearly for this feature. If you already own a Blueair filter there are only two choices available to you: the particle filter at $60 and the smokestop filter at $120; there are no third party vendors. The smokestop filter has 2 pounds of activated carbon to control gaseous pollutants and odors in addition to the HEPA filter found in the cheaper particle only filter. The smokestop filter also has a foam prefilter in the back that can be brushed to removed dust buildup; thus, it will probably last longer than the particle filter, which lacks a prefilter (although if you choose to use the filter for more than 6 months you void the warranty). The particle filter has absolutely no activated carbon so if offers zero protection from gaseous pollutants and most users will be better off with the smokestop filter unless that are also running other air purifiers in conjunction with the Blueair filter. The smokestop filter does a good job and provides full spectrum filtration, the only negative feature is that it is overpriced compared to filters of similar quality for other air purifiers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my BlueAir machines!, May 24, 2014
I suffer from HORRIBLE allergies, especially during this current 'allergy vortex.' I am thrilled to have found the BlueAir machines a couple of years ago. The filters, while expensive, really keep the air 'breathable' in my home. These are a must for allergy sufferers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, April 27, 2014
From the moment that I turned it on, I noticed a difference in my allergies. After 24 hours I was not coughing or sneezing anymore. The smokestop filter is expensive, but worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Air filter, February 18, 2014
Blueair Filters are quality made , last a very long time as long as you keep them clean. A little expensive .

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job, January 10, 2014
We've had our Blueair for a little over a year and it does a good job of keeping the air fresh in our living room (we are both
light smokers.) The information booklet that came with the Blueair says that filters last about six months. I've found that we
don't get quite that long out of a filter, more like 4-5 months which may be because we have a fairly high volume ceiling in the
room. It's easy to tell when it needs changing, I can really tell a difference in the air quality when I walk into the room from
outside and know its time to change the filter. So even though we need to change the filter a bit more frequently, I'm very happy with the job it does overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great filter for the Blueair purifier for pipe smoking, March 21, 2013
T.M. Tolkien (Wisconsin, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this filter to clean the air in the room that I smoke a pipe. So far the filter has been working great for two months. They say it normally lasts for six months so time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, September 24, 2011
I had been buying this product direct from the company because my fiance is alergic to smoke and I am a smoker. Product works great and I found that it's a lot cheaper on Amazon.

Blueair Smokestop Filter for 400 Series Air Purifier