5.0 out of 5 stars Many, but not all, of the great Throwdown recipes
Published on October 13, 2010 by k8inut

3.0 out of 5 stars love the show, but recipes are a bit complicated
I bought this book because I love the show (and cookbooks in general). However, some of the recipes are a bit complicated or just require more work then I want to put into them. Also, there were episodes missing, which was disappointing. As of yet I haven't actually tried any of the recipes from this book. So if you like collecting cookbooks then buy it, but if you...
Published 18 months ago by sbtw

5.0 out of 5 stars Many, but not all, of the great Throwdown recipes, October 13, 2010
I have to preface this review by saying that I love Throwdown, so I don't think I can write an unbiased review. The book has recipes from 51 throwdowns with both Bobby and the competitor's recipes. The recipes come pretty evenly from the first seven seasons. Each section has pictures from and a recap of the Throwdown episode. Also, there are tons of pictures in this book, and every recipe is pictured. The Throwdowns in the book are

Barbecue
Steak Fajitas
Barbecued Chicken and Potato Salad
Lobster Club Sandwich
Pumpkin Pie

I would have loved for this book to have every single Throwdown recipe (I especially miss the blueberry pancake, pineapple upside down cake, doughnut, and chicken tikka masala recipes), but I can't hold that against this book since they had to get the competitors to agree to publish their secret recipes. All-in-all, it's a fun cookbook, espcially if you love a good Throwdown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cookbook, October 18, 2010
First of all, this is a beautiful cookbook! The quality of the paper and photographs is worth the price alone! The recipes are all winners. I have already found most of these recipes on the internet, and all of the ones I have tried are excellent. It is wonderful that so many of the competitors were wise enough to know that sharing their signature recipes takes away nothing from their business, but adds immensely to their popularity and respect from the public. Bobby Flay and his assistants have done a wonderful job writing the intros., and the recipes are laid out very well. It is a very impressive book, and I am very happy to have all the recipes handy. If you like Throwdown, buy the book; you won't be disappointed!! Heck, if you have never seen Throwdown, still buy the book; you won't be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!, October 12, 2010
Trish (San Clemente, CA) - See all my reviews
Been waiting for this companion to the awesome Throwdown for a long time. Love the format of recapping the show and providing the recipe. Bobby's food is always amazing, both his recipes and restaurants. Now that I have this in book form can't wait to try them all. I am disappointed that the Blueberry pancakes and Choc Chip cookie challenges did not make the cut. I think it could have been a little bigger volume and included more. Still 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask Yourself This-Are You Ready for TheThrowdown Cookbook?, October 14, 2010
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Many of us would answer, if asked, who for you is at the cutting edge of American cuisine? I would answer Bobby Flay. Early on in FoodNetwork's existence, opposed to Flay as he seemed arrogant and distant, but this false image has been taken away. This show exhibits more of Bobby as fun, gracious guy to be around (and even compete against) and one who really knows food.

His breadth of range of cusine is marvelous, from Spanish to American burgers to French. He appreciates range and diversity in food, but especially that of passion and skill. This show picked up on all of this, as Flay explains this was an outgrowth of his experiences in show called "Food Nation."

Having watched with interest and pleasure much of this series, this collection provides pretty much "something for everyone!" I'm really excited about having both recipes for each Throwdown, and duplicating many, and even trying to enhance some, or even prepare my own answer.

Check out the likes of: Smoked Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust; Chicken And Waffles; Peach-Blackberry Pie; Duck and Shitake Mushroom Crepes with Habanero Sauce; Caramel Apple Cheesecake; Collucci Brothers Meatloaf;

The format and style is what Clarkson Potter Pubs are known for: great large format with wonderful full color photos and great prose to accompany.

We are ready for this Throwdown Cookbook! It will be great to cook out of!

5.0 out of 5 stars 270 PAGES OF FUN AND FINE FOOD, December 8, 2010
Millions of us watch THROWDOWN on the Food Network every week. It's great fun and we learn a lot when celebrity chef and restauranteur Bobby Flay takes on cooks who claim to make the best ever of a popular dish, such as Coconut Cake, Lasagna or Grilled Cheese sandwiches (wait until you taste Bobby's made with grilled Brie, Goat Cheese, bacon, and green tomato - called by some a "taste explosion"). As we know, Bobby happily takes on these challenges even though he may never have cooked a specific dish before.

While watching THROWDOWN is a pleasure what a treat and how handy to have over 100 of these recipes available in Bobby's first cookbook. It's a beauty of a book with many of the show's favorite moments, some peeks behind the scenes, and gorgeous food photography. You'll find everything from Barbecue to Mac `n' Cheese to Ravioli with all sorts of good dishes in between. For each episode of THROWDOWN featured in the book both Bobby's and his challenger's recipes are included.

For instance, when it comes to Grilled Cheese Connie and Bill Fisher who own a restaurant in New Jersey that offers 31 varieties of grilled cheese may have thought they were sure-wins with their sandwich built with Monterrey Jack cheese, turkey and bacon on rosemary focaccia. Not quite - Bobby took the day with his "Grilled Brie and Goat Cheese with Bacon and Green Tomato." Mom's grilled cheese was great but nothing like these!

Don't we all love spaghetti and meatballs? Bobby's looked tempting but a100-year-old recipe from Mike Maroni was declared tops, and Mat Arnfeld taught Bobby a few tricks when it came to Fish and Chips (Flour whisked with brown ale for dredging the fish couldn't have hurt).

Sometimes Bobby wins and sometimes he loses, while the recipes are always terrific. It's impossible to choose a favorite, so enjoy 270 pages of fun and fine food.

- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Throwdown Challenges!, October 19, 2010
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Lots of fun! Many are familiar with Chef Bobby Flay's show, "Throwdown," in which he challenges chefs who have specialties. He tries to "beat them at their own game."

This volume chronicles some of those challenges. I recall actually viewing quite a few of these episodes. Who could forget his macaroni and cheese battle with Delilah (which he won). Here are both his and Delilah's (7 cheese) recipes. One of my personal favorite throwdowns? Buffalo chicken wings! Bobby Flay challenged Chef Drew Cerza, at Buffalo's Anchor Bar (the home of chicken wings!).

Other favorite throwdowns? Philly Cheese steak sandwich. Boy, are these great. Compare Bobby's recipe with that of Tony Luke. Meatloaf? I have developed my own favorite recipe. But it's fun to compare Bobby's recipe with that of the Collucci brothers. Muffuletta? New Orleans sandwiches! Bobby versus Mike and Jack Serio's. Then, something as simple as grilled cheese. Bobby Flay's recipe featuring brie and goat cheese with bacon and green tomato. The competitor? "The Calvert," featuring balsamic vinegar, focaccia bread, Monterey jack cheese, turkey, bacon, and avocado. Both recipes rock!

At any rate, a nice work, where you can compare an Iron Chef's take on individual chefs' signature dishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I wanted., November 1, 2010
This Books is exactly what I had expected it to be. It has several of the receipies from his Throwdown show, His and the competers. I have not made any yet, but can't wait to try about 3 that I had really wish were in there and they were. I do hope he makes a 2nd throwdown with the rest of his show in them. The Lobster Club is in there, the Steak Fajitas with Father Leo, Even the EggPlant Parmesan with David Greco, I just loved the way he cut the eggplant and made it look like Noodles. The pictures are GREAT, and each chapter tells the story of the product. GREAT GREAT BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE this book!!, January 21, 2011
Shoe queen (UT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I received this as a gift from my bf. I love cooking, I love Bobby Flay,I love the show Throwdown and I love books that any average every day cook can use. This is one of the more useful and everyday cookbooks. Not everything in the cookbook is for your simple everyday cook but I would have to say that the majority of this cookbook is. The pictures!! I love colored pictures in my cookbooks and there is picture galore! If you've watched Throwdown, you will see more than a handful of the recipes on Season 4. I went back and watched it to see what people were saying about the Chili, Fried Chicken and Eggnog waffles, Eggplant Parmesan, Arroz con Pollo and I'm making them all! :)

A must have for every cook who LOVES & ENJOYS to cook! This is by far one of my favorite cookbooks I have received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't made one bad dish yet with this book!, April 24, 2011
My g/f and I love to watch Bobby Flay's Throwdown show. However, we're always left hungry at the end and dreaming of eating at the places he challenges, knowing that we probably won't get to eat at any of them. Lo and be hold! This book solves that conundrum.

When I first saw this book at a book store, I was excited for it hoping to make Bobby's recipes. I was even more excited when I saw it had the challenger's recipes, too! I don't really care about the backstory and recap of each show that they give, but that's just me. I care more about the recipes themselves. Well, so how are they?

Simply put: delicious!! They taste even better than they look on TV. Some of them require a lot of ingredients, and some of those ingredients aren't the most common. But that's OK. You can get those for a special treat or there are plenty of recipes that use common ingredients most who love to cook will have. What we like to do is to make one dish on one night, then make the competing dish the next night and have our own little "competition". Honestly, I don't know how the judges do it. Each time the dishes are amazing in their own right.

Even if you're not a fan of the show or don't watch it, this is still a great cook book with some amazing recipes (the chicken wing recipes - both of them - are simply to die for!!!). So do yourself the favor and get this cook book or get it for someone you know who loves cooking. Its a welcome addition to any cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook!, January 9, 2011
hyside (Santa Rosa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of Throwdown, so when I saw that his cookbook from the show had a recipe for Gerard Nebesky's Paella I had to have it. I'm lucky enough to live in Sonoma County, CA so I can pretty much have Gerard's Paella when the mood strikes. He is always serving it at some event, or farmer's market, but I was excited that I could attempt to make it myself. I got rave reivews! I've also made Keith Young's Chicken Cacciatore (another hit) and Terri Wahl's Red Velvet Cupcakes (and the hits just keep coming!). This book will be at the top of my "go to" cookbooks and I'm looking foward to trying several other recipes.

Rate and Discover Movies