Featured Recipe: Sweet Potato Gratin
Definitely decadent, this sweet potato gratin is destined to become a do-or-die part of your family's holiday spread. Cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg perfume the cream with their warm flavors and seep their rich taste of fall into each layer. A mandoline makes quick work of slicing the potatoes and is worth the investment for the time it will save you in prep work. Don't forget to remove the cover for the last portion of baking time--the browned and bubbling crust is not to be missed.
Yield 8 servings
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1⁄8 inch thick on a mandoline
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together the cream, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg until smooth.
- In a 10-inch square baking dish, arrange an even layer of sweet potatoes. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cream, seasoning with salt and pepper, to form 8 to 10 layers. Press down on the layers to totally submerge the sweet potatoes in the cream mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and continue baking until the cream has been absorbed, the potatoes are cooked through, and the top is browned, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.
-- Publisher's Weekly