Blurred Lines [Deluxe Edition][Explicit]
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$14.19+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 1, 2013
I must say, lots of the reviews of the album that I am seeing are not really reviews, just one line sentences. And since this is the biggest song of the summer, I believe that this album deserves a proper review.

I have known Robin Thicke since 2008's Something Else. I always thought that it was a pretty good record, with nice production and a fresh sound. I never really followed him after that, until of course I heard Blurred Lines.

If you enjoy the disco/funk sound, than you most likely really liked this song. Catchy lyrics, good beats on the drums, it had everything fit for a summer song. Of course, fit it with a controversial Music Video, and you've got yourself a smash. Now, I am finding myself reviewing his brand new album. In a usual Thicke album, many of the songs are ballads, which is not a bad thing per say, but this album is up-tempo which is nice.

1- Blurred Lines- Heck of a song! It is catchy, the production is really nice , do I need to say more? 8.5/10

2-Take It Easy On Me- This track was produced by Timbaland, and I must say, this was not one of their best works. Coming off of a masterfully produced album known as "The 20/20 Experience" by Justin Timberlake (Seriously, Suit & Tie and Strawberry Bubblegum sound fantastic) but this song is just flat. This is not Thicke's best work, but not his worst either. That'll come later. It's not bad either, I'm sure it'll work in clubs, but I could have done without this track. 6/10

3-Ooo La La- The first of the Disco produced tracks. Thicke is now back in his element, and it sure sounds nice. This song reminds me a little of Blame It On The Boogie by- The Jacksons, and not in a bad way. 9/10

4- Ain't No Hat 4 That- The stand out track in my opinion. Great production (the percussion, keyboards, Robin's lyrics all sound pretty darn good) This song tells a story, which I always enjoy. Good disco, this song has it all! 10/10

5-Get In My Way- This one's good as well, in has a nice Kool & The Gang/ Earth Wind & Fire sound to it. 9/10

6-Give It 2 U- This song, in one word, sucks. It's a bomb. Insta-skipper. Dumb lyrics (I got a big d*ck for you) This is very surprising for Robin Thicke to be writing such as crappy song like this. 0/10

7-Feel Good- Robin is succeeding with the club sound here. Unlike Give It 2 U or Take It Easy On Me, he sounds like he is at ease, and comfortable. Fun track. 8.5/10

8-For The Rest Of My Life- The only ballad on this album, this one channels all his previous albums. Good ballad, nothing much to say. 8/10

9-Top Of The World- This is a great song to listen to on the road. Enjoyable, that's all I've got to say. 8/10

10-The Good Life- Great way to finish the album. I wonder if the lyrics to this song are autobiographical for Thicke? Who knows, but I know that it was a great decision to finish off the album with a Motown feel, similar to Bruno Mars on his latest album. 9/10

CONCLUSION

All in all, I enjoyed this album. Even though there are some stinkers on it, I believe that the positives outway the negatives on this album, and honestly, I don't think that this album disappoints, and is quite enjoyable. Hence, why I'm giving it a
4/5.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If there is something one can say about Robin Thicke, it's his tenacity to craft good pop songs without really trying. Through his early days as a songwriter and producer, he worked with Brandy, Brownstone, Sam Salter and Jordan Knight while barely being out of high school. In 2003, he released his debut "A Beautiful World"- an album that was an unusual hybrid of funk and psychedelic rock. He found his voice on his breakthrough sophomore effort "The Evolution Of Robin Thicke", where he would move into the territory of resident balladeer. He followed those up with 2008's "Something Else" and the 2009 about face "Sex Therapy", before settling in as a balladeer again on "Love After War". In spite of drawing a direct influence from Marvin Gaye, Robin has always had a dirty little secret. Behind those ballads was a man just waiting for the right time to unleash his inner dancing machine. He let his love for disco come through in spurts (See: The Walter Murphy sampling "When I Get You Alone", his 2008 single "Magic" and 2009's "Make U Love Me"). However, he decides to let it all out in the open in reference to his love for all things disco on his new album "Blurred Lines".

On this recording, Robin works with his longtime collaborator James "Pro J" Gass. However, he turns the production talents over to other people as well. He works with Pharrell Williams for the second time on the T.I. featured title track "Blurred Lines". Timbaland produces the Middle Eastern influenced song "Take It Easy On Me", while Dr. Luke (Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne) produces the graphic Kendrick Lamar featured "Give It 2 U". On the song "Ooo La La", Robin falls in love with a woman who has him wrapped around her finger. "Ain't No Hat 4 That" shows him dealing with a woman who would rather indulge in the finer things in life instead of falling in love. He sings of moving forward with being successful on "Get In My Way", while channeling the sounds of house music on the will.i.am produced "Feel Good". Even though most of the songs are uptempo, he does deliver ballads toward the end of the album. He brings in the dedication to his wife, actress Paula Patton on "For The Rest Of My Life" and eschews fortune and fame for love on "The Good Life". Overall, Robin Thicke made an excellent recording with "Blurred Lines". While he says it's the album he always wanted to make, it's really the kind of album he should have done a long time ago.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 31, 2013
Robin Thicke has remained consistent in producing quality music, he continues to do so with his latest concoction Blurred Lines. As others have mentioned, the album Blurred Lines is heavily influenced by Prince, Marvin Gaye, and elements of disco. This isn't necessarily a bad decision on Thicke's part, he somewhat went with different formula; he incorporated other solid producers such as Timbaland, Pharrell Williams, and Will.I.Am, the disco laced, head-bobbing tracks fused with Thicke's voice, and his niche for creative songs, definitely delivers a solid, fast paced, upbeat album. Blurred Lines definitely delivers a different sound. The songs may not have the same depth as some of his past albums, but the writing is far from juvenile as others have stated. Personally, I was somewhat turned-off with some of the lyrics on two songs; Blurred Lines, "you're the hottest b*tch in this place..."; and Give It 2 U, "I've got a big d*ck for U...". Referencing women as "b*tches" isn't being explicit, but outright disrespectful. It's one thing to reference sexuality in song, sexuality is cool, we all can appreciate and relate to sex. However, the lyric content on Give It 2 U isn't explicit, it's lack of class and vulgar. I suppose that's what the parental advisory sticker on the album cover is about. I would have rated the album with four stars, but due to the aforementioned fractures, I rate the album with three stars. Robin Thicke has enough talent that he doesn't need to succumb to such classless devices to sell songs, etc. Hopefully, this will not be a reoccurring theme for Thicke, and he remains true to his roots of producing timeless music. Again, in spite of the two fractures aforementioned, I view Blurred Lines as fun, party like, music that grabs you to move. Definitely an album to press play and let it go.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
In my opinion this is Robin's best album to date! I have all of his previous efforts and I have to say this album has a nice groove and just enough songs. A few of my favs are Feels Good - Ooh La La - Get In My Way - Give it To Me...in addition to of course Blurred Lines. If you are on the fence i would encourage you to give this CD a try, you won't be disappointed!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2013
I'm a 66 year old woman who is nuts about this song. It runs through my head day and night. Catchy beat grabs you and doesn't let go. Robin Thicke has finally arrived and everybody knows he's here!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 22, 2013
Beware! not clean as advertised so I can't play CD with kids in car. Most content will go over small children's heads. Profanity they can hear. Great album but disappointed about the false advertisement of a clean version.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2013
It's a Thin Line between love and Hate. I love the vibe of Blurred lines but hate the fact that it is just Got To Give It up. Marvin Gaye is one of my all time favorites so I know it when I hear it. There is no way to miss it. The rest of the CD is just hype with exception of Aint No Hat 4 That & Get In My Way are just watered down. His first CD made me believe he wanted to be a real artist but this sounds like Memorex.
on January 10, 2014
This kind of resurgence was real unexpected. If you can name any Robin Thicke songs from before 2013, I'll wait. He seemed like he was at a low in his career, until one summer smash catapulted him into the spotlight.

12 weeks is a long stay at number 1. It's enough to get you a few award show performances. Really, I have known about Robin Thicke since 2006. I first heard of him on Lil Wayne's Shooter from Tha Carter II. Check out that song if you are new to Robin.

As far as his albums go, I've never really latched on. This is his sixth cd, and from what I've heard, I think it's his best. We'll see if he is a one hit wonder.

1) Blurred Lines- The first single. I have to say I didn't like it at first, but it's a definite party boiler. Not front yard party. This is a huuuuge summer single. Real addictive, might not get you singing, but your foot will tap. 5 out of 5

2) Take It Easy on Me- A definite banger. The hook is amazing, better than Blurred Lines and the best so far. Check out this song if you like Robin Thicke and want some new songs by him. No Pharrell or T.I., but he does NOT need them. A summer party song. 5 out of 5

3) Ooo La La- Robin Thicke has really improved this album. His singing is top notch in the verses. The hook is not as good as the last two, but the singing is amazing. It's kind of close to Get Lucky. It's lush, so if you like that, you should enjoy it. 5 out of 5

4) Ain't No Hat 4 That- All of these records sound like a beach party, with cocktails and women. It's an upbeat record, and sounds like a Justin Timberlake record. Blurred Lines was originally made for Timberlake. This could have been a late single. 5 out of 5

5) Get in My Way- Kind of a 70s track. Not a club track, but upbeat and positive. I admit I like the singing. I think this one has to grow on you. 5 out of 5

6) Give It 2 U- The third single. The hook improves greatly from the last three songs. Robin Thicke has really improved as far as singles go. He can definitely song write, but if you notice, you've got a lot of club songs. This is great, it's where he belongs. Kendrick helps the song. 5 out of 5

7) Feel Good- The fourth single. The vocals are sugary, and it's pretty addictive. This is the most current single as of January 2014, and it hasn't charted. The hook is smoooooth. 5 out of 5

8) Go Stupid 4 U- A Latin sounding song. It's kind of lazy but it's a creeping track. I think this should be a track you check out once you like a handful of Robin Thicke songs. When you get to the hook its falsetto, and real kill. 5 out of 5

9) For the Rest of My Life- The second single. Kind of like the old Robin Thicke, and that means you will have trouble listening. I think his new style is more alluring. When he makes music for the club, he is at his best, especially with a great hook. 2 out of 5

10) Top of the World- Here is a huuge banger. It sounds kind of jazzy and there are raps opposed to singing. If the beat and hook weren't so good, I probably wouldn't like this song as much, but it's killer. I simply don't like when singers take up rapping. It doesn't happen for the whole song. 5 out of 5

11) The Good Life- Another dull song. It's about life's up and downs. Unfortunately Robin Thicke is not interesting when he's not in the club. I know Thicke has better ideas than this. Why not say what you do the day after the club? 1 out of 5

12) Pressure- I would say that this song is electrifying. He should have removed Good Life for this song. He's back on his upbeat music, and the hook's real great. This is on the deluxe version. 5 out of 5

13) Put Your Lovin' on Me- I think it's kind of airy and floaty. But it's a bit too left field. Sometimes strange can be a bad thing. 1 out of 5

Really Robin Thicke has dropped his best album, but he has a few kinks to work out. It's a new direction because I attempted to listen to his old music, and it takes patience. A LOT.

Thicke has his best work ever when he makes club music, with lots of gloss and shining production. I can rest assured that these are the tracks that people will head to first, especially if they are gassed up off of Blurred Lines.

Take it easy on me, feel good, give it 2 u, pressure, ain't no hat 4 that, and top of the world are the recommended tracks to check out first.

His only problem is he needs to find something to talk about outside of the party without being too slow of a song. On Robin Thicke's 2015 or 14 record, I hope he follows this album's path.

Pros:The summertime, party starters and boilers. This will get butts shaking. The first 8 songs.

Cons:The ballad, and when Robin Thicke is not in the club.

Great Music to Play While: Waking up
on August 13, 2013
Robin Thicke's new album rocks! If you like old R&B or Marvin Gaye with a twist, this album will not disappoint you.
on September 10, 2013
Being a married man and father, you'd think Robin Thicke would have enough sense to call it quits. Color me unimpressed with his womanizing lyrics, referring to us ladies as "animals" and implying that even if we don't want sex he knows we "want it" because it's "in our nature" and we're all good girls who need screwed to serve our purpose. Excuse me for not buying into that. It's unfortunate that such catchy beats are wasted on disgusting, sexist lyrics. I don't have the stomach to listen to any of his other music, but if what I'm reading is true and Blurred Lines is at the top of the pack, I'd say his music isn't worth anyone's time or money.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...