Bluray switches between full screen and letterbox??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2008 10:27:45 PM PST
D. Haskell says:
I got the Dark Knight on Bluray tonight. Watched some of it and some scenes display in full screen and some scenes are letterbox? Why would it switch back and forth?? Does this to everyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 10:42:59 PM PST
S. R. Smith says:
are the Full Screen scenes shots of the city???? If so, that's because the movie was shot for imax. I went to see the Dark Knight in an imax theater, and some of the shots of the city filled the entire screen, while the rest of the movie was in letterbox. GREAT movie going experience, btw!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 11:34:16 PM PST
TCS says:
I guess no one bothers to read the main feature disc specs on the back cover of the package...it clearly tells you that the movie is 16x9 variable 2.4:1 and 1.78:1 for the IMAX sequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 11:45:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2008 11:46:18 PM PST
i guess no one bothers to realize that most people won't even care about or even know what 16x9 variable means...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 11:45:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 9, 2008 11:45:46 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 6:50:32 PM PST
Damon says:
They are gonna learn quick what variable 16x9 means when they watch the bluray.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 3:01:54 PM PST
TheBrizz says:
To me, it was hardly noticeable. If I hadn't heard about it before I watched the disc, I honestly may not have noticed it at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 3:47:38 PM PST
Rubicon says:
The full screen shots are the IMAX shots. It was made that way. Check out the extras on disc 1 for more info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 7:45:14 PM PST
Paul Jones says:
I actually found it annoying. I loved the Imax scenes, mainly of sweeping City scenes from the air, but found myself disappointed having to watch the next scenes in letterbox format. Couldn't understand why it was just left in Imax.
There is no escaping with the digital copy either as the same thing occurs. Can't see how the wonders of Imax will blow me away on my iPod!
Overall a good movie and quite impressive BD-live.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 11:43:48 PM PST
J. Sheer says:
guys i love you all but quit your complaining to the people who dont like it.....This is the way it was meant to be seen. They specifically shot scenes with an IMAX camera first time it was ever done for a major motion picture........and i couldnt watch the thing in letterbox I like that it switches........Definetly worth it.......

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 9:05:44 AM PST
Neo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 3:18:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2008 3:19:33 PM PST
This is the way the movie was shot and shown in IMAX theaters. I recall at the time I saw this on an IMAX screeen that I didn't understand why the aspect ratio kept changing, but the very first Gotham Uncovered focus point (the only real special feature on the first disc) explains that the IMAX cameras record 1:78 and the makers decided to film many of the aerial shots in this format as they would be much more impressive in the full IMAX screen.

This means that many theaters, and indeed the DVD release, have had the shots masked and do NOT feature the full image. Its pretty much the same as getting a widescreen movie in pan-and-scan format. It appears that right now the only way to get the whole movie for your money is with the Blu-Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008 7:39:50 PM PST
E. Ranoco--sorry about your 360, but maybe the problem was trying to play a Blu-ray disc on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2008 1:20:39 PM PST
Warheart says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 7:18:25 AM PST
David Iacono says:
Excuse me Warheart,. When the 360 came out, you had to either sleep outside a bestbuy(which I did w/my girl friend) or spend $1000 with 1-8 games packaged through 3rd parties on Ebay. Plus at the time places like gamestop were offering bundles at first. I remember looking at amazon and seeing things like King Kong and other games released with the console you had to buy bundled. You still see it with the ps3 and wii. Go on ebay and you'll see people selling a system with a couple of unopened games. Anyway

I hate letterbox because when you buy 1080P TV with a bluray, surround sound, they should use the entire screen. If you were meant to see the movie in 2.4:1 then they should build TVs in that resolution. You're only going to get BURN IN with the stupid letter box. It ANGERS me to no end when I see letterbox

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 9:31:19 AM PST
ChadL says:
No matter what they make TVs, there are at least 3 formats of film (yea there's more: 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 4:3 and I think I remember a 1.81 too) ANYHOW, if you bought a plasma, you may get burn in, I don't know. I bought a Samsung LCD and I watch everything in it's presented format, and I have not had a bit of burn in, even temporary, and my TV is a year old. My friend has had a Sony LCD that was a few years old that would get temporary burn ins, but it would go away.

As far as the topic is concerned, I wanted this on blu, but with the IMAX 'feature', I will be getting the DVD (would have gotten the 2 disc, but heard how bad that is). Of course, I'm waiting to get it used, I didn't think the movie was that great, but I am a Batman fan, and will watch it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 10:26:23 AM PST
Letterbox wont cause burn in. Blacks never cause burn in. And its called aspect ratio. The aspect ratio(s) used is the artistic choice of the director making the movie. With this release of Batman you are seeing the movie as it was created to be seen. Saying that all Blu-Ray movies should be made in 16:9 is like saying you think all DVDs should be made fullscreen when all you have is a crappy old 3:4 tube. To me I always felt like I was missing out on a lot when I saw movie on dvd that was cropped to 3:4. I just feel like I'm being cheated out of seeing the movie as it was really made to be seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 12:42:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2008 1:01:53 AM PST
Neo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 6:10:29 PM PST
David says:
Peter you handled that well... when I read that letterbox would cause burn in I had to slap my forehead. That's just crazy someone would think that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 8:37:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2008 8:38:44 PM PST
Warheart says:
Yep it describes me perfectly: I harass people who are drunk and decide to talk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2009 10:37:26 PM PST
i think it's would be great if the studio made both 1.78/1.85 and 2.35 version both in the same disc with optional menu. i hate black bar on 2.35 version, but i still want to collect the original aspect ratio (2.35). hope all studio heard it !

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2009 4:39:46 PM PST
C. Spencer says:
Unfortunately, putting all of those versions on the same disc would cause alot of problems onto itself. Namely, they wouldn't fit. SO, the studios would either have to compress the movie more.... which probably would make quite a few people unhappy do to higher compression=lower visual quality. Although, they could compress the movie more using a different codec, that would still give very very good results, but that would require new boxes, i.e. disc players. I suppose that might be fixed with an update, possibly on the disc or as a download, but either way, that won't happen, because a different codec, would mean all kinds of devices, media players, so on and so forth could read and play the thing, or at least the files that are on the disc inherently.

So the other option would be to bundle several discs, which as we all know is already done for special features and such, but they would have to add yet another disc. Or start doing what DVDs originally did back in the day, and have double sided discs, one side was full screen, the other side was letterbox. But that would cost more money, and the movies would cost more.

But I am all for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 12:45:51 PM PST
M. Thompson says:
I'll bet he was referring to the burn in warning for plasmas when you're displaying 4:3 on a widescreen and have GRAY BARS turned on. Panasonic plasma manuals warn the owners about Gray Bar causing burn in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 1:43:01 PM PST
hey everyone, u want to tell me that i cant switch the imax feature off? that really strange

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 3:05:50 PM PST
Matt Dunlap says:
I found it to be odd when watching it for the first time, then reading this post thread I understand. This is an incredible movie during the IMAX scenes on my 120hz TV...

"I just want my phone call...boom" Oh man this movie rocks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2008
Latest post:  21 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release]
The Dark Knight [Theatrical Release] (Theatrical Release)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (2,504)