Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Flavor: White|Size: 26-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)|Change
Price:$41.97 - $96.22

on November 28, 2007
The brand you buy matters more for quinoa than many other grains. Quinoa grows covered with a layer of bitter compounds called saponins. You want a brand that's been well-washed so you can cook it straight out of the bag. Beware! Most brands say that they're pre-washed. That doesn't mean that their quinoa won't require yet more washing before it'll taste good. Bob's Red Mill does a great job, with no bitter taste whatsoever, even when the quinoa is cooked like rice in a small amount of liquid.

Also, some brands do a really bad job separating the quinoa from the chaff. I've yet to find anything but quinoa grains in Bob's packages.

This usually isn't the cheapest brand of quinoa available. But, to me it's worth spending a little more to have quinoa I can just measure and cook, without having to rinse it more or pick out bits of detritus.
1313 comments| 269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2006
Quinoa is one of the healthiest grains you can eat - and one of the most delicious! It cooks in less than 15 minutes, so you can make a fast dinner using it. And how delicious it is! Mmmmmmm!!!! Softer than rice, it has a slightly sweet and nutty taste. My favorite recipe is to cook it with a small onion, a tablespoon of butter, and a half cube of vegetarian boullion (or a half-teaspoon if using powdered boullion or fresh refrigerated type). Bring the water to a boil, add the onion, butter, let boil for a minute. Then add the quinoa. Bring to boil again. Add the bullion, and turn down to a low simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, and there you go! A fantastic grain that leaves you feeling light and energetic. As for Bob's products, they are always excellent. Amazon's price is very good, especially if you live in a small town or out in the country, where it may be hard to get organic and specialty items like Bob's Quinoa.
44 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2009
Quinoa is a great food. It is very versatile so almost anyone could make it in a way they found appealing... it's easy to cook and easy to experiment with, and best of all, it is good for you. I agree with others that Bob's Red Mill has the best Quinoa product... at least the best that I've tried. It's prewashed which is a big convenience over unwashed quinoa, and you can count on the quality (I recently bought some red quinoa in the bulk bin from the local natural grocers and there was something crunchy in the totally cooked quinoa... I couldn't stand it).

This deal on Amazon is a slightly better deal than you are likely to get on Bob's Red Mill quinoa in stores. It typically sells for $9-$11 per 26 oz bag. So this deal works out to just under $9 a bag. Unfortunately Bob's Red Mill does not sell their 25 lb bags on Amazon, which is by far their best value. The 25 lb bag for me came out to $86.05 with shipping, though that may depend on your location. If you are serious about quinoa as a staple of your diet and you'd eventually eat that much, here's the math: This deal works out to $5.53 per pound of quinoa, while bulk works out to $3.44 per pound. If you eventually bought the same amount of quinoa via these 4 26 ounce packages you'd spend $138.25. So you'd save $52.20 going bulk.

A skilled google searcher can find where to get it 25 lb bags of quinoa from Bob's Red Mill, but hopefully Bob's Red Mill and Amazon will work out a way to sell them through Amazon.
on August 10, 2007
Thankfully, this is prerinsed because the quinoa was too small for my strainer. I steamed the quinoa the same way I steam rice i.e. in a pyrex bowl with boiling water covering it. It was ready in no time. It tasted fine until I added some salt and a spoonful of olive oil. Even without other fixings, this product tasted fantastic. It is definitely suitable as a rice substitute. I had been eating steamed oatmeal for a week and gotten sick of it so this quinoa has turned out to be a great purchase.

It took me a long time to purchase quinoa although I had seen it prepared many times on cooking shows because I couldn't tell quinoa from bulgur and couscous. I will probably not bother with couscous because it is a wheat and is less nutritious than quinoa. I am trying to be efficient in preparing nutritious meals more than I am trying to expand my horizons. I am also trying to not aggravate diabetic potential.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2011
The package states that this quinoa is pre-washed. I could still taste some bitterness. I found that if I soak it for 20-30 minutes, rinse well and then cook it the taste is greatly improved. I had read that if you see suds when you rinse it there is still bitter-tasting saponins on the grain. I did see suds. I had also read that using less water than called for and simmering longer would give you a nice fluffy grain. I found this to be true. I use a little more than 1 1/2 C of water to 1 C of grain and simmer around 45-50 minutes. With these changes in preparation I rate this grain very highly.
on March 16, 2007
This is a superbly nutritious grain that is also easy to fix. Because it has already been rinsed, one can use it without rinsing off the hulls. I ate it first with some mushrooms with parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. It was delicious. I introduced it to someone from India and she found that she could use it with her Indian recipes. Another woman ate it with her homemade chili. It is a complete protein, so it serves as an excellent breakfast grain.
on October 25, 2007
My husband loves this stuff & I was paying $4 an 8oz bag at my local supermarket. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it on sale here & in bulk.
on June 17, 2011
Pros:

- Low glycemic carbs, fiber and protein all in one!
- Compared to pricing on other brands this one gives you the most. Of course this can change over time. But at the time of writing this review, it had the best price.

Cons:

- There is still a mild bitter taste. This is easily mitigated with a pre-wash. If you are still bothered by this I recommend Roland instead. There is absolutely no bitter taste.
Small tip on how long to prewash: keep washing until most of the bubbles are gone. The saponin is what gives it the bitter taste and the bubbles when you wash with water.
I generally put water in the pot, slosh the quinoa in the pot with my hand, pour off most of the water and repeat until most of the bubbles go away.

2 Quick Recipe ideas:

1. Cook along with rice in a rice cooker to add a bit of crunch to rice.

2. Cook with chicken broth and olive oil, and afterwards garnish with olive oil roasted pine nuts, and yellow raisins, cilantro, or parsley. Can also add curry powder during cooking.

Last tip:

Yes you can cook this in a rice cooker.
on April 24, 2013
Ive purchased this brand in the past and been happy. The 4pack that just arrived was unedible. The taste was terrible and I also noticed it didn't cook up (expand) as much as before. Tried one of the other bags with the same result. For the premium price you pay for this, thats not acceptable
on October 15, 2010
This is a great source of protein if you are trying to get protein but want to avoid chloresterol. you might find it needs a little salt but that is typical of beans. It also reheats well in the microwave but use a cover incase they pop and make a mess. - The subscription plan is convenient but be careful because they can really start to pile up and be a hassle if you arent using them fast enough. It is easy to find receipies for this and hard to find in the stores.