1,117 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Endearing Characters!
This was such an enjoyable break from some of the heavier stuff I have been reading. I love all that crazy, heavy reading but sometimes it's good to settle into light-hearted romance.

Published on November 27, 2011 by The Kindle Book Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but HORRIBLE proofing!
Published on February 27, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story but HORRIBLE proofing!, February 27, 2012
I would have given the story 4.5 stars but the proofing was absolutely horrible. If I read a book with grammatical errors, I usually walk away from it because it is so frustrating. The fact that I kept reading until the end meant it was a great read but the proof reader should be fired. There were even parts where the wrong character was named in a scene and it led me to believe the characters were cheating on each other. Disappointing to say the least. This is apparently the first in a trilogy but I am unwilling to try the sequels simply because of the editing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Endearing Characters!, November 27, 2011

Kathleen Brooks' Bluegrass State of Mind was just the book I needed. It is full of endearing characters in a `Mayberry' type small town who seem to embrace you as they embrace the main character, McKenna.

McKenna and her friend Danielle witness a crime perpetrated by McKenna's boyfriend and the law partners from her prestigious firm in New York. The group also contained a high-powered Senator and McKenna knew their only hope of survival was to split up and disappear.

McKenna ends up applying for the Assistant DA position in the small town of Keeneston hoping to use an old friend from her childhood as a way in.

The important things about this story are how it made me feel. I loved the town and it's citizens. I felt the author truly knew these people and they were not one-dimensional characters. The romance between McKenna and Will are secondary for me but still well written and important to the story. The added suspense of McKenna's past gave the over all plotline flavor.

I am not a huge Romance reader these days but I am thankful Kathleen Brooks asked for the review. I am happily adding the rest of the series to my TBR shelf and will continue to follow Ms. Brooks future works.

I recommend this book highly to all lovers of Romance and those that need to change it up from their typical reading preferences.
4 out of 5 Stars! Tammy with The Kindle Book Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Lighthearted and wonderful., September 29, 2012
Kristy (Surprise, az) - See all my reviews
I found this book on Barnes and Nobles website as a free read. I am so glad that I downloaded it. It is lighthearted, fun, but also a mix of the danger.

This book revolves around Attorney McKenna Mason who has just witnessed a major crime and is now on the run. Leaving everything she knows. She winds up in Keeneston looking for a job and an old friend from her childhood. Throughout the book we find out little by little what drove her to the small town.

The book is from only one person's point of view and also just so everyone know there is no sex scenes. I know, I know, sad but it is also good because even with the little intimate moments leading up to the moment you know it's going to happen. I feel that this book was wonderful how it was written. So if you are looking for those explicit sex scenes you will not find it in this book.

Also what made me love the book even more is that the character grew up in my hometown of Liverpool, NY just outside of Syracuse. It's not often that you find author's that have heard of those little town's in upstate NY let alone create a character from those parts. That made this book that much more special to me.

I love Kenna because she is a strong female character and a kick ass attorney who will know men right off their feet in the courtroom. Just like she knocks her childhood friend Will Aston's socks off. She may have run but she had her reasons to keep low until the time is right.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series about Mo and Danielle!!

A must read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful!, March 11, 2012
goldngemgirl "goldngemgal" (St. Leonard, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I rarely start skipping paragraphs or pages when I'm reading a book. Towards the middle of this one, I started skipping whole chapters.

Kenna shows up in a new town and instantly becomes the belle-of-the-ball. The whole town basically falls in love with her and supports her in all she does and drops all they're doing to run to her aid??? Really? I lived in the south for a few years and, yes, the people were very nice. But, you know what, folks are nice here in the north, too. This whole unbelievable background was very distracting to me in this book.

Also, the author got way to deep in the weeds and description of some things. I don't need to know she grabbed her laptop, opened a browser, signed on to her email account, opened her email, and read her email. Couldn't the author have just said 'she read her email'? Do I need a step-by-step visual? I think we pretty much all know what email is and how it's read these days.

She meets a Sheik and within the first few hours/day of their meeting, he's offering to do anything for her? Lend her his private jet? Really? Really?

The ex-wife Whitney... She's a complete b*tch who returns to Kentucky and her ex-husband allows her full access to his person, family, stable, etc? And we're supposed to believe that? Really? She runs into Chad, Kenna's exboyfriend, in Washington DC and invites him with her to an event in Kentucky? Really?

This was a freebie book but I think I deserve restitution for my time for reading such drivel.

1.0 out of 5 stars The author should be embarrassed, April 4, 2012
I never give up on a book, and before I go further I should say I only got 10 percent through this book before I couldn't take anymore. It's filled with errors and the dialogue is the most stilted and artificial I've ever read (and I've slogged through some bad books). How about a contraction every once in awhile?
Finally, being a Kentuckian, I have to wonder if the author has ever been to Kentucky and if so, whether she thinks we're all backwoods small town folk. We're not. And we don't have DA's, we have Commonwealth's (or County) Attorneys. Fact checking and proof reading are an author's friend.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much name dropping, February 17, 2012
While the story line was good, I did not like the constant name dropping.
Brand name that is. Do I really want to know the brand of every garment the ladies wore? Also needed better proof reading. Not something I will read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluegrass Series a Hit, October 10, 2012
Bluegrass State of Mind is book one by Kathleen Brooks in her Bluegrass Series
A friend suggested this book, which I loved, and true to her word I bought books two and three(Risky Shot and Dead Heat) at the same time. The minute I finished book two I had to start book three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful with light hearted old fashioned humour!!, March 17, 2012
If your unsure about this book, don't be! It was a great read, drew me in right away, not a fluff piece with no story, had great backbone storyline and was dotted with old fashioned humour and values that had me laughing out loud! Was worth the risk of ordering it and since finishing it, I've purchased books 2 and 3 of the series, can't wait to get started on them and see where the story goes!! I love contemporary romance books and this one fit the bill perfect!!

1.0 out of 5 stars NEED A *0* STARS FOR THIS ONE..., March 15, 2012
flyingcow (Socialist Republic of Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
Wow, what a dud--this book contains a stew of chick-lit cliches, seasoned with a glaring lack of editing--myriad typos, spelling errors, and usage problems (e.g., wrong verb tenses, inappropriate word choices, etc.)--not to mention the absurdity of female characters walking through the mud of horse paddocks in 4-inch heels--but, on the other hand it IS a free book that demonstrates clearly you get what you pay for--don't waste your time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, April 23, 2012
I enjoyed this book very much, I started reading it thinking that I wasn't going to but I completely changed my mind. The plot was very intriguing and the romance was great. I would recommend this to anyone that likes books!

Bluegrass State of Mind
Bluegrass State of Mind by Kathleen Brooks (Paperback - January 20, 2012)
$10.99 $9.69
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.