Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Bluray will be obsolete within two years

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2008 6:01:02 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008 12:16:09 PM PDT
Hey Stuart, are there any good web sites you could direct me to so I can learn more about this "in the works" technology? Also, how long do you think it will be before 1080p HDTV's will be obsolete? You can email me directly at markschu@hotmail.com if you wish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2008 7:24:15 PM PDT
Moray says:
James Cameron is pushing 2K 48P as a new HD standard. He did testing and to the human eye 2K 48P looks the same as 4K 24P. Movie Theaters will have 4K and we will get 2K.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 9:16:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2009 9:27:07 AM PST
I saw a few 4K displays at CES last week and indeed they do look great. Your 2 year prediction is overly ambitious however. 2K HDTV has been around for 10 years now and only 60% of Americans have one in their house. Of those 60%, about 60% are actually watching HD content. Broadcasters will have to invest in all new cameras and delivery equipment for 4K TV distribution. That will take many years to implement. Until then, we'll all enjoy Blu-ray disc and 1080i TV.

Since you work in the industry, I'm sure you realize that the resolution of 35mm film is only slightly higher than 1080p video so the realized resolution gain from 2K to 4K on most films will be very subtle. People aren't going to pay a premium for a subtle gain. For many consumers, the difference between 480p and 1080p is too subtle to justify the cost. So the transition to 4K will be a slow one.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 5:11:33 AM PST
Xanthene says:
Its been 2 years. Where can I buy one of these fancy 4k tv's? Oh, turns out you're full of ..it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 2:29:32 PM PST
Thomas S says:
Oh dear..I just purchased L.A. Confidential and I thought it looked amazing..I guess i'm wrong..My eyes have deceived me..and what's worse is Blu-ray is gone now..Thanks OP form informing us of this..but I read your post too late..

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:30:19 PM PST
Jane Doe says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 11:12:04 PM PDT
FromABuick6 says:
I'm patiently waiting for the day when they can finally beam a film directly into my brain so I won't need fancy discs, a player or a TV. Who's with me?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 11:51:58 AM PDT
Westy-SOCAL says:
The American consumer is very slow to react to the new display content available-whether it be Blu-ray or 1080P Displays.
Obviously those in the know see the huge improvement from Standard DVD to Blu-ray and players are down to almost $80.00 in many Big Box stores, yet only 25-to 30% of the consumers had upgraded at least their DVD Player to Blu-ray let alone to 1080P displays. How can anyone say Blu-ray is dead ???? Which BOZO stated that ???

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 5:21:15 PM PDT
icecube says:
curses!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2013 5:22:16 PM PDT
icecube says:
ha!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about