5.0 out of 5 stars A mandatory book for the would-be wooden boatbuilder
Published on February 4, 2001 by Joshua Paul Werblin

3.0 out of 5 stars In the search for answers and direction
I have worked as a carpenter professionally for thirty years and I have finally reached a point in my life where I would like to build something for myself. Why not a boat?

Published on October 4, 2009 by Flat Lander

5.0 out of 5 stars A mandatory book for the would-be wooden boatbuilder, February 4, 2001
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual (Hardcover)
This book is (or should be) truly mandatory for anyone constructing a boat or rebuilding a boat (sail or power) made of wood. It is an invaluable reference, and has a wealth of information and tips for the most experienced boatbuilder. Most importantly however, is that it paints a remarkably accuate portrait of what is involved in working with the media of wood and water. It will either encourage the motivated amateur, or discourage him or her with its no-nonsense explanation of the nature of such an undertaking.
In short, it makes life easier for *anyone* who works with wooden boats, sail or power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive text on boatbuilding, August 22, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual (Hardcover)
The Boatbuilding Manual is essentially a text book, in all sense of the word, of boatbuilding. It's a great introduction to boatbuilding for beginners and amateurs. If you're looking for a quick, purely instructional guide to building a seacraft, this might not be your cup of tea. But if you are looking for an in-depth, well-researched and well-presented book building a boat, then you have the right book.

3.0 out of 5 stars In the search for answers and direction, October 4, 2009
Flat Lander (Calgary, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual (Hardcover)

Upon the recommendation of a naval designer, I purchased a copy of this book and a couple of others. Having had no experience with boat building, sailing, or the like, I was in hopes of finding some answers to questions like, "How do I get started?"; "What order do you work in?" and "where do I go for materials and fittings?"

The first thing I discovered is that the terminology and language of boat building is far from anything I have known and the book helped a great deal with defining and aiding the understanding of the language. Next, the book opened up not only a whole new world of carpentry, but a history of the evolution of boat building through the various designs, styles, and methods of construction, and they are numerous.

This is both an entertaining book, if you like boats, as well as an educational book if you are searching to answer the questions that plague a non nautical person faced with the task of building a boat. In the case of the latter, sometimes the first reading is not enough, but the answers are there.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who wished to pursue the craft, with the warning that the Patinence required when reading to educate yourself, is proportional to that required to carry on the physical craft of construction. Take your time, work the math, and enjoy!

This will definitely remain a resource for me througghout the project.

4.0 out of 5 stars A one-book manual on how to build a boat., May 8, 2005
Robert S. Vannrox (wrentham, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully illustrated book, easy to read, and simple to understand. It is really all you need to build your own wooden book. It is inspirational and important at the same time. This would make a wonderful textbook for those whom wish to study the craft in a more rigorous academic environment. While it is a great book, I found some other books better as far as being more complete and up to date. I rated this book a four star rating for this, and only this, reason. I recommend it, and suggest that it would make a great addition to any library of book construction techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Introductory Text, April 22, 1998
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual (Hardcover)
This book is a wonderful introduction and reference work on the art of boatbuilding. Although I would love to see Mr. Steward do an online version of the book so that the techniques and materials would remain up-to-date, his methods and materials are time-tested and proven to work as is. There is no better work for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can use this book for ANY self-contained RV, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
Good book, covers more than you want or need to know. One book does it all. If you want to build a boat, get this book first. I'm using this manual to rebuild my travel trailer (yes, my travel trailer) since books on travel trailers don't really deal with how to refurbish them, only just maintain them. This book has a lot to say about framing, electrical systems, plumbing, layouts, materials, and waterproofing. Travel trailers should be built like a boat since water damage has a lot do do with why travel trailers need renovation. I'm still reading and I'm still riveted. This is a very good book. I might change more than I first figured on after reading this manual. Lots of good info in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the four books you really need if you want to build a wooden boat, December 15, 2013
Kiwi writer (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
Here's my list: Boatbuilding Manual, Pardey's Details of Classic Boat Construction, Chapelle's Woodenboat building and Binghams book on the details. With those on hand, almost every question I've wondered about has been answered.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you Love tradional boats You'll Love this book, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
I had seen and wanted this book for many years, it is a great asset to my collection of books and has added greatly to the knowledge of how to build a boat in the traditional manner. This book provides great insights into traditional time honoured methods of boat building and broadens the knowledge base to an already fascinating subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - it got better, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
A friend showed me the first edition of this book and offered to loan it to me. After a careful scan through it I gratefully declined his offer because I knew I needed it for my library. Searched Amazon for the title and saw it is now in it's 5th edition with more pages and updated data. I received the book in 3 days and I just finished a cover to cover read. I told my wife that by page 40 I had learned enough answers to some of my questions that the purchase had already paid off. I am a model builder not a full size boat builder but the information applies to building a detailed scale model as well as a full size boat. Anybody contemplating building a wooden boat should have this in their library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, April 29, 2014
This review is from: Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition (Hardcover)
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Not only an excellently written book but well researched and informative. The Author really knows his stuff. Overall a great read. 5 stars

Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition
Boatbuilding Manual, Fifth Edition by Robert M. Steward (Hardcover - December 20, 2010)
$40.00 $25.69