5.0 out of 5 stars The best brand of quinoa I've found
Published on November 28, 2007 by J. Seidman

2.0 out of 5 stars Pricey
I had a scheduled subscription for this item and the quality was good. However, they suddenly decided to jack up the by ~ 30% and at that point i canceled the subscription.
I now get 4 lbs of organic quinoa in one of the big warehouse chain store for 10$ and this seems such a rip-off.
Published on January 28, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best brand of quinoa I've found, November 28, 2007
This review is from: Bob's Red Mill Organic Grain Quinoa, 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) (Grocery)
The brand you buy matters more for quinoa than many other grains. Quinoa grows covered with a layer of bitter compounds called saponins. You want a brand that's been well-washed so you can cook it straight out of the bag. Beware! Most brands say that they're pre-washed. That doesn't mean that their quinoa won't require yet more washing before it'll taste good. Bob's Red Mill does a great job, with no bitter taste whatsoever, even when the quinoa is cooked like rice in a small amount of liquid.

Also, some brands do a really bad job separating the quinoa from the chaff. I've yet to find anything but quinoa grains in Bob's packages.

This usually isn't the cheapest brand of quinoa available. But, to me it's worth spending a little more to have quinoa I can just measure and cook, without having to rinse it more or pick out bits of detritus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quinoa - Try It !!!, December 30, 2006
Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains you can eat - and one of the most delicious! It cooks in less than 15 minutes, so you can make a fast dinner using it. And how delicious it is! Mmmmmmm!!!! Softer than rice, it has a slightly sweet and nutty taste. My favorite recipe is to cook it with a small onion, a tablespoon of butter, and a half cube of vegetarian boullion (or a half-teaspoon if using powdered boullion or fresh refrigerated type). Bring the water to a boil, add the onion, butter, let boil for a minute. Then add the quinoa. Bring to boil again. Add the bullion, and turn down to a low simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, and there you go! A fantastic grain that leaves you feeling light and energetic. As for Bob's products, they are always excellent. Amazon's price is very good, especially if you live in a small town or out in the country, where it may be hard to get organic and specialty items like Bob's Quinoa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quinoa product, not the best value, July 21, 2009
Quinoa is a great food. It is very versatile so almost anyone could make it in a way they found appealing... it's easy to cook and easy to experiment with, and best of all, it is good for you. I agree with others that Bob's Red Mill has the best Quinoa product... at least the best that I've tried. It's prewashed which is a big convenience over unwashed quinoa, and you can count on the quality (I recently bought some red quinoa in the bulk bin from the local natural grocers and there was something crunchy in the totally cooked quinoa... I couldn't stand it).

This deal on Amazon is a slightly better deal than you are likely to get on Bob's Red Mill quinoa in stores. It typically sells for $9-$11 per 26 oz bag. So this deal works out to just under $9 a bag. Unfortunately Bob's Red Mill does not sell their 25 lb bags on Amazon, which is by far their best value. The 25 lb bag for me came out to $86.05 with shipping, though that may depend on your location. If you are serious about quinoa as a staple of your diet and you'd eventually eat that much, here's the math: This deal works out to $5.53 per pound of quinoa, while bulk works out to $3.44 per pound. If you eventually bought the same amount of quinoa via these 4 26 ounce packages you'd spend $138.25. So you'd save $52.20 going bulk.

A skilled google searcher can find where to get it 25 lb bags of quinoa from Bob's Red Mill, but hopefully Bob's Red Mill and Amazon will work out a way to sell them through Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally tried quinoa to great success, August 10, 2007
Thankfully, this is prerinsed because the quinoa was too small for my strainer. I steamed the quinoa the same way I steam rice i.e. in a pyrex bowl with boiling water covering it. It was ready in no time. It tasted fine until I added some salt and a spoonful of olive oil. Even without other fixings, this product tasted fantastic. It is definitely suitable as a rice substitute. I had been eating steamed oatmeal for a week and gotten sick of it so this quinoa has turned out to be a great purchase.

It took me a long time to purchase quinoa although I had seen it prepared many times on cooking shows because I couldn't tell quinoa from bulgur and couscous. I will probably not bother with couscous because it is a wheat and is less nutritious than quinoa. I am trying to be efficient in preparing nutritious meals more than I am trying to expand my horizons. I am also trying to not aggravate diabetic potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's Red Mill Quinoa, March 25, 2011
The package states that this quinoa is pre-washed. I could still taste some bitterness. I found that if I soak it for 20-30 minutes, rinse well and then cook it the taste is greatly improved. I had read that if you see suds when you rinse it there is still bitter-tasting saponins on the grain. I did see suds. I had also read that using less water than called for and simmering longer would give you a nice fluffy grain. I found this to be true. I use a little more than 1 1/2 C of water to 1 C of grain and simmer around 45-50 minutes. With these changes in preparation I rate this grain very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent whole grain, March 16, 2007
This is a superbly nutritious grain that is also easy to fix. Because it has already been rinsed, one can use it without rinsing off the hulls. I ate it first with some mushrooms with parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. It was delicious. I introduced it to someone from India and she found that she could use it with her Indian recipes. Another woman ate it with her homemade chili. It is a complete protein, so it serves as an excellent breakfast grain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product. GREAT price!, October 25, 2007
My husband loves this stuff & I was paying $4 an 8oz bag at my local supermarket. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it on sale here & in bulk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Source of Protein, October 15, 2010
This is a great source of protein if you are trying to get protein but want to avoid chloresterol. you might find it needs a little salt but that is typical of beans. It also reheats well in the microwave but use a cover incase they pop and make a mess. - The subscription plan is convenient but be careful because they can really start to pile up and be a hassle if you arent using them fast enough. It is easy to find receipies for this and hard to find in the stores.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, January 28, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's Red Mill Quiona, October 24, 2008
Bob's Red Mill products are always first class. The Quiona does not need to be prewashed, no bitter taste as with other brands.
The health benefits of Quiona are phenomenal. Proteins, amino acids, low calorie...and versatile...used in place of rice, coucous, pasta, potatoes.
Love it! Use it every day!