5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and useful book.
Bobbi Brown isn't about makeup trickery and techniques designed to alter the shape of a feature or make an average woman look like a drag Marilyn Monroe. If you are looking for this kind of book--as I suspect some of the other reviewers were--look elsewhere. What she is about is teaching a woman to look and feel her best, and this book does an excellent job of showing...
Published on November 30, 2008 by J. Lynch

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...
I bought this book hoping for more but Bobbi Brown did not deliver.

PROS:
-This book has beautiful product photographs
-Ms. Brown's blush application technique produces WONDERFUL results
-Lovely models of all colors showcase the diverse range of what beauty really is
-Concealer/corrector application technique also is great
-Final...
Published on May 26, 2009 by Amazon Junkie

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyday to Film Makeup, November 21, 2008
This is one of those yummy books with glossy color pages that smell good! Everything you need to know about makeup is included in this volume from equipment to the "Ten-Step Guide to Perfect Makeup." Tips for advanced makeup care for fashion shows, television, and photography have a chapter all to themselves. The history of makeup in chronological order and "Who's Who in Makeup" are two delightful surprises at the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Basic, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro (Paperback)
The "application" portion of the book (1st half of book) is extremely basic. If you've been applying makeup for more than a year, you already know how to do what she instructs. I was really hoping for some real problem solver ideas. For "problems" she uses models who seem to already have a face full of foundation b/c you can't see their "problems" that need to be fixed. I wish she would have models with absolutely no makeup so we could see a real transformation when hiding dark circles or pimples etc. If she couldn't find models who didn't look photo-shopped the moment the awake in the morning, she could have gotten very attractive "regular" women to transform with makeup. I'm not talking about turning a plain Jane into a movie star or drag queen. I'm talking about women with real, *visible in the "before" photos* skin issues! We all have them even if they are minor. Wish I would have gotten Jemma Kidd's book. May order that to see if it has any actual transformations & not just "Photoshop Perfect to Super Photoshop Perfect"! The 2nd half of the book is for makeup artists so it's useless for regular women. That wouldn't have mattered at all though had the 1st half of the book had some new/special information that most women already know anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars First makeup book, November 8, 2010
I was looking for a beauty book to be able to get tips on how to apply makeup. It's a great book for beginners like myself. It teaches you step by step how to apply makeup, skin products, and healthy eating. I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to start trying all of the makeup tips.

1.0 out of 5 stars shouldve listened to previous reviewer, August 8, 2009
Anna B (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This book is probably best for a preteen or for someone who has absolutely positively no makeup experience/knowledge. I thought this book would provide insight into some more advanced makeup techniques, more graphs and how to looks. But only consisted of a few basic tutorials, which I didnt find very informative or well explained. I also didnt like that she only provided HER makeup line products, particularly colors that go well with a skin/hair/eye color.

anyway, this book was nothing what I expected, and it is certainly NOT for an advanced pro. It contained nothing that I couldnt/wouldnt be able to learn from beauty sites, blogs or forums.

I am returning this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not For The Average Consumer, March 10, 2009
Codi79 "Codi" (Smalltown, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I really didn't think this book was very good for the average consumer. I also have Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations by Robert Jones and I learned exponentially more from it.

One of my biggest problems was the 1/3 of the book that was geared entirely to makeup artists. I could really care less how to put makeup on a movie star.

All in all I wish I had my 20 bucks back because after reading it cover to cover (I may have skimmed a bit during that last 1/3) I don't imagine that I'll ever feel the need to open it again. There are much better books on makeup out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars So comprehensive and helpful for a beginner, November 7, 2013
I'm 30 and have been wearing makeup since my teens but recently realized I still don't know very much about how to apply it. This book is exactly what I was looking for. It's very comprehensive, highlighting everything from how to choose the right products to how to apply makeup, and even how to get your start as a professional makeup artist. As a novice I was less interested in the 'artistry' aspects of the book since I don't ever intend to be a professional makeup artist, but even with that content I still felt like a got a lot out of the book. Prior to picking up this book I read Trish McEvoy: The Power of Makeup: Looking Your Level Best at Every Age and I SO wish I had picked up Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro first because this book is SO much better.

I loved how visual it is. It is loaded with pictures, especially when it goes through makeup application. They are also well done and do a good job of breaking down different makeup applications into steps that are easily digestible and understood. I also appreciated that there was more information on special conditions like covering up blemishes than I had seen in other books and that the book is pretty detailed on makeup application for different parts of your face, not just eyes.

As I mentioned above, there was some content in this book that didn't seem as relevant to me as a newbie, but it didn't negatively impact the usefulness of this book. I would definitely recommend it for other makeup newbies like myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars wow., April 11, 2012
I read this whole book expecting that the next page, or the next page would actually have something of use. This was written for 14 year olds who also want to be makeup artists one day. And wtf is with the blush? And the white under the eyes? I love bobbi brown's products but this is just bad. Here, let me give you all of the information in the book in one sentence: moisturize regularly for your appropriate skin type and follow the directions on the makeup packaging for application. Bam. Now where's MY 30 bucks?

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginner Book, with some drawbacks, February 24, 2014
This is a very thorough introduction to makeup with basic techniques, so I wouldn't say it's for Pros, but it is still good. However, I wouldn't say its great either, for the following reasons:
1. I still can't find a book that has makeup application for everyday women. All of the models in the book, are just that--they are models with great bone structure, lips, etc. Makeup application is easy on gorgeous women!! In addition, I would like to see makeup application for older women (there is one very small section for this). As I get older and develop more wrinkles--specifically crows feet--I am finding it harder to apply makeup, especially eye makeup.
2. All of the models in this book have PERFECT eyebrows already. I can tell you from being a licensed cosmetologist that very few women have eyebrows like this, and would like to find a book with examples of real eyebrows.

All in all its a great beginner guide with some additional information about working in the field, but I guess I'm looking for something more advanced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay for a teenager, October 27, 2012
I am disappointed. Too much is obvious, such as "Oil-free liquid foundation is for oily skin" (p. 56) or circular in definition, such as "Latin women with golden skin and olive undertones" should look for foundation with a "yellow-based golden shade." (p. 62.)

Page 70 tells how to choose a bronzer. The book says: If you have "light" skin you should choose "beigy brown with a hit of pink." If you have "alabaster" skin you should choose "pinky shimmer or peach." How is a person to know if their skin is light or alabaster, and aren't those words like pink and beige all part of a vast continuum?

One complete page is dedicated to how to apply lip gloss. Here's what it says: 1) Apply gloss to a lip brush or directly to lips. 2) Using the brush or finger, begin at the middle of the lips. 3) Apply gloss to both the top and bottom lips. 4) Wipe the edges of lips when finished. 5) The lips look fuller and hydrated. .... Is there anything in that you did not already know?

Although the book contains many photos, too many are art photos of messy makeup kits, puddles of foundation smeared together with chunks of broken lipsticks, or ladies getting white paint dumped all over their faces. These kinds of pictures waste space. I would have preferred photos that compare makeup done wrong to that done well (kind of like Christopher Hopkins did in his book "Staging Your Comeback.") And it would have been nice to feature more average-looking women in the photos. Some of the models in this book actually look better before they have the makeup on.

Okay, I've said why I can't use this book for myself, but I do think it could be nice for teens who are are just discovering the world of makeup and don't know a thing about it. The presence of the big section at the end as a vocational guidance for those who want to go into makeup as a profession further points that this is really a book for high schoolers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Look on BB website first, May 3, 2010
Chettie Copper (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
Much of this book is on the BB website. There are several good techniques in here and I enjoyed several parts of the book. There is some history and some good tips for more professional types. I am not a professional and found these insights interesting. However, BB has a motive and wants to sell her techniques and her makeup. She does not touch upon trends that are conflicting with her own. She is a great makeup artist, but I would have liked her book to be more well-rounded.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro by Bobbi Brown (Paperback - September 30, 2011)
$22.00