5.0 out of 5 stars More Moore on Blu Ray is always 5 stars for me....
Published 23 months ago by Richardson

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me
i was swayed by a review in Amazon and decided to try this album; Jimi is Jimi so how could I go wrong? Gary Moore is a great guitarist, just not the voice for me. This will not be going into my itunes.
Published 22 months ago by jack goldman

5.0 out of 5 stars More Moore on Blu Ray is always 5 stars for me...., September 25, 2012
This review is from: Blues for Jimi [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Even though the program is only a 74 minutes and the stage is obviously not arranged for photo elegance...when Gary Moore plays guitar its always worth a view and a listen. My favorite Gary Moore blu ray is the tribute to Phil Lynott Gary Moore & Friends: One Night in Dublin - A Tribute to Phil Lynott [Blu-ray] and even his last show at Montreux Live at Montreux 2010 [Blu-ray] I would suggest before this if you do not own. If you do own those and are a fan.... there is no reason not to enjoy this rip roaring tribute to Jimi Hendrix.

Gary Moore plays a couple of strats and even a flying V in his tribute and I do prefer the sound of his strats on this program. The few songs where he is joined by original Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell and Band of Gypsies bass player Billy Cox (Red House, Stone Free, and Hey Joe) are particular highlights for me.

As far as rating it 5 stars...well that is because I love Gary Moore's playing and musicality and miss him and plead for more to be released. If I were to be brutally honest I could knock a star off just because there are 5 star DVDs which have better/longer shows, backstage interviews and bonus tracks and I normally reserve 5 stars for such overwhelming values but Gary Moore's flying fingers and passion puts the extra star on this for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another unique Gary Moore concert, September 27, 2012
EcoActive (arroyo grande, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blues for Jimi [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Not too long as 74 minutes but even 5 minutes of gary lasts a lifetime when you see him play. Great versions of the songs in my opinion and voodoo child was a brutal version of all the versions have seen through the years as only gary could pull off....Was a bit confused on the liner and at the show saying he is one of the best british guitar players as he was born in belfast,Ireland?
But realize he lived almost all of his life in England so probably consider him a local no doubt. Another must have for Gary Moore devotee's like myself that play almost every night his concerts after all are asleep and wonder what could have been in the future from the master. A++++++

5.0 out of 5 stars The one you have to see!!!, September 27, 2012
Ok so I worked last night 12 hours. I've been asleep for about an hour and the mail man honks his horn. I come back in the house with this DVD and that was 3 hours ago. Gary is possessed in this performance. Its obvious he cut his teeth playing some of Jimi's songs. Its none stop musical,mayhem bliss. He only stops once after about 4 songs to ask the crowd "How ya doin?" and rips off into another assault. Sure the drummer isn't quite right on "manic depression" but not many could get that right anyway. When Billy and Mitch take the stage I'm sure Gary was given another injection of power cause it shows in "red house". If you only Buy one DVD this year make it this one. Its a slice of history but the time goes by to fast... Thanks for reading... Aww finally bed time!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than Gary's Montreux 2010 Blu Ray, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Blues for Jimi [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you read my review on Gary's last concert you will see the reasons why this far exceeds that release. Gary looks, sings, and plays better in this DVD recorded three years previous, but released one year after the 2010 Blu Ray. The best songs on here for me (not being super familiar with all of Hendrix's work) are "I Don't Live Today," "Fire," "Red House," "Hey Joe," and of course "Voodoo Child." Kind of depressing that Mitch Mitchell and Gary both died within years following this concert (and both loosely alcohol related deaths), but they really mesh in this concert. Gary knew how to play Jimi's style, and I really don't think they could have picked anyone better for this concert. There is also a CD of this concert, but for me the Blu Ray is the only way to EXPERIENCE this fantastic tribute concert. This is a really a tribute to Gary as well as Jimi, but it any case it rates five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for guitarists!, December 14, 2012
Gary doesn't just copy the famous licks and solos of Jimi. He plays in the style of Jimi, and really lets it fly. Plenty of camera zooms on his amazing fretwork, so it's almost an instructional DVD as well. Gary can't sing very well, and isn't much to look at, but who cares? He's burning up the fretboard like few othere can!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SHOW and Great memories!, February 11, 2013
I can count the number of reviews that I have done on one hand but felt compelled to write this one having been at this show. I know that it comes "kind-of" late as I have owned it and it has been out for some time. Let me first say that if you are a Gary Moore fan,a Jimi Hendrix fan or a fan of any great guitarist,buy this video and /or CD from Amazon.(And let's not forget Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell).
Gary's performance was part of The Jimi Hendrix Experience Live At Monterey Jimi Hendrix: Live at Monterey launch event which was preceded that evening by a screening of this film. The event was held at the Hippodrome in London and was to be broadcast live at several "nightclubs" throughout England,but that idea was scrapped for whatever reason. However,the event was professionally filmed and this is where we get this great performance of Gary Moore performing with Darrin Mooney,Dave Bronze,Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell!
It truly was a magical night capped off with Gary masterfully playing through a set of Hendrix classics! Gary applied his own unique style to these Hendrix classics and did an unforgetable,amazing job! And,as an extra special treat,playing alongside Billy and Mitch!
Just to clear up some confusion, Gary was actually in very good spirits that night and I actually talked to him at length after the show and he really enjoyed the night. The comment that he had made during Foxey Lady was "F*** off bastard" and he was calling out someone that was taking flash photos of him whilst he was playing. An absolute no-no that was annoying him.
Only the memory remains now of that night, but I am glad for this release. It has made it possible for me and many others to enjoy the memories and legacy of Gary Moore!
As far as "Hendrix-like" playing goes, I personally would suggest checking out Robin Trower,especially live material Living Out Of Time - Live.
I have been to many of his shows and being a Hendrix fan can tell you that closing one's eyes and listening to Robin play is an "experience". He has a new album comming out Roots And Branches and also still tours the States.

I hope that you have enjoyed this review and that you have found it helpful. I enjoyed sharing it with you. Keep the spirit alive! Gary,you are missed! As is Jimi,Noel,Buddy and Mitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous find!, September 7, 2013
I'm a longtime Hendrix fan but put off buying this concert because I wasn't familiar with Gary Moore. Then I saw Moore perform "Red House" on "The Strat Pack" DVD and that was enough to convince me I had to have this concert. (The "Strat Pack" DVD is apparently no longer available for Region 1.)

Likes: Video is sharp and clear and without special effects, the sound is well balanced and of consistent volume. Moore's ability to play "Hendrix style" is phenominal! When Mitchell and Cox join Moore for the last few songs and the chemistry between them is fantastic. In fact they enable Moore to stretch to a higher level of playing.

Dislikes: The concert was too short. The Band of Gypsys appear only on the last few songs, not that Moore's band is bad but there should have been two whole concerts- one with each band.

This DVD has motivated me to search for Moore's other works and to revisit other artists covering Hendrix's material.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine tribute from a legend himself!, November 8, 2012
Baberufus (West Jordan, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This DVD proves just how versatile a player Gary Moore was. Gary was one of the finest blues-rock guitarists who ever lived, leaving behind a staggering legacy of recordings to document his own greatness--he had no need to make tribute albums to other guitarists. But the fact that he did just shows his great character in showing respect to the masters before him. First there was the "Blues for Greeny" album dedicated to the great Peter Green, and now the Hendrix tribute DVD/album, "Blues For Jimi". As with the Green tribute album, Gary really nails the spirit and technique of the original master, and fittingly throws in some of his famed "blueshredding" for added effect here on this DVD! Great stuff! At first, he's playing a Strat with no whammy bar, and I thought, "Oh man, he's not going to use a whammy?!" But I should have had faith, as pretty soon, he grabs another Strat with a whammy, and boy, does he know how to use it! Jimi would be proud!

His rhythm section is also dynamite and excellent musicians in their own right. For an added treat, though, they give up their spaces to allow the legendary Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox to come out and jam with Gary for 3 numbers...fantastic! Actually, poor Mitch has trouble keeping up with the pace on one number, but still, what a thrill to see the actual '70 Hendrix rhythm section go at it again after nearly 40 years!

One non-musical aspect I couldn't really figure out was Gary's apparent hostile attitude toward the crowd...lol. At one point during "Foxy Lady", I believe, on one of the breaks where everything stops and he normally would say, "Foxy Lady!", he instead sneers, "Hey, f-- off, you!" Was someone heckling him?? And then when Billy and Mitch are onstage, after playing a number, Billy says to the crowd, "We love ya!", and Gary pipes in, "I Don't!...well, maybe some of you." LOL Not sure what that was all about!

Anyway, great CD...highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Moore was one of the Greatest Guitar Players, February 23, 2014
Any Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix fan will love it !! I bought the DVD and CD and glad I did !!

5.0 out of 5 stars music dvd, January 12, 2013
As probably the finest rock guitar player in the world , Gary Moore was a perfect choice to do this tribute to jimi, From the moment he steps out on stage he rips the living daylights out of every one of the songs he does. To say his playing is KILLER is just an understatement. His band is hot and plays the first half of the show then Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox play the second half, As they only played together the night before they are outstanding, This is one hell of dvd concert as Gary shows everyone why he was the consumet guitarist, and i believe jimi would have been proud of this performance. the cd is sold seperate and is just the awsome soundtrack of the dvd . If you play guitar or not you will not be dissapointed with either. I think the sound and video quality is fine on both cd and dvd. The passing of Gary Moore was a blow the music world and the same with Drummer Mitch Mitchell, quality guys and legends now of rock history as is the man they paid tribute to Jimi Hendrix.. RIP

Blues for Jimi [Blu-ray]
Blues for Jimi [Blu-ray] by Gary Moore (Blu-ray - 2012)
$19.98 $12.88