5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
Published 15 months ago by Debbie Crosby

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more
A little background about me since I find it helpful when I read reviews for exercise DVDs: 39 year old man who's in good shape and would be considered intermediate to advanced. I workout and run (a little) six to seven times a week. I pretty much kept pace with the performers in these workouts.

I've done all of the workouts on these five DVDs following the...
Published 12 months ago by stlfan74

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Bob Harper: The Skinny Rules Workout Series 5 DVD Set (DVD)
I couldn't wait to order this DVD set, I mean its Bob Harper, right? Checked out the DVDS & I thought, ok, how can these DVDS do anything, they are only 15 minutes(plus warmup)? They are amazing! Bob delivers! I workout quite a bit and I am always trying to find way to challenge my workouts. After week one, I feel stronger and more conditioned. Muscles were sore but that just means, I'm working muscles that weren't being focused on. You will sweat your butt off and that is what I wanted. So happy I made this purchase.....just started week 2 can't wait to see how this week shapes up!!! I highly recommend The Skinny Rules Workout set!

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected more, January 8, 2014

I've done all of the workouts on these five DVDs following the 30 day calendar, and while they will leave you sweating at the end they have their faults.

The good:

They are effective with little wasted time. You basically workout relentlessly for 10 to 20 minutes. While they are separated into different sections (Cardio, Core, Strength, and Abs) they are all at their core cardio routines.

The Yoga routines (two at 30 minutes each) are nothing groundbreaking, but are well thought out. Nothing too difficult, but not overly slow. I can see using these in the future for days when I need to tack on some quick stretching / yoga after a workout.

Bob's instruction is good. He's engaging and moves things along. My only previous experience with him is his Inside Out Method Yoga for the Warrior DVD.

The bad:

In a word: repeatability. I can't see doing these often and certainly not 30 days of them again (the three disc set has a 90 plan, which I think would be even more dreadful). The reason why is that each workout of the day includes between two and four exercises repeated for either a set length of time or a number of rounds. It just isn't all that interesting.

The variety is pretty limited. The first three workout discs (not including Abs and Yoga) are at their heart burpees, squats, and dumbbell thrusters. While effective I just found it a little old after a while.

The warmup is the same on all the discs except Yoga. I usually don't mind the same warmup repeated as I've done the same warmup everyday for three months at a time before (Supreme 90), but this one is long and just feels out of place. At about 11:30 it is at least one third of the total workout time (it is actually longer than Cardio 4 WOD). Lots of inchworms followed by upward dogs and squats. I think it could have benefitted from more variety and about five less minutes.

No cool down. Nothing. You just walk away.

Most of the time I used these as a warmup for other exercises since they aren't very long. I also didn't watch the two to four minute intro to each WOD where he explains the exercises.

These are not bad routines and will leave you feeling like you got a good workout. I think I would enjoy them more if I added them to the end of my workout or substituted a different warm up, since I found myself dreading the one included. If you are pressed for time that is certainly a benefit as well.

The discs come in five individual cardboard sleeves. Nothing fancy and no case to keep all of them together. I'm sure that is a product of how there are sold - individually, set of three, and this set of five.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, November 4, 2014
These were a huge disappointment! I should have researched a little more before my purchase. They are incredibly repetitive so I had no desire to do each DVD more than two times. They may be effective but they're boring! I also like a longer workout. Each of these are too short and specific for my taste. Lots of squats also so avoid if you have any knee issues. Bob has better material out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointed!, November 16, 2014
I am a huge, huge fan of Bob Harper and I have most of his DVD workouts. I was really looking forward to doing his Skinny Rules Workout series, but to say I was disappointed on how repetive each DVD was is to say the least. If these discs were my first DVDs of Bob, I would have never purchased another one. Thankful I know how great his workouts normally are. I would not recommend this set at all. Having people doing the same repetion of the same workouts for 6 to 14 minutes is totally boring. I like a full complete workout, not a bunch of short workouts that are basically the same moves over and over again. Bob has many other fantastic DVDs, so do yourself a favor and try his other workouts instead. Also, I think he should be doing the workouts too!

3.0 out of 5 stars tough, repetitive workouts, January 16, 2015
RN (Columbus, ohio) - See all my reviews
A few of the workouts were good and not difficult. Some were just not what i wanted in a workout--like all the burpees-ugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the skinny rules workout series 5 dvd it's the best dvd i did thanks Bob Harper, December 22, 2014
I'm very excited since a begin bob harper the skinny rules workout series 5 dvd it's the best dvd i did thanks Bob Harper

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Harper is awesome!, August 23, 2014
workouts are 30 minutes or less, but you still get in a great workout!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Work Out, January 4, 2014
Kirsta Scranton (Cedar Rapids, IA) - See all my reviews
these are great work outs. Though they are not for beginners. I started working out again after back surgery and these are a little too hard (for now anyway).

5.0 out of 5 stars best workouts ever!, December 21, 2013
I recently purchased this set. I'm very happy with the workouts! I would definitely recommend! I'm a huge fan of insanity and Bob's workouts are ever BETTER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Harper Never Disappoints, March 21, 2014
love Bob Harper in everything he has done and this is not a disappointment. he is tough and has a way of making you want to work harder. never would hesitate to recommend this set to anyone.

Bob Harper: The Skinny Rules Workout Series 5 DVD Set