on October 24, 2008
Bob's Red Mill products are always first class. The Quiona does not need to be prewashed, no bitter taste as with other brands.
The health benefits of Quiona are phenomenal. Proteins, amino acids, low calorie...and versatile...used in place of rice, coucous, pasta, potatoes.
Love it! Use it every day!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bob's Red Mill Quinoa is a great value from Amazon.
Quinoa is one of the best grains to eat. It has the highest content of several important nutrients and is a complete protein. It has a bit of a nutty flavor and is a great alternative to rice. It is also gluten free.
on April 25, 2013
Ive purchased this brand in the past and been happy. The 4pack that just arrived was unedible. The taste was terrible and I also noticed it didn't cook up (expand) as much as before. Tried one of the other bags with the same result. For the premium price you pay for this, thats not acceptable
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Even though I write reviews mostly on my favorite types of escape novels, I was sparked by Amazon's enthusiasm, to take part in the grocery store and gourmet food expansions here. My first purchase (of products beyond books) included a grain called QUINOA (Keenwa), on a Super Saver Shipping.

The product arrived in very good order and within perfect timing.

In that maiden purchase (which included a novel, of course, Cleo Coyle's latest coffeehouse mystery, MURDER MOST FROTHY), I also added lavender and clove essential oils to my shopping cart, along with powdered cloves, and lavender tea. See my Listmania on Essential Oils (which indicates which items I've reviewed) for info on the values and uses of lavender and cloves, available from various vendors here.

I consider Quinoa to be the most valuable food available on the planet, a food which meets my standards for luxury gourmet in flavor (and culinary versatility), in addition to being baseline healthy with full-spectrum nourishment.

If I had to be limited to only 4 items or food groups (in addition to water, of course) to eat or drink, those would be Quinoa, Coffee, Dairy Products, and a variety of greens, spices, & nuts. Yeah, okay, dairy products; and greens, spices, & nuts may be considered more than 2 items, but, for me they're two categories.

I'm not a vegetarian because I love meat, chicken, and fish, but if I'm working with limitations, I'm making do with the most basic of basics, while still having enough food items to concoct satisfying flavor (yeah, yeah, and nutrition, too, though according to my beliefs, "nutrition" dims and deteriorates, unless it's in the living presence of "yummy.").

Quinoa, I believe, would take care of all (or at least many) basic nutritional needs.

The way I simplify my use and preparation of Quinoa is to think of it either as rice or oatmeal, and then to "gourmet it" accordingly.

-- As "rice" I add savory herbs like parsley, basil, marjoram, garlic, onions, etc. Actually, most types of herb concoctions or side foods which could be blended with pasta would also work with Quinoa. Think of what Lidia's Italian Table does with "noodle heaven"; then substitute Quinoa for pasta (I like pasta too, of course).

-- As "oatmeal" I add sweet or rich ingredients like fruit (including raisin and date types), brown sugar, molasses, maple, creme, that type of thing.

As far as cooking instructions, to me they're basically the same as rice:

- Add water or liquid in a 2 to 1 ratio. 2 cups liquid ( water, broth, vegetable, or fruit juices) to 1 cup Quinoa.

-- Instructions are given on the bag for boiling the water then adding the Quinoa, covering the pot, and simmering for 12-15 minutes.

-- I've also successfully prepared Quinoa in the microwave. You can heat the water to boil in a bowl then add Quinoa, cover, and cook. Normally, a microwave cooks 4 times faster than "outside-the-waves" cooking, but, of course that time varies with larger amounts of food. For example, 1 potato cooks (on average) in 4 - 8 minutes, 2 potatoes require double that, or 8 -16 minutes.

-- For a single serving cooked quickly in the microwave, I might use 1/4 cup Quinoa with 2/4 (½) cup liquid.

I have actually simplified the process for myself by placing those single serving amounts (Quinoa and water in a bowl) in the microwave, and cooking it on high, maybe 3 minutes, till the liquid bubbles. Then I cover the bowl with a plate "lid"; zap it for another minute or half, then let it "steep" in the microwave, without opening it, for another few minutes. (Since microwave ovens and tastes for texture differ, you'll have to experiment with your own microwave processes to get results which work for you, or just use the sauce pan method described on the bag.)

In the microwave, Quinoa seems to cook easier than rice.

But, I also cook rice in the microwave in a similar method. I don't use minute rice, since my microwave method works easily and fairly quickly, and if I cook it in a serving bowl with a plate "lid" I can just place it on the table for family style "digging in."

I love the nutty, barley flavor of Quinoa. Thankfully, so does my husband!

Regarding having the saponin rinsed off at the "factory" like Bob's Red Mill does, I'm anxious to see how that works long term. The price doesn't appear to be any higher (even with shipping added) than the Quinoa I've previously used from White Mountain Farms in Colorado, in the San Juan mountain area.

Even though it takes only a few minutes to rinse the saponin off the grain, that extra step can set me back from cooking Quinoa when I'm in a rush, or feeling low-energy, which is too often. So, I was delighted when I saw that Bob's Red Mill does the pre wash.

Regarding the saponin:

-- The genetics in the Quinoa seeds, after eons and ages of growing, had developed the saponin coating as a very effective protection against insects and burrowing varment's, like worms or parasites.

-- Knowing what saponin is and does, I began a habit of saving some of the water used to rinse Quinoa for watering my plants, or pouring on the ground where I might want to discourage insects.

-- I had a fleeting question about pre-washing: How long would the "naked" grains be able to protect themselves against parasitic invasions, once the saponin is removed. Certainly, Quinoa (being such a strong, wise-old-grain with high integrity, for many reasons) would be able to do so much longer than other similar, eons-younger food offerings.

(Added at a later date: I relish having Quinoa pre-rinsed from Bob's Red Mill, and hope that vender continues to offer the grain that way. I have seen no problems with parasites, even after having the grain stored in a cupboard for many months. When given the option, I will buy Quinoa pre-washed.)

Quinoa grows only above a 7,000-foot-elevation and requires a certain growing climate, which can be found only in certain areas of the world. Luckily for me, some parts of the Rocky Mountains are one of those areas, not tested until fairly recently (in terms of the eons and ages associated with this ancient grain from the Incas).

Interesting stories about Quinoa's long history are bountiful, but I won't get into those. A large assortment of books and pamphlets are available to read on it, and of course, many are offered here on Amazon.

I remain ever thankful for magical foods (which are both gourmet and healthy in quality), especially in our era of being told by some authorities that we need to remove the life, magic, wholeness, and flavor out of most everything. For the sake of "health"?

Here's an interesting question to ponder:

Why and how, for a while (eons), did we lose Quinoa seeds, which had "lived" long enough to develop saponin. Why and how did we find them again?

For an easy, exotic recipe using Quinoa, see my review of Virgin Coconut Oil (Certified Organic) 12 fl.oz

Linda Shelnutt
Author of several books, including:
Molasses Moon
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 6, 2012
It is possible that you crack a tooth with this quinoa. There are other stuff in there that I tried to ignore for a while. I did find, though, a quite big piece of clear hard plastic (hard and sharp--feels like glass). I am returning it and won't be buying again. If you have already bought a pack and you don't want to throw it away, make sure you check it before you cook it, ESPECIALLY if you have children, and eat it slowly. I ordered mine sometime in December, if that helps.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 2, 2008
Quinoa has longevity if nothing else, it has pedigree and is recognized as a superior source of nourishment. Popular in Peru used to be the food of choice for the less privileged. Why? Because grains and potatoes where everywhere in large amounts and the poor could always eat that.
Quinoa in America, on the other hand, has taken a lot more classy reputation and very well deserved, may I add. First thing to consider: It is unique and has a long history. Extremely regional grain. Second thing to consider: How really really good is for the human body (google it, yahoo it, very high standards as a food choice). Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Quinoa is top of the line Quinoa. Washed over and over so it looses a possible bitter aspect and turns the Quinoa as a wonderful resource and should I include: Tasty? Yes, very tasty and here goes my personal best (to put my money where my mouth is), this is a sure proof way to enjoy a plate of Quinoa.
I cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Quinoa/2 1/2 - 3 Cups of Delicious Vegetable or Chicken Broth (never Beef!)/Cook at medium heat until Quinoa is fully cooked and most liquid is absorbed (please note that sometimes Quinoa becomes thirsty and needs additional liquid, specially a higher temperatures)/Planters Peanuts (4 Oz or as much as you want and may be any other nut for that matter, but peanut is Yummy!)grinded to a fine powder-set aside/Dice in fine pieces an onion (small, large, who's counting?) and Heat some Olive/Canola/Vegetable, etc Oil on a large frying pan/Add Fresh Garlic-Crushed Pepper (the better the pepper the better the taste!)Sea or Regular Salt (See? I am not picky!) at this point your most trusted herbs and spices can go into the mix/Add the Peanut powder on the mix and then add the Quinoa fully cooked and mix it all together/Last but certainly not least Add Curry Hot or Mild, I don't care, about 2 teaspoons-more or less, do not let this part stop you-and at the end make sure you add a little more liquid so the whole thing looks and tastes like it should.
Curry, Peanuts, Quinoa! Oh Boy, do they get along well. 5 Stars for this food from the Inkas To The Tables! PS: Since I already got into it please note that the curry powder is dissolved at the start together with the broth! It surely does not go at the end when everything is fully cooked, thank you for your understanding on this matter!
on March 16, 2011
This is a good quality Quinoa but it is too expensive. I found it much cheaper (same quality product organic, prewashed quinoa) in a local chain store (Costco). It only cost about $10.00 for 4 LBs in that store. Amazon price is $30.00+ for 6 lbs. we all have to tell Amazon to reduce the price for this product. I don't recommend anyone to amazon.com for this particular product. I received broken package but Amazon was very kind to provide me a replacement with in Two days.
on March 3, 2013
Every single bag of quinoa in this four bag shipment was split at the top and one bag on the bottom also. So not only did I lose a lot of expensive quinoa, but I have grains of quinoa rolling all over my kitchen floor and counter. I'm not sure if this problems occurred in shipping or with the sealed box from Bob's Red Mill, but I would strongly suggest that Amazon rectify this situation!
on September 1, 2010
The price is very reasonable. I really love my carbs, while not low carb, is definitely better than the empty and processsed stuff that I used to eat. If you're looking for a low carb option that's similar to rice, check out TVP granules. Only 3 effective carbs per serving and even easier to make than this stuff! I've really tried with efforts to eat good but I am not always a disciplined as I should be and, let me tell you, ALL of Bob's Red Mill products are money well spent. Quinoa is simple to make, versatile, and packs some nice health benefits. The package it comes in doesn't look like much but the seeds cook up to 3 times their size, easily. So a little goes a long way both in that sense and that it's pretty filling too! I use it as a side dish, in soups and stews, and I imagine that with the right ingredients it could be used for breakfast as well!
on December 12, 2012
...the quinoa in the latest shipment of packages was bad. I did not know that I could have bad quinoa, but this was the case. The seeds did not cook well and I thought it was my rice cooker (which is I high end cooker). In going back and forth for a few months with the manufacturer to get the cooker fixed I decided to try a smaller box of quinoa that I purchased from another vendor and it cooked up fine. I tried another batch from the Red Mill and again it turned out "rotten". The same was with the next bag I opened. At this time it was too late to return the seeds for a refund and I don't know how to talk to someone from Red Hill. I am nervous to order another, quinoa is eaten daily in my house, because that is a lot to order to throw away.

Just be aware.