Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on December 18, 2010
My wife and I have been unhappy all these years with any fish sauce brand here in the US since they either have the unnatural sweet after taste (Thai fish sauce) or too strong of a smell and salty (Philippine fish sauce). No matter how we tried to mix or fix them, they still don't come close to the fine taste of quality fish sauce that we sorely miss (good fish sauce needs not to be mixed to taste good). My father, a Phan Thiet's native and his family used to own a Nuoc Mam factory therefore we know what true extra virgin Nuoc Mam should taste like!
Until not too long ago, I stumbled across this brand on Amazon, bought a pair ... and boy, my wife and I were blown away. We will be buying more as gift for our family and we're sure that they will be thrilled - We are huge fans of this brand now!

UPDATE - Feb 5, 2014
This old review that I submitted for the said product which had different name (albeit imported by the same seller), had different size and price hence the need for this review update.
The fish sauce was bought in Dec 2010 for 17.95 + 7.49 SH (package of 2 bottles of 500ML each). Besides larger size and lower price, I prefer the taste of the original one over this newer version!
on March 29, 2011
This is both a wonderful fish sauce with multiple possible uses, and a wonderful seller. I had a question about the "use by" date, and they responded quickly and completely. So, I feel I am able to both recommend the product and recommend the seller, Viet Phu Fish Sauce, without reservation. PS Try it instead of salt when you make a traditional chicken noodle soup. It adds an amazing depth of flavor. Yum!
on July 5, 2012
All my life, I have avoided canned anchovies, because they taste horrible. I read some wonderful things about this sauce on the internet, but it is made from anchovies. I considered it a real gamble to order a bottle of the Red Boat Fish Sauce.

WOW! This stuff is tasty and the flavor is so intense. I do not know anything about Asian cooking, but this sauce is truly nectar of the gods. A few drops of the fish sauce will add a truck load of flavor to your seafood dishes. I use it to reinforce the flavor of fish with a milder taste. I am finding it to be a very versatile flavor enhancer. Yesterday, I composed a dressing for a green salad. A few drops of fish sauce whipped into a little olive oil and rice vinegar produces a nice savory dressing.

As a another reviewer noted, this is a finishing sauce. I add it after the food is cooked. I believe the quality of the sea salt in this product makes a huge difference. If you want to add a savory flavor to your dishes, give it a try.

P.S.
I still hate canned anchovies.
on March 30, 2014
This is very special I understand why people rave about it's taste and will no doubt order it again. I knew I would get get just one, not two bottles as advertised, for fortunately I had read the reviews warning me about that. But people should not have to scroll down throught lots or reviews to find that out, and it makes both Amazon and Red Boat look bad. Amazon, how can you possibly let such blatant discrencies stand forever on your site like this?
on June 22, 2015
I had to take one star off because of the price. The product is great. My mother is from Vietnam, and she says this sauce reminds her of the pure fish sauces that they made back in her childhood. She said the other standard ones don't taste as good as this one. I found it because I read about it from a lot of clean eating and Paleo websites and cookbooks. I grew up with Vietnamese cooking and I have to say I agree with my mom on the quality. I went to the Asian grocery the other day, and found much larger bottles - 2 for $13.99. I won't be buying them from Amazon anymore.
on December 16, 2014
A great addition for those of us having to eat low FODMAP. Easy to use, adds a nice flavor undertone that is hard to describe, and not very aromatic, but oh so good cooked in a soup or sauce or stew, added to a salad dressing, sprinkled on rice - very versatile. And this version of fish sauce is free of all the chemical additives that so many of us react to. Now a staple in my pantry.
on January 7, 2016
My wife bought this - two bottles in fact - and she likes it for a few particular recipes that call for it. She says it's only available from a small family operated business in Asia and they make it all by hand. I'm clueless, I only know she's a great cook so I don't question her evaluations of ingredients.
on August 30, 2012
This is very tasty fish sauce. I didn't realize that there was such a range of flavors in different brands but now I am a fish sauce snob. I even use it in place of steak sauce. Definitely worth the extra price.
on January 3, 2015
The difference between Red Boat and other fish sauce is like the difference between Dom Perignon and cold duck. I'll admit that I have a lot to learn about using it, but the experimenting is great fun. It's my new secret weapon for boosting flavor in all sorts of dishes.
on July 13, 2013
I was excited to get the sauce to use; however, I was disappointed to find that the product had already expired over a month before. I received them on 7/12/13. The expiration on both bottles was 6/1/13. They sold an expired product, so if you recently ordered this ... check the expiration date on the bottle!