5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea made into a well made product
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:51 Mins
The CableBox is a simple enough thing, a large, very sturdy plastic box with slits on either side, a lid that fits snugly, and rubber pads on the bottom. Sure wish I would have thought of it.

Published 12 months ago by Bob Tobias

Published on May 25, 2012 by Hotrodimus

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea made into a well made product, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Bluelounge CableBox - Black - Cable Management 15.6 X 5.7 inches (Electronics)
Length:: 0:51 Mins

It is bigger than I might have expected and exactly the dimension that are provide in the Amazon listing (5.5" wide by 6.5" high by 16 inches long). The accompanying video (of the CableBox in white, it shows up better) may help you visualize that size. It turns out, bigger than expected or not, the size was perfect.

It easily accommodated my Belkin 12-Outlet Surge Protector. There was plenty of room if I had any of those annoying power adapters plugged into it and there was space so I could pull in all the excess cable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but why so expensive., February 22, 2009
J. Pavlak (Commerce City, CO) - See all my reviews
This really cleaned up the space under my desk and eliminated all of the dust traps under there and made it a LOT easier to vacuum under there without sucking up any cords. It is well designed, but I'm not sure the high price is justified.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is actually too narrow for the type of user that's most likely to need it, overpriced as well, May 25, 2012
I'm a bit baffled and frustrated by the unanimously positive reviews of this thing, even though it's a GREAT concept. At 6" width, it's just too thin for any of my surge protectors to actually fit in when they're loaded down with AC adapters. For a power strip to properly accommodate "brick"-style adapters, all sorts of design considerations are in order on the part of the person creating the power strip, but pretty much all of those considerations - properly spacing and staggering the outlets - ultimately make the surge protector/power strip + the adapters = fatter than 6" wide. So the CableBox finds itself in an ironic situation - unable to properly contain the mess being experienced by the users that actually most need something like the cablebox. I have two surge protectors crammed with fat and ugly AC adapters that I've already meticulously arranged to make them all fit on the power strip next to each other, and they still manage to splay their attached cables out all over the place, creating a really hideous "spaghetti going in all directions" mess. This is the type of rat's nest of cables that's most begging to be corralled by a product like the CableBox, as the cables are already going in all directions and the strip itself is a big loaded-down eyesore - and yet, it just isn't wide enough to fit.

I tried both surge protectors I'm already using, borrowed a few from work, have compared the product measurements of all of the best-rated ones on Amazon, and I can't seem to find one that's going to be under 6" in width by the time it's loaded up with AC Adapters. Thus, the CableBox is ironically too thin to be useful to the type of person that actually needs it the most, instead going for a sort of middle-of-the-road "casual" user that just has a handful of things plugged in to a smaller power strip. Even stranger - this is the "big" CableBox, so they make an even smaller one! What, do we need to wait for a "mega" one?

I finally managed to cram everything together by first adding "outlet liberator"-type extenders to the adapters to get them off of one of the strips and then crammed everything tightly together into the CableBoxes with the lid barely staying on. I'm concerned, though, as most of these AC Adapters are actually designed to have decent airflow around them to dissipate heat - they're not meant to be crammed into tight spaces with no airflow.

Bummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference! My friends even commented on it., February 24, 2011
When I first received the product, I was surprised at the size as it seemed a bit large for what I needed. Silly me. Once I plugged in all of my devices into the power strip, three of which have large power blocks and long cords, everything fit just right. It's sturdy enough that I can place other peripherals on top of it such as my external hard drive. The only improvement I would make is to add rubber feet so it won't slip around. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but it will last you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get rid of that spaghetti bowl!, November 2, 2011
What took me so long to clean up my hodgepodge of wires, cables, and cords? Aesthetics and safety are important to me, especially in my study, which is also the library, piano room, and yoga room. I desire a calm ambiance, surrounded by my 2000 books. However, until I bought this BlueLounge box, the floor between my desk and pedestal looked like the center of the "Dallas mixmaster" of interstates, with prominent dust bunnies collecting on this untidy collection of cables. Now, it is clean, orderly, and unobtrusive.

The box is plain, rectangular, and deep, with a matte finish (I have the black one), made from fire-retardant plastic. If you are using a precarious device to store your cables, like a shoebox, it is a dangerous fire hazard; it is well worth the money to protect your home from turning into a fireball.

Dimensions are 398 mm/15.6 in long, 154 mm/6 in wide, and 134 mm/5.3 inches deep, with rubber feet to prevent it from slipping. There's plenty of storage space--looks about the size of a shoebox.

I placed a large 12-outlet surge protector in the BlueLounge box without needing to unplug anything. I could have easily fit a second one in there, also. The outlets or openings on each end of the box are about 3.5 inches long and ¾ inch wide, plenty of room for the mass of cables. I tucked the box on the bottom shelf of my pedestal, and voila! From helter-skelter to harmony, all in a few minutes. It's like a 3-minute manager for just 25 bucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cable management solution, could benefit from higher quality plastics, February 14, 2011
I keep my laptop on my kitchen counter, and between the power supply, USB hub, audio cables, and cables to connect to a second monitor, I had a giant nest of cables on display. I found this as a solution and and very pleased with the size of the box and it's ease of use as a cable clutter problem solver. There's plenty of room inside for a power strip and cables, and the size of the cord openings on the side allow for everything from small audio cables to larger HDMI and power cables. My only reason for a 4-star review is that the plastic of the box is a somewhat smoky-looking black, and not a high-gloss plastic such as the back of an iPhone 3GS or perhaps on the bezel of a TV. This would make the aesthetics more pleasing and make it seem like it's worth the relatively high cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but totally worth it, May 15, 2013
It does the job very well. People voiced two main criticisms: 1. it is "just" a plastic box and is pricey for what it is; 2. It isn't large enough to store the bulky plugs + power bricks that the target demographic has.

I think those criticisms are not that valid. Here's why:

1. There are different kinds of plastic. You have the other Chinese knock offs that you're probably seeing in the Amazon "people who viewed this product also viewed..." section. The reason why they are cheaper is very likely that they use a lower quality plastic. The quality of plastic used in this item is a higher, more durable quality. You can feel it when you hold it. No, this is not just me rationalizing the cost. :)

2. I use this for my desktop computer workstation. I can fit a larger power strip in there with power bricks/cables for speakers and printer, cables for desktop, laptop, monitor with PLENTY of room to spare. All it requires is a little bit of planning to bundle your cables up properly for storage instead of just trying to stuff them in there.

It is a bit pricey -- if it were 20% less I think it would be at a great price point. However, all other products in this segment are clearly inferior, so of course they will continue to charge a price that is worth it in that respect.

Anyway, if you can't decide between this and the cheaper knock offs, GET THIS. It is worth it. Plus, don't support the Chinese knock off industry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple design that works, June 5, 2011
Terrence Chay "tychay" (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this a number of years ago, which I wrote about:[...]. It's just a box with two holes in it, but it actually works and has survived two moves. The device comes with a bunch of tie twists or zip ties (forgot which) which you can do yourself a favor and throw away (mine are still taped to the cablebox), and instead get a bunch of CableBuddies or velcro zip ties.

Use this in places where you cannot hide the cabling. For instance, companies sell clamp-on or screw-mount cableways (or you can DIY a pegboard) and almost all power supplies have screw mounts for wall or desk mounting so you probably should use those over these on office desks and plain tables. Also, avoid this if you have only a few electronics since companies like Belkin make designer power supplies for hiding cables and a good set of CableBuddies will allow you to shorten and organize a few cables

However in places like exposed TV mount setups, kitchen offices, and the like, the cablebox really comes in handy if you have a lot of electornics. The box is quite big and needs to be for it to work well. If it is too big for you then that area would have been better served with cable ties and cord organizers.

The reason you should get the black one is because the white one will discolor over a number of years due to sun exposure and heat (of the power supplies). The CableBox is both simple and thoughful which, in my opinion, is the hallmark for good design. I'm docking 1 star for the price--I'd personally pay more with a higher quality plastic, or the value of these things should be less so you can buy tons. If it were made in the USA, I'd understand. Also be aware that since I wrote my review, these things are also available in more colors than black and white. So consider those before purchasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive Plastic Black Box, July 3, 2012
Realize that you are buying a thin plastic black box for almost $25. I have no issues with it. I do like it and use it to hide the mass of cables and plugs into my home theater. It blends in almost perfectly. Still, it is expensive for a plastic black box. I wish the logo was put somewhere else than on the top as I can't set the box on its side. I would buy again, but would search for something a little less expensive, if available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, but way too much $ for what it is., September 30, 2013
It's a plastic box. I understand someone designed it, set up the manufacturing in China, etc. But still - it's a plastic shoe box with a hole on each end. I'd be wanting to give it 10 stars if I hadn't spent $30 on a plastic shoe box with holes in each end. That said, it works. As well as a plastic shoe box with holes on each end has to work.

Rate and Discover Movies