Published on March 9, 2012 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars It a good show moment of great fun
It a good show moment of great fun. But too few of them. I think if you started with season 2 you would be happier.
Published 26 days ago by Darren Kelk

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful show - doesn't assault your sense of decency like so many other comedies these days, March 9, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
I must admit, I strongly disliked the first episode. I turned it off twice on Hulu before finally finishing it. I just barely convinced myself to watch the second episode, and... it was inspired. Bob pretends to be stuck in the walls of his house to escape his family, and slowly goes insane (mostly because he has nowhere to poop). Consistently original and very funny. And most subsequent episodes were equally quaint and amusing.

Over time I realized there were a few fundamental reasons I liked this series more than a lot of other comedy shows around, especially Seth MacFarlane's.

#1: The family is nice to each other, despite how kooky they all are. They are supportive, and clearly accept one other implicitly. That to me is a breath of fresh air in today's comedic landscape. A year or two ago I gave up on Family Guy (after the episode where Quagmire insinuated he would have sex with his daughter once she turned 18) because I was just fatigued by the constant graphic violence and generally crappy treatment of one character to another. American Dad has sadly followed suit after staying pretty palatable for a long time - have you watched an episode of that lately? Count how often one character yells at one another, or says something really hurtful, it's like every 10 seconds. It's just tiresome and a shame, really, because the characters are original and interesting; I just don't see why they have to assault our sense of decency over and over again to make us laugh. Bob's Burger's doesn't do that, it's more like Futurama, where the jokes come from situations and goofy character choices/opinions.

#2: Bob is the straight man, unlike the crazy ones like Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin. I love that the central character is down to earth, allowing us to see the family through his eyes. He's a rock that grounds the show.

#3: The show's commitment to keeping the situations real, and creating plots that allow the neighborhood around Bob's Burgers to slowly be discovered. I feel like they are laying the groundwork for a show that has more genuine interactions between characters and community - a more "slice of life" style that will enable storytelling that imbues life lessons in addition to making us laugh.

Of course overall it's just a comedy show, but in this day and age making cynical audiences laugh is a harder game to succeed at. I feel Bob's Burgers does a good job, keeping its integrity in the process - and perhaps more importantly, it allows me to keep mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & Quirky Animation Series on Fox, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
Bob's Burgers in one of those shows not everyone is going to love. But, this quirky little show always makes me chuckle.
This show really is a standout among the other shows in Fox's Sunday night animation line up. The animation isn't pristine, but that really adds to the charm of the show. What really stands out here are the wonderful character's voices. I'm so glad that Fox has picked it up for a second season. Hopefully it will find a following and will stick around for awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series, February 17, 2012
K. Hogue (Fort Pierce, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
I love the whole enchilada about this series and I look forward to reading the blackboard specials that always have a movie based theme. I feel this one smacks abit like Dr. Katz but without the wiggles, and thats a good thing- I love the humor

5.0 out of 5 stars "Bob's Burgers" grew on me very fast!, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
I must admit, when I saw the previews for "Bob's Burgers" I was less than impressed. The animation was reminiscent of doodles, and when I saw the children I asked myself which one of these kids would be the answer to Bart, Stewie or Rollo. Well, when I caught a couple of episodes, I must admit that I was intrigued for reasons unknown. And when the series came out on DVD, I found myself buying it... and now I am HOOKED!

Bob is the anti-Homer/Peter. He's a hard-working man doing what he can to support his eclectic family. his wife Linda, while a very loving mom and wife, is at times clueless. The kids tend to be predictable, but little Louise with her rabbit-ears hat is a stand-out! And the other characters are hilarious. What really reeled me in was the dinner theatre episode; did anybody else laugh to the point of tears when Officer Julia flying tackled the robber?!?

I don't watch TV because I work long hours with little time off, but I am anxiously awaiting the next season! Just when I thought "Allan Gregory" ruined adult animation, "Bob's Burgers" renewed my faith!

4.0 out of 5 stars If only for the commentary and bonus features - BUY IT!, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
I love, love, love Bob's Burgers - especially the short season 2. This DVD set is great - it has the pilot and history of the show's development. That was insightful and entertaining. The only bummer which is a risk with any standard DVD is that there is some artifacting on the shows when watching on an HD TV. This is to be expected, but after watching the shows in HD on Netflix and Hulu, it was jarring to say the least, but not unwatchable. The commentary and bonus features make this a must have for any fan of the show, but if it is available on BluRay, it would be worth the difference. Even though it sounds snobbish, seeing the lines as crisp as the artists intended is a treat and joy to watch! Support the show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great..., November 7, 2011
As I watched it on television it was great so this is what I have to say: great animation, great humor, great cast, great television show, etc., basically a must see program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modest, Humble And Funny., January 12, 2011
When I first heard that Jon "The Hammer" Benjamin would be heading the cast of "Bob's Burgers", I was ecstatic. Benjamin is one of the greatest voice actors of our generation, belonging in a hall of fame with veterans like Seth MacFarlane and Dan Castellaneta. His voice acting--as always--was hilarious and made Bob 'one of us'. Luckily, the show isn't carried on just his voice. While I personally am not familiar with the rest of the voices, but Dan Mintz, Eugene Mirman, John Roberts and Kristen Schaal all did very well on their voices. Also, bold choice using a majority male voice talent to play the women. Usually, it's the other way around. Anyway, the show is a great watch, I seemed to have already attached myself to Gene; he's pretty funny, and it's ironically(between the longest running adult animated show of all time and the boldest adult animated show of all time), a good show for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's Burgers Season 1 DVD Review: Hilarious!, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
"As the voice of Bob from Bob`s Burgers and Sterling Archer from Archer, H. Jon Benjamin is one of the funniest guys working on television today." - Forbes

Fans of "Family Guy" and "Archer" are in for a treat as "Bob`s Burgers" the complete first season was recently released on DVD. The 2 disc set contains all 13 original episodes from the 1st season.

Bob`s Burgers is a hilarious cartoon created in the spirit of "Family Guy" and "Archer" that offers a cornucopia of slap stick humor that is suitable for MOST of the family.

In Bob`s Burgers, the show centers around Bob Belcher`s family and a 3rd generation family operated restaurant. The 1st episode celebrates Bob`s Burgers Grand Re- Re- Re- Opening during Bob`s busiest weekend of the year.

However, things quickly go array when Bob`s wife`s old beau returns to town as a gritty street tough food inspector. At the same time a rumor is started that Bob`s secret ingredient which gives Bob`s burgers their distinctive flavor, actually contains human flesh.

Bob is joined in the high jinks by his oldest daughter, Tina, son, Gene and their youngest daughter, Louise.

Bob`s Burgers is a perfect addition to your home video collection.

TheSOP gives Bob`s Burgers 4 stars based on its originality and its quick witted humor. So please go out and get your copy of "Bob`s Burgers season 1 today. Also available on 20th century FOX home video, American Dad, Vol 1-6, Futurama, Seasons 1 -5, The Cleveland Show, seasons 1-2 and Family Guy, seasons 1-9

And don`t forget to check out some of Fox`s other great programs such as GLEE, which airs Tuesday nights 8/7 c. Please check out this wonderful interview with Jane Lynch discussing GLEE and the importance of Arts and Music in schools. Judyth Piazza interviews Jane Lynch aka Sue Sylvester about GLEE

Bob`s Burgers season 2 airs on Fox on SUNDAY 8:30/7:30c MAY 6.

Disc 1 (2:31:33)
Human Flesh (21:39)
Crawl Space (21:38)
Sacred Cow (21:44)
Sexy Dance Fighting (21:44)
Hamburger Dinner Theater(21:24)
Sheesh! Cab, Bob? (21:42)
Bed & Breakfast (21:42)

Disc 2 (2:09:54)
Art Crawl (21:44)
Spaghetti Western and Meatballs (21:42)
Burger War (21:41)
Weekend at Mort`s (21:24)
Lobsterfest (21:41)
Torpedo (21:42)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Burgers, Please!, July 9, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
With Family Guy, I just want to see someone beat the tar out of Brian. He's so aggravating and full of himself, that it has often resulted in me turning the show off. The same can be said of Roger on American Dad!. He is omnipotent and so uncaring about the family and who he hurts to get his own way. With Bob's Burgers, we have The Belchers, a slightly dysfunctional family that honestly bonds together as a unit. This is refreshing in the day of the usual Family Guy clone line-up. Bob is the responsible dad and owner of his burger shop, and we like him. We really like him! His children are wholly unique individuals, and it is a joy to get to know each one. Linda, Bob's wife, is a riot. This series has a lot of King of the Hill aspects, in that it can take the often dreary daily routine of an American family and find such incredible humor in the most mundane of events. Bob's Burgers is an often down to earth show with genuine laughs that abound. But, where most other shows rely on violence or the humiliation of other family members and genitalia jokes for their laughs, Bob's Burgers shows us that just about everything can be truly funny, you just have to be able to see the humor in it. I love the way the Belchers interact with each other, and the community around them. There are no "cut-away" jokes here. No one rides a giraffe just for a half-hearted yuk. Bob's Burgers maintains a higher level of integrity in each episode. This box set has a plethora of extras in it, from commentary to the now famous Burger of the Day chalkboard. There is no doubt that if you like the show, you will "flip your burger" over this Season 1 set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully weird, FOX's best animated comedy since "Futurama", March 8, 2012
This review is from: Bob's Burgers: Season 1 (DVD)
Sure, it took a few episodes to hit its stride, but "Bob's Burgers" quickly became my favorite show in FOX's "Animation Domination" line-up. I've been waiting forever for the first season to come out on DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) and this one looks like a winner, packed with extras with commentary on every episode. Get it! Get it! GET IT!