5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product
Published on January 11, 2010 by RedwoodShores305

3.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive
This is an okay product but it's more expensive than I can actually afford. I've found another product that is just as good but not as much money.
Published 12 months ago by Renee Cormalis

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, January 11, 2010
RedwoodShores305 (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot Starch Flour, 20-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4) (Grocery)
I use arrowroot as a 1 for 1 replacement for cornstarch in my gluten free cooking. It's a perfect replacement as I have diet where there is some sensitivity to corn. I use quite a bit of it each month so going with the Subscribe and Save program is great as shipping is free. From other vendors including Bob's Red Mill the shipping costs can be quite high and add a lot to the total cost of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob's Redmill Arrowroot Starch, February 12, 2010
This is a great alternative to regular flour as a thickening agent. I used it often when I'm making fruit pies to keep the fillings from being "runny" and oozing out of the crust. My pies not only look beautiful, but they don't have that "raw flour" taste you can sometimes get when using an all purpose flour. It's also gluten free so for people who have gluten allergies, it's great for baking and making gravies! Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot Starch Flour, 20-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful flour for those with eating restrictions, December 31, 2012
Because I have so many MD- and test-diagnosed food allergies, I REALLY have to rely on alternate flours. Arrowroot is a great flour to add to a flour mixture because it has a couple of good properties:

1) It adds "hold" if you aren't able to have eggs in a recipe. It's good to add to a mixture of rice flours, for example, which do not hold together well on their own.

2) It can also be used as a thickener in lieu of cornstarch.

On the flip side, arrowroot has a very strong flavor, so I would not personally use it as the only flour in a recipe (unless using it as a minor ingredient, such as a cornstarch thickener substitute).

As a helpful tip, often you will see the term "arrowroot powder" in recipes. "Arrowroot flour" is interchangeable with this term.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Arrowroot for a Reasonable Price, January 28, 2012
This is a good quality product. Arrowroot has many uses in the kitchen, especially for gluten free cooking and as a thickener for sauces. It also can be used in homemade ice cream to reduce ice crystals and make it creamier.

Interestingly, arrowroot was the antidote for poisonous arrows used by the Arawak Indians in South America and has been used as a nutritional food for people who are recuperating from illness. It was used routinely in the past as a beneficial ingredient in teething biscuits. An online search will reveal many of the amazing properties of arrowroot. Bob's Red Mill sells the true arrowroot i.e. maranta arundinacea

5.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, May 12, 2007
Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet DictocratsI got this stuff to make the cookies in this book. Delicious! Especially if they are made with cocont oil. A must for anyone interested in wheat-free baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy I placed this order!!!, June 8, 2011
Ruthie in Idaho (ID, United States) - See all my reviews
I have been looking for Arrowroot starch everywhere. If and that is a big IF a local store carries it, it costs about $5 for a tiny bottle the size of a spice bottle. I know how helpful Arrowroot starch can be in cooking so I knew I wanted more and didn't want to pay so much for so little, especially with summer pies and things coming up soon. I almost ordered the McCormick brand it was like $38 for two 20 ounce bottles and is a brand I trust but it wasn't available right away. I'm glad it wasn't now because I bought this instead and couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the product. I use it to thicken everything from soup to fruit cobblers/pies. It's does a wonderful job quickly thickening and stays clear so it doesn't effect the look or taste of your dish. This was a much better price than the McCormick and while it comes well sealed in plastic bags instead of a resealable bottle that's okay with me. It was a heck of a deal, I just opened my first bag and put it in a resealable lock and lock container for storage. I got it earlier this week and have already used it several times. I would not hesitate to order this again or to try any of the other products this company has now that I see the level of quality they produce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Allergy free!, November 17, 2013
R. Todd (Olympia, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
Great! I truly think that Arrowroot works better than cornstarch and flour anyway but if you have allergies it is an obvious choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessity in a Paleo and/or Grain Free Pantry, March 16, 2013
Bob's is a consistently excellent product. This arrowroot flour is no different. We use it for a lot of baking, just this morning we used in a Waffle batter ([...]). These bulk packages and the Amazon price crush anything you can buy at your local grocer. Most grocer's sell arrowroot in small spice jar size bottles for almost the same price as one of these 20 ounce packages comes out to be. Insane! Especially if living the gluten free life where this can be a baking staple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for GF Oatmeal Muffins, September 23, 2012
Since I have to be gluten free, arrowroot starch is excellent for gluten free oatmeal muffins! I can't eat chicken eggs either, so this works really well for holding the muffins together. It works better than tapioca flour in this particular recipe because the muffins turn out moist instead of dry. Arrowroot is also good in other recipes. Can't beat Bob's Red Mill gluten free products!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for cornstarch, August 14, 2011
Arrowroot was recommended to us as a "paleo" alternative to cornstarch. We have used it in an amazing pecan pie as well as various soups and sauces. A great addition to our pantry!

Bob's Red Mill Arrowroot Starch Flour, 20-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)
$32.00 $25.91