Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bobbi Brown Beauty
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 7, 2002
If you're looking for some average everyday faces to feel like you fit in......don't look here.....
I had high hopes I'd learn alot from Bobbi.....unfortunately she really did not succeed at passing on her proficient make up application skills. I hadn't seen the book at all before ordering so I had no idea what to expect. I had hoped she was going to take the typical modern woman like myself (average 35 yr old)and step us through some make up application. Instead ...the book is filled with pictures of Magazine cover models ..mostly under 25 who've never known fine lines and the struggles of applying foundation on wrinkled skin. Not to mention that Bobbi has lots of photos of women bearing the kinds of make up application techniques.....she says she doesn't advocate..such as eyeliner on the inner rims..
Overall....I didn't come away feeling like I got my money's worth....I did however learn some perspective on Bobbi personally..and although I found that interesting...it won't help me look any better tomorrow... sorry Bobbi!
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this book based on the recommendation of my sister-in-law, who has worked at several department-store makeup counters. She said that Brown's book had a lot of really great information, especially for a novice makeup wearer like me. However, I found the book to be lacking in specific techniques for applying makeup.

Some sections were fairly thorough, but most (especially the section on doing eye makeup) remained at a really general level. The only main piece of advice I got from the book is to wear yellow-based foundation, concealer, and powder. A lot of the other information Brown gives is just too general; using some diagrams and showing color variations would have made it much more practical.

Last year, I purchased Sonia Kashuk's _Real Beauty_, and I definitely recommend that book over this one. Kashuk's book shows detailed photos of her makeup techniques so you can really see how a professional makeup artist applies makeup.

I wanted to like Brown's book, but found it not as helpful as I hoped it would have been!
on August 30, 1999
I also have other beauty books, like "Making Faces", "Beauty Bible","The Art of Makeup". But I find, this one is the most useful!! Maybe the other book have very beautiful or even dramatic pics, but are those looks suitable for everyday-beauty? I don't think so. Whatever your are new or expert of makeup, this book is worthy to buy and read again, and again! All the basic techniques and ideas will help you to create your OWN beauty style for an elegant, won't-updated look.
on October 30, 2000
I'm not a makeup maven, not by a long shot. Up until last week, I was a stay-at-home mom who knew very little past a little lipstick and the absolute basic brushes. I picked "Beauty" up because I was interested in sprucing up my look a bit for when I do leave the house, for church, various special occasions and errand running. Just because I spend a good portion of my time indoors doesn't mean I have to look like I just rolled out of bed when I go out. I'm still a stay-at-home mom, but my look more closely reveals how wonderful I feel on the inside. "Beauty" addresses the basics of make-up, from tools, to easy application, to how-and where-to shop for make-up. Bobbi also talks at length about loving the looks that God gave you. There are separate chapters on Black, Asian, and Latina beauty, as well as wedding day beauty (oh that I had this book on MY wedding day four-and-a-half months ago!) and make-up for photography and television. When they say ULTIMATE, they weren't kiddin'. This is a good reference for beginners and the experienced alike. My husband is a theatrical make-up artist, and even he found a little useful information. This is a comprehensive, not to mention concise, addition to any beauty library. I made a very smart buy!
on October 22, 1997
An excellent basic book for those who don't know a whole lot about makeup as well as for those who do. The emphasis here is on attaining a natural, finished application look without the obvious "Ah, she's wearing makeup!" A comprehensive guide, it covers everything from moisturizing, to cleansing, to sun protection, to why not to use white eyeliner.
For those people looking for more "fun" and "experimental" looks, though, I would recommend Kevyn Aucoin's _Making Faces_ instead.
on July 10, 2001
Bobbi Brown Beauty is a basic book for learning to love and take care of yourself. The main focus is making yourself look presentable and "naturally beautiful" without using lots of makeup. It tells you what you'll need for glowing skin, and includes application instructions for day and night makeup, which all take under 20 minutes-practical and easy. Basically, the focus of this book is functional "no-nonsense" makeup- the basics on skin care, brushes, tons of tips and instruction on makeup (all natural), what to spend most of your money on, and general care of yourself (healthy diet, etc..).
I was looking for a fun book that I could play around with. Bobbi Brown Beauty lacks variety , and is basic and boring if what you're looking for is fun, glamorous, made up looks --which is why I only rated it three stars. Look to this book if you love the no-makeup look, are pressed for time, or have never worn makeup before and need a place to start. (This is a great starting place). ...
on October 25, 2002
This book is organized beautifully and is full of all the makeup advice you will ever need. It is easy to understand and the photos are pleasing to look at. It has chapters on each type of makeup (foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick), as well as skin care, makeup tools, makeup organization and storage, etc. It tells you how to make a "flaw" a signature feature you can be proud of, how to do your makeup for an interview, and more. It contains practical advice about how to find your own makeup style, how to choose colors for your skin type, and how to be natural beauty by using secrets of the trade.
This book is not about becoming something you are not by painting and contouring your face, it's about working with what you have and making the most of the features you were blessed with. It is an education in basic beauty techniques that will help you look fabulous, no matter who you are.
I am 29 years old and I knew a lot about makeup and felt pretty good about how I looked before I read this book, but I learned a few simple things that have helped me look in the mirror and see how beautiful I can really be. (Her tip on yellow-toned powder is my favorite!) I highly recommend it for women of all ages and skin-types.
on August 21, 2001
I am so disappointed in this book. I will not buy so much as a lipstick from her again. I bought this book only to discover: 1. My biggest complaint - She has pages and pages of the "most beautiful and stylish women of all time" and there is not an African American face in the entire bunch (except in the black chapter). It's extremely narrow minded that her standards of beauty are so limited. I discourage all Asians, Blacks, and Latinas from buying this book. She has these "ghetto chapters" where she addresses women with "special beauty needs," namely, they're black, Asian, or older. For black women, she seems to focus on lips, answering questions like "How can I make my lips smaller." Yes, she issues a little disclaimer that she thinks full lips are beautiful, but it doesn't negate what she implies through the pictures for 241 straight pages. 2. She doesn't give any detailed instructions for applying makeup. 3. ALL of the tips and advice she gives are common knowledge to anyone who regularly reads women's magazines.
To people of color - don't waste your money buying this book. You don't exist according to this book, or you're somehow different enough to need a special chapter. Who wants to be treated like a freak when skin is skin - she could have done a better job of integrated older women and women of color throughout the book. To European women - The photos that she has in the book are gorgeous. Variation within your group is celebrated as it should be. But please, have empathy. Imagine if you were part of a group that is not portrayed as extensively and as beautifully in the book (for example, there are no women in the book over a size 6).
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2001
In today's day and age appearance really matters. That's why this book is so great. I've seen countless ladies with tacky, loud or unflattering makeup that has thrown off an otherwise polished look. Bobbi Brown's approach to makeup will help you avoid that sort of mistake. Whether you are a young professional woman who's looking for a more serious look or you are an older lady who would just like to feel beautiful in your own skin, this is a great resource. It will teach you the overall concepts and (most importantly) the specific techniques for applying cosmetics in a way that enhances your natural beauty. You won't look made up, you'll look gorgeous.
on January 24, 2006
I actually got this book in 1998-- when I was 19. In between then and now, I've never really bothered with makeup, since I think I look just fine without it. However, after going out on dates, to parties, and hanging out with people, I realized I have no frickin' clue how to do makeup even if I want to.

So, I picked Bobbi's book back up.

It's a great book for me-- someone who has no clue how to do makeup. If you're already well-versed in the basics, move on. This book teaches you how to select makeup, brushes, and other tools, and how to do BASIC application techniques. Which is great. For me.

Besides the "natural beauty" theme throughout the book, there's also the "Bobbi is awesome" theme, which is vomit-worthy. I mean, is it really necessary to have a section for designer testimonials about how great Bobbi is? Will that make us apply makeup better???

Also, I strongly object to her advice that you need to put on concealer and lipstick if you're dropping the kids off at school in your sweatpants. Let's be realistic, Bobbi.