4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Teen/Tweens
I like the overall theme of this book. Yes, it is a beauty book, but it isn't just a bunch of tips on how to apply eyeliner properly. It talks about confidence, eating right and taking care of ALL of you. The information in it is about building up the whole girl, not just putting a layer of color over what ever it is you don't like about yourself.

There are...
Published on November 18, 2010 by Charity A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for beginners
Published on July 31, 2011 by M. Gondek

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Teen/Tweens, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Bobbi Brown Beauty Rules: Fabulous Looks, Beauty Essentials, and Life Lessons (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

There are a few times in the book that it seemed like a few girls were over-done, but that wasn't emphasized so much as finding the right amount for you. It gives you tips for your skin tone, skin condition and emphasizing the positive. It talks about every day and prom make-up. The stories in it are real, engaging and sometimes funny. There are also interviews with models and talk with sports celebrities. Overall, this book is a wonderful resource.

I would however say that marketing it for "twenties" as it states on the cover is a bit much. Unless it is a twenty that has absolutely no idea about make-up or basic self-care or possibly someone just leaving their teens, this idea is a bit far-fetched. Most of the tips in here are not written for a grown woman to use. They are more like a starter guide that helps you decide what you're trying to do and how to get there.

It is a great book with a wealth of information in it. I would recommend it for any young girl after the age where The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library) becomes useless or too immature, though that book is great up to early teens, in my opinion. But, if you have a teen that you want to give them a book full of great information written in a way that will hopefully teach them while boosting their confidence, this is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty Rules Rules!, December 16, 2010
TechMSS (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I loaned this book to a beautiful 29-year-old lady friend. Here is her review:

I know. I know. Bobbi Brown's Beauty Rules SAYS it's for teens and twenty somethings....and a few weeks ago I turned 29....for the fourth time. And I know the book is full of things that are useful for the youth of our country and their fragile self esteem and limited make up application knowledge. Yes, I know I am not SUPPOSED to be the one reading this book. But I LOVED IT. Yeah, it is a book I wish I had in my teens and twenties, but I certainly am grateful to have it now.

There was a shocking amount of basic make up application knowledge that I had no idea about. Do you know you should put concealer on UNDER base? I had no clue. Do you know the differences between lip glosses and lip balms? Do you know that the pointy make up brush they sell you at make up counters is good for something other than getting the grout clean in the tiny spot between the sink handles?

The most ironic part about this book is that while it is targeted for the youngins, a lot of busy Mommies will benefit from the book. It's chock-full of easily digestible and applicable tips. And when you are busy getting lunches packed and laundry folded you don't necessarily have time to work on perfecting a full blown smoky eye...so even though Ms. Brown does a fantastic job of teaching more complicated looks, several of the make up tips for teens require just a few easy steps and attain a nice natural look. A look perfect for going to the grocery or picking up carpool when you don't want to look like a shlubby over tired Mommy... yet do, far too often.

And aside from all this newfound knowledge, seeing all the makeovers was great fun... even if the girls getting them wouldn't know a crow's foot if it kicked them in the face. There are great stories about children growing up and out of their awkward phases, which will come in handy when my 5 year old hits that unfortunate tween stage. And as an added bonus, there is something about nearly every type of insecurity you could have about yourself, and turns it into something that will make you feel pretty.

Overall, this book is a must have for anyone who gives a darn about the way they look. It delivers genuinely useful pointers. It's an easy, yet entertaining read. It makes you feel good about yourself. Insecurities and limited knowledge about make up might be more prevalent in the younger crowd, but I'm 32 and I still need someone else to tell me that all the things thatmake my face different from a magazine model's make me beautiful and special. So thanks, Bobbi. I owe you one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty from the inside out. No offensive photos., January 17, 2011
Rachel Himes (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, let me start off by saying that this book IS good for 20 and 30 somethings. The information contained here is excellent, essential information on health, wellness and the proper application of make-up as well as hair care. Not everyone will need to read the entire book, but the book does have something for everyone.

The number one thing that I love about this book is NO TRASHY PHOTOS! One with a very low-cut shirt, and some young teens in beach wear. I have read books by a number of make-up "artists" and my 2 huge complaints are that most of them never talk about the effect of diet and exercise on beauty - big mistake. The other is that the pictures are usually either sensual or have blatant nudity. In a world that pushes "idealism" of body and image to girls at a young age, I am fed up with seeing that crap shoved down my throat in every book on beauty. I am especially tired of seeing the "model" image displayed as the "norm". Not all girls are skinny, and sexy does not equal beautiful. The last thing I want my young daughters to see are photos of stick-thin, mostly naked or completely nude, surgically enhanced women, preaching through photos that this is what we should all look like.
Thank you, Bobbi, for sending a different message.

The chapters include:

Foreword:
I am a work in progress. A brief introduction by Hillary Duff - a confession from a lovely celebrity that we all have "flaws" and not to let them stop you from becoming your best self.

1) Bobbi Bares All
Bobbi shares her own history and insecurities and some "real" photos from her collection. Also, her top 10 "rules", which I won't spoil, but they empasize good manners and common courtesy that makes us beuatiful in a REAL way.

2) Beauty Begins
Has great pictures of little girls playing "dress up" and talks about our early fascination with "bling". She addresses eating well, exercise, deodorant, sunscreen, makeup, hair removal, hair coloring, and braces/dental hygiene. Just a brief bit on each.

3) Feeling Good In Your Skin
Cleaning, toning, moisturizing and dealing with blemishes and some body skin care. Discusses bronzing and fake tanning or going "porcelain" plus a quick interview with a top dermatologist on skin-care.

4) Beauty From The Inside Out
Very basics on exercise and nutrition and why they matter.

5) Be Who You Are
She covers a variety of figures and finding a role model to match yours. Also covers "flaws" like strong noses, braces, freckles and glasses. Some sound advice on tatoos and playing with modern nail styles.

6) Make Up 101
Step-by-step of application techniques and tools with photos for each application.

7) The Face
Foundation, concealer and blush. How to choose, how to use.

8) The Eyes
Mascara, brows, liner, shadow and color.

9) The Lips
Colors, matching to skin, comparing lipstick "kinds", application and mixing.

10) The Hair
Interview with Eric Dominguez (the hair stylist for this book) Covers how to keep it healthy and choosing a style for who you are.

11) Makeovers
Beautiful, simple before and after pics of teens with and without make-up. Unlike many makeovers I've seen in books, these are makeovers that look like real people would wear in the real world. Not something outlandish for a photo layout. Lots of great looks, many ehtnicities and real women, not just models.

12) Global Gorgousness
Make-up tips for ethnic beauties.

13) Total Style
Tips and an interview with Jenna Lyons, top stylist for J. Crew. These are very basic. For a deeper look at finding your own style I recommend In Style magazines fashion guides. But this is a good overview.

14) Party Time
Not "dance party" but bar and bat mitzvahs, birthdays, proms and formals. How to glamourize your total look.

15) Beauty Style
Preppy, Sporty, Polished/Professional, Party/Club, Edgy, Romantic, Black Tie and Photo ready. How to adjust your make-up look for these styles and occassions.

16) Model Life
Interview with Coco Rocha. A top fashion model who will not do nudity or pose with cigarettes. Also an interviw with Manda Garcia, a modeling mom.

17) Moms and Daughters
Beautiful pictures of moms and their girls as well as some tips on appreciating each other. Includes some Moms who are grown-up models

18) Lets Hear It For The Boys
Bobbi fields some questions she's encountered from nephews and other boys about image and good grooming.

19) Ten Years Later
Interviews with young women and "what I wish I had known" advice from their preteen and high school years.

Overall, I can't complain about Bobbi's book. While she could go a little deeper on some subjects, this book is an overview of how all of these aspects contribute to beauty. The only thing I would have added is suggestions for further reading on some of the subjects. For example, I recently read a book by Tosa Reno for which Bobbi wrote the forward. In the forward, I learned the Bobbi has been following Tosca's plan for health and fitness. I always like to know who the "experts" go to for advice in these instances.
Other than that, this book, like all of hers, is real and very well done. She's emphasizing "total beauty" and not just selling expensive makeup products or model images. Thanks, Bobbi, for remembering that we don't all walk the red carpet or plan to pose for Victoria's Secret in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shows a girls' beauty from the inside out, and how less is more, September 26, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Bobbi Brown did an excellent job all the way around on this book, which gives makeup and beauty advice to teenagers and women in their twenties. Not only does it give the basics of cosmetics, like mascara application and tinted moisturizer, she does it in a 'less is more' fashion. Not what you'd expect from someone selling her own makeup line, huh? Bobbi Brown is showing young girls that they can look beautiful in just the skin they were born with, but shows them how to enhance with a few tools of the trade. The book starts off with a wealth of information about building beauty from the inside out, with chapters on nutrition and exercise.

The book is richly illustrated with full color shots of beautiful women and girls, before and after putting on make-up. This is just the thing for young women learning how to wear cosmetics, since it stresses inner beauty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good resource for beginners, July 31, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the kind of book I wish I'd had as a teenager, to give me tips and pointers on skin care, make selection, and application. There are great photos and how-to's, as well as good product explanations. That said, I doubt there's anything here that isn't already covered in the average magazine, and a resourceful teenager has probably already found most of this information online. As a gift, it's an attractive, useful book, however, and collects everything in a handy reference guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be sure to read the subtitle!, October 5, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't read the subtitle of this book before I got it and realized that it was geared toward tweens only after I read the section on "When You Should Start Wearing Deodorant." So that was disappointing. I do think, however, that this make-up/life coaching book would be relevant and helpful to girls ages 8 to 15 or so. It does have a short section in the back for boys, but what boy would ever pick up this book?

I like that Bobbi Brown emphasizes healthy living through a good diet and moderate exercise. She also gives the basics on good skin care. (On a side note, I am curious to know the ingredients in her make-up line and how toxic they are. I could only find one of her products listed in the Cosmetics Database (.com), but it contained a lot of bad, cancer-causing ingredients. I hope more of her products get rated soon.)

The tone of this book is easy-going, casual, and down-to-earth. Bobbi Brown strikes me as someone who is honest and comfortable in her skin, and that comes across. In my younger days, I probably would have enjoyed giving Beauty Rules a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakthrough for my granddaughter, March 31, 2011
Bobbi is so real and earthy that teens even rebellious ones have to stop and listen to her advise. My 14 yr old granddaughter did. Thankful for the insite to help get her off to a smooth start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beauty is more than makeup, October 26, 2010
K. Miller (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is NOT a book for those who already know the basics of good skincare (wear sunscreen, use moisturizer), haircare (step away from the flat iron and embrace those curls), fashion (wear what suits your body, find inspiration everywhere), and makeup (use sparingly to let your natural beauty shine through).
This IS a book for those just starting to take a greater interest in their appearance- think tweens and early teens. The idea is to give you all the great advice now so you can find your beauty confidence before entering your twenties. Be sure to check out the pages and pages of makeovers (my favorite part) for ideas on how you can enhance your look or even transform!!
Loaded with tons of color photos, this book is full of inspiration and positive messages (be who you are, feel good in your skin, etc.). I expected it to focus mainly on makeup as the author is the founder of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, but it really addressed all aspects of beauty: self esteem, skincare, hair, fashion style, exercise, etc. The book doesn't go into super detail on each aspect but does a great job of highlighting the important parts. Surprisingly there is even a chapter on modeling and a chapter for the boys with hints and tips you can share with your boyfriend, brother, or best friend (think remedies for chapped lips, unibrows, stinky feet).
Basically all the tips and tricks I've picked up from reading beauty magazines over the years (I'm older than the target audience) are packaged neatly in this colorful book. I didn't learn anything new from reading it, but I did enjoy the positive messages and the beautiful photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book!, October 28, 2012
I was looking for a book that had some good makeup ideas. I saw this book in Seventeen magazine and it looked good. I typically wear "boring" makeup, and I wanted to spice it up a little bit! This book has very good tips on makeup; like how to make your eyes pop, applying blush, what to do if you have pimples, and a bunch of other great things. If you are a girl and you have NO IDEA how to put on makeup or you don't even know what makeup is this is a great book to follow because it shows you how to put makeup on the right way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for a teenage girl who wants to find herself, December 26, 2011
Casadecruz "Casa" (Behind the Orange Curtain, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for Christmas for my 17 year old daughter. She had expressed an interest in makeup for the first time. She loved the book. She and I sat together and read it from cover to cover on Christmas Day. What makes this particular makeup book stand out?

1_ So many makeup books are techniques and step-by-step manuals for achieving celebrity looks. This isn't that book. This book is about enhancing who YOU are. Indeed, this book is full of makeovers that are natural, everyday and -surprise!- teenagers look like teenagers!

2_ The voice that the author uses is like a helpful aunt or BFF who just wants you to be the best you can be. Weight is addressed briefly by mentioning healthy eating habits and being comfortable with your body. I loved the common sense tone and my daughter (who is a size 2) found it very comforting.

3_ Unlike some books that are a laundry list of all the products you need, and where to buy them, this book doesn't "sell" anything. Bobbi Brown has an entire makeup line sold at better department stores, but it isn't pushed. Except for a couple of photos showing the brand name on a lip gloss as it is being applied, the approach is very, very low key. There isn't even any appendix. The only reference to the cosmetics is on the book jacket in the form of a QR code you can scan that leads to the author's web site.

I was very impressed with this book, and honestly, this is the way it's done. After reading the book, we will now go and search out her makeup. And the main reason is because she didn't push it.

Well done.